Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 12:17 PM   #1
bogun
AF Newbie

Question f4i Headlamps

I have a 2002 f4i and cannot stand that single headlamp feature! I know I can just use the high beams to have each bulb on, but I shouldn't have to. Does anyone know of a kit, bypass method, ect. that allows you to have both lamps on with the low beams, and then have both lamps use the high beam filament with the high beams? I believe the bike uses an H4 bulb with dual elements in each side. Any help in this matter would be great. Also, if anyone knows where I can print out a wiring diagram of the bike, specifically the headlamp system, I might be able to figure it out myself. The dealer doesn't seem very helpful with the wiring diagram. They'd rather try to sell me the entire shop manual. Thanks!!
bogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
Well this is how I would do it all though I am not sure if you want to.

First unhook one of the positive wires to the bulb that is always on, find which wires belong to the hi-beam and to the low-beam (they may share a ground). Then write down the diagram so you know for sure once they are unhooked and you forget which wire goes where. By some wire about the same gauge as the stock wiring. Then wire the off side into the fulltime running side. Don't tape anything up yet, as it may not work. If both sides are wired identical then go ahead and start it up and see if it is working. If it doesn't check the fuse, more times then not the lights are drawing too much current for the fuse to handle. (if this happens the daylight and hibeam probably have seperate fuses) Now try switching the hi-beam fuse with the fuse that just popped. If your lights still don't work I would tear apart the light switch console on the bars and look for a relay switch, if there is a relay switch and it will only allow 1 headlight to be on during running mode, swear for a long time, and go hit something. If you still want to have both lights running during low-beam mode, definetely go buy that book and read up for awhile on the parts that the headlight assembly uses. Screw around with other possible wiring, but make sure that the lights go off when the bike is off (duh) and make sure that when you turn the high-beams on they go off as well (otherwise a big strain on the battery and alternator).

I fooled around with the lights on several of my bikes that had dual headlamps, I found I like to leave them alone now. LOL, goodluck.
R1-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: f4i Headlamps

Quote:
Originally posted by bogun
They'd rather try to sell me the entire shop manual. Thanks!!
Wouldn't that be helpful for anything else (maintenance/repair) that you might do in the future??? Honestly, unless you're really secure in knowing what you're doing on the bike (which I'm just a noob to bikes) I'd just fork it out for the shop manual. Maybe you can split the cost with another local rider or something...

My friend who has the 2k2 F4i is being a dork, though, so he won't help me out with finding info... j/k... He's a noob too, so I guess we all lose.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote