Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 09:32 PM   #1
pellet31
AF Regular

internals

Hey I'm starting to do all of my internals and was wondering what all I need to install. I already know of the pistons, piston rings and rods, cams, roller rockers and maybe a crankshaft. Is there anything else I need and also will I have to change out my header or exhaust or can they withstand the difference in the cams. By the way my car is a '00 Honda Prelude and my mods are below. thanks
aem power pullies
car sound hi-flow cat
pellet31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
Prelussion
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Prelussion
Re: internals

Quote:
Originally posted by pellet31
Hey I'm starting to do all of my internals and was wondering what all I need to install. I already know of the pistons, piston rings and rods, cams, roller rockers and maybe a crankshaft. Is there anything else I need and also will I have to change out my header or exhaust or can they withstand the difference in the cams. By the way my car is a '00 Honda Prelude and my mods are below. thanks
First of all why are you doing your internals right now? The mods you have right now are sooo minimal i don't know why you are concerned w/ changing your pistons, rods, or even your crank. Do you know how much a new crank is gonna be? Roller Rockers? What cams are you gonna be running? For cams you might want come cam gears, valves, retainers and springs, then some ECU work to let you rev higher to optimize those cam profiles.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:54 PM   #3
pellet31
AF Regular

I've done all of the research on pricing and everything else a new crankshaft is going to cost a little over $700 that's why I was hesistant on buying it. I will be going with crower cams and je pistons, the reason I'm doing all of it is because I don't want to go into my engine more than once or twice also I checked around and because my car is so new there are no upgrades for my ECU.
aem power pullies
car sound hi-flow cat
Old 01-25-2002, 09:54 PM   #4
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
first off what exactly are you trying to do?

either way i can tell you you dont need a new crankshaft.

well im guessing your going n/a since your keeping your header (although you could be supercharging)

and no you dont need to change anything youve got.

if your going n/a with a bigger cam, depending on the cam you may or may not need new springs and retainers.

cam gears would be nice

if your doing bottom end work yu might as well replace the bearings, even though the car is a year old new is better then a year old, especially since your obviously gonna be reving a lot higher then you normally would have. you might wanna think about using arp shit to fasten down the head to, as well as a better head gasket.

a lightened flywheel helps, as does a better clutch

a bigger throttle body, port and polished head and intake manifold or euro r manifold as well as a valve job would help complement the cams quite nicely.

and one last thing
dont forget about the fuel

all that air wil require more fuel, start thinking about fuel upgrades before anything. now might also be the time to do the obd1 conversion or the ecu bypass like the ntpog have discovered.

www.ntpog.org

cant think of anything else now but im sure someone else will

whoops forgot one

dyno time dyno time dyno time
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:11 PM   #5
pellet31
AF Regular

in the far future I do planning on going turbo but that isn't for a while would any of this change, also I don't have a stick it is the sequential sportshift.
aem power pullies
car sound hi-flow cat
Old 01-25-2002, 11:56 PM   #6
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
bearings are always changed with the rods. not doing so is asking for trouble.

a new crank is not worth the money. the $700 crank you speak of is a cast crank, exactly like the one you have. now balancing, blueprinting, and shotpeening the crank you have to increase spinnability and strength would be the best course of action. don't knife edge it... it weakens the assembly, negating most of the gains with fragility.

JE, SRP, or Arias pistons would be the best direction to take, and usually come with rings. if you plan to go turbo, you may be interested in going with a lower compression ratio piston to handle higher boost pressures safely. realise that if you do this, you'll lose a lot of power until you install the turbo system.

also consider at least a blockguard, but ductile iron sleeves would be the best route for strengthening the bottom end.

conrods from eagle or crower are a good way to go.
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:13 AM   #7
pellet31
AF Regular

What would be a good compression ratio so that I wouldn't lose that much power, it won't be turboed for atleast another yr. or so so I don't want that much power loss. Also how long should I wait after all this is said and done till I can take her to the track or really run it hard?
aem power pullies
car sound hi-flow cat
Old 01-26-2002, 09:39 AM   #8
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
If you want to go turbo and plan on going with lower compression pistons and are worried about the power loss, you might want to stash the money away and wait until you have enough to do the motor work and install the turbo at the same time
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 07:52 PM   #9
pellet31
AF Regular

so many decisions, don't know what to do.....ggrrrrr!!:cry: :cry:

Maybe I just need to relax a bit:bonghitte
aem power pullies
car sound hi-flow cat
Old 01-27-2002, 01:01 AM   #10
pellet31
AF Regular

Ok I think I'm better now, I was planning on going with either 10.0:1 or 9.0:1 compression, will either of these give me a significant power loss and if so what kind of loss? If I go with a higher comression (11.5:1) what amount of boost can be safely added and will this ratio provide me with any type of losses? Also on the lesser of the ratios what type of boost can be added?
aem power pullies
car sound hi-flow cat

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical