Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
bigrockk
07 2500hd classic

Question 07 Gmc 2500HD classic Will not manually shift into 1st

2007 GMC2500HD Classic: Automatic Trans, floor shift transfer case

The old girl has quit allowing me to manually shift into low (1st) gear. I can feel it is a bit "mushy" on the column shifter when trying to go into low.

I haven't looked at anything yet as I don't have a garage and am just waiting for the rest of the snow and ice to melt before I go crawling around underneath.

So what I am wondering at this point is if there is a common failure point for this. My assumption is a shifting cable issue but just a guess at this point. Basically wondering about a starting point, looks like we have some warmer weather coming up this week so i'm hoping to get a start on this soon.
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:42 AM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Re: 07 Gmc 2500HD classic Will not manually shift into 1st

It's possible that the shifting cable is the issue, but it could also be a problem with the linkage or even the transmission itself. It's hard to say without physically inspecting the vehicle.

One thing you can try is adjusting the shift linkage. There are usually adjustment nuts at the end of the linkage that can be tightened or loosened to adjust the cable tension. You could also try lubricating the linkage and cable to see if that helps.

If those things don't work, then it might be time to take it to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis. They'll be able to tell you exactly what's wrong and give you an estimate for the repair cost.
bigrockk (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 12:51 PM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

If the truck is safely chocked in place (or on a lift) the transmission shift cable can be detached at the transmission. After that, the transmission range lever can be manually placed in its detent in the neutral position, and the column-mounted shifter can be placed in the neutral position, allowing the shifter to drop into the neutral detent on the column. If the cable, column linkage, and cable mountings are undamaged, the shift cable can be adjusted for precise fit into the transmission shift lever. That should ensure proper range of operation.

If it does not, closely inspect the cable and linkage at the steering column for slack, damage, or wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
bigrockk (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:22 PM   #4
bigrockk
07 2500hd classic

Thanks guys for the replies, I'll be talking a look as soon as things dry up here a bit. I'll post back with what I find, really do appreciate the help.

Just a brief update:

Well it's April 21st and we are just on the tail end of another snow storm, turned out to be a smaller storm than expected but still not nice enough to go crawling around underneath the truck in the driveway, would have done that years ago but no more
Will update when I get underneath, hopefully before July!!

Last edited by bigrockk; 04-21-2023 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Provide update
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado