Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
zero979
AF Newbie

Re: engine wont start need advice.

I took a plug conected it to see if there was a spark and nothing, no spark at all.
I will check the shaft seal and see if it broken. I think it might be time to get a new car what do you think should I? I will give some of the other post a try. any more ideas would be much appreciated.
zero979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Did you ground the plug threads?

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
zero979
AF Newbie

to ground the plug threads do i just hold it to metal? or how exactly do i do that?
zero979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #19
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Just hold the plug electrode tip (with well insulated gloves or pliers) against the engine block with the spark plug wire while turning it over. When threaded in its hole, the plug is normally grounded via contact at the threaded hole. I recommend using a spark gap test tool. Being hands free, it is safer...abt $10 at your parts store.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #20
Techventure
AF Newbie

Question Re: engine wont start need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techventure
I have a 92' camry V6 and I'm having the same problem. I tested and I have 12 volts to my primary coil. Testing the resistance of the primary I get a reading of 5-7 ohms. the specs. call for 0.21-0.32. I went to the wreckers and tested 2 coils they had available, both tested the same as my primary coil, 5 ohms. the test of primary to secondary is fine being about 10 k ohms.

I then took the lead off the distributor cap leaving it on the secondary and held it about a 1/4 inch from a bolt and cranked the engine. No spark.

Is it a coincidence that 3 coils could all read the same, 5-7 ohms and be defective?

I take it the 0.21-0.32 is a very critical resistance !

I have a new coil coming in tomorrow and I sure hope it is within spec.

Anybody else run into a similar situation ? Input is welcomed.

Thanks.

I put the brand new coil in I bought from a Toyota dealer. Fired the engine and it caught and then stopped after a couple of seconds. Could not get it going again. Took the lead off the distributor cap and put it a 1/4" away from a strut bolt, turned the engine over and no spark !
Thought I would try with a bare piece of copper wire in the secondary coil and held it close to the same bolt. No spark. I have 12 volts at the primary.

I'm trying to figure what to do next ??

Any help would be appreciated !!

Thanks.
Techventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #21
jdmccright
The RustBuster

My immediate thought is a blown fuse or fusible link. Next thought might be distributor wasn't bolted tight, vibrated out of position and quit.

When it ran, was it smooth and normal or slow and loping/missing? Every little clue helps.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
Techventure
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright
My immediate thought is a blown fuse or fusible link. Next thought might be distributor wasn't bolted tight, vibrated out of position and quit.

When it ran, was it smooth and normal or slow and loping/missing? Every little clue helps.

It only fired for a couple of seconds . Not enough time to get a handle on how well it ran. The part I'm having trouble understanding is why there would not be a spark at the end of the high tension lead and then the copper wire I experimented with ? If there is no spark at that point then no current is flowing into the distributor cap and providing a voltage spark to the plugs. This is a fundamental requirement unless I'm not seeing something ?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
RIP
AF -Advisor

Have you looked through this. It's from the Factory Service Manuals listed at the top of the forum. It may or may not apply depending on which engine you have. http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ig.pdf

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #24
Techventure
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP
Have you looked through this. It's from the Factory Service Manuals listed at the top of the forum. It may or may not apply depending on which engine you have. http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ig.pdf
Thanks for the information. I looked at the manual, however it doesn't refer to my engine the 3VZ-FE.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #25
RIP
AF -Advisor

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
Techventure
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP

I've looked on Autozone and no help. I found this link on Autoforums and have copied it here. I have performed all the steps as listed. Couldn't do crankshaft position sensor since my engine is a 3VZ-FE and doesn't have one.

I am at the " Check the IGT signal from ECM " I checked this and had a reading of .013 VDC. what should the voltage be ?

I haven't tested the igniter because I can't find information on how to do this.
The last item says " try another igniter".

Question: How does the igniter work in the system ?

Can it prevent spark at the high tension lead when I turn the engine over ?

At this point I still do not have spark !
The engine cranks fine.

It's been a week since I couldn't start it. NEED HELP !!

FROM OTHER POST:
Re: Car won't start

When it won't start. First check spark at the distributer from the coil. Crank holding coil wire 1/2 inch from ground

If you have spark, scope it to make sure it is adequate in voltage and correctly timed. Low voltage is coil, timing is adjustable.

If no spark, check power to coil and igniter. With ignition switch on, check that there is battery voltage at ignition coil (+) terminal.

If there is battery voltage (should be), check resistance of coil

cold
Primary (+ to -) 0.36 - 0.55 ohms
Secondary (+ to high tension) 9.0 - 15.4 kohms

hot
Primary 0.45 - 0.65 ohms
Secondary 11.4 - 18.1 kohms
If bad, replace coil

If the coil is good, check resistance of signal generator (pickup coil)

cold 135 - 220 ohms
hot 175 - 255 ohms
If bad replace distributor housing assembly

If good, check resistance of crankshaft position sensor
cold 985 - 1600 ohms
hot 1265 - 1890 ohms

If bad, replace
If good, check air gap of distributor 0.2 - 0.4 mm (0.008 - 0.016")

If bad, replace distributor housing assembly
If good, check IGT signal from ECM

If bad, check wiring between ECM, distributor and igniter, then try another ECM if possible

If good, try another igniter. Ignitor is next to coil on the driver-side strut tower. Says "Toyota ignitor" on it.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #27
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

You can't test the ignitor. Maybe if you had really specialized equipment, but not anything we can afford. Here is a good discussion of ignition system:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h23.pdf

I would call the dealer to find out the expected IGT signal voltage.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #28
Techventure
AF Newbie

I Spent 2 Weeks Looking For The Problem. Put In New Coil, Checked All Fuses, Circuit Breaker After Taking The Glove Box Out, Replaced Igniter With A Used One Just To See If It Would Make A Difference. It Didn't. By The Way The Resistance Values In Ahoms On The Old Coils I Tested And On The New Coil Were Th Same 1-5 Ohms....not The 0.21 To 0.35 Listed In The Literature. Checked Resistances On Everything I Was Told To. Took Distributor Cap Off And Cleaned Contacts And Rotor.

Finally After Trying Everything And Without Transportation All That Time And Asking For Input, I Had It Towed To The Garage That I Use. Put In On Diagnosis Which Cost Me $90.00 For That And Found Out The Distributor Cap Had A Small Crack At One Of The Lug Points Where It Connects Onto The Distributor. Replaced It And The Rotor And Away Varooooom Away We Go !!!!

Is There Not A Simple Way To Find This Out Yourself Without Going Through What I Just Went Through ?????

Please Don't Say Read The Codes......i Tried 5 Times And There Was No Code Flashing !!!!

Cost: As I Said Diaganosis - $90.00, Dist. Cap $48.00, Rotor $14.30, Remove & Replace Cap & Rotor $32.00, Towing $55.75 ( Paid For By My Insurance For Roadside Asst - $50.00) Total Net $221.37 Incl. $21.21 In Taxes.

I Replaced My Dist.cap And Rotor 2 Years Ago - Total W/taxes $40.00 !!! Diy If You Can.

I Hope This Info. Will Be Of Help To Somebody.

Moral Of The Story. I'm Not Really Sure, However Next Time And I Know There Will Be A Next Time, I Will Start With The Least Expensive Item And Replace.

The One Thing That Still Is A Mystery To Me. I Put A Copper Wire 12 Gauge Into The Secondary Coil, Held The End 1/4 " From A Bolt, Cranked The Engine And Didn't Get A Spark.
I Still Don't Know Why ! What Tells The Secondary Coil Not To Send A Spark From A Distributor Cap That Is Leaking ????

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista