Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
karnovking
Banned

anyone with experience in dealing with cars that have been sitting?

I was told that if a car has been sitting on blacktop it will hold up better than if it was sitting on dirt due to moisture and rust.

So far from what I have seen it seems to be true.

Can I get some thoughts on this.

I've got several old cars(50s-60s) which have been sitting since the late 60s or early 70s at the latest. The ones on dirt have all sunken into the ground to the point that the frame is resting on the ground.

One of the ones that got towed to the junk yard (a 52 chevy pickup) almost broke in half when the guy was pulling it up on the rollback. It must have been held together by a thread when he was done.
karnovking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: anyone with experience in dealing with cars that have been sitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnovking
I was told that if a car has been sitting on blacktop it will hold up better than if it was sitting on dirt due to moisture and rust.
Can I get some thoughts on this.
This is very true. I have seen this many times.

IMO its more important to park a car on pavement than to cover it, for long term out door storage.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
karnovking
Banned

yeah, its too bad. I got some rare ones. Left to me by my dad.

they were parked with the intention of fixing them. then the months and years went by... and you know how that goes.

One, I went to open the hood on and it just peeled back like a banana peel.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
blkmonday
AF Regular

ive seen cars with trees growing through them. its awfull what happens to them when parked in the mud and grass. i recently sold my house and 3 car garage....moved back in with my folks and had to park my 66 olds for the winter in the backyard by the barn (not in the barn) for the winter. i parked it on a double layer tarp and wrapped it in tarp with bungee chord. it looks like a big blue beached whale. now that the weather is breaking ill assess the damage...hopefully not much. the car didnt see rain or snow for the past 15 years ive owned it...breaks my heart to see her outside all winter. keep your cars on pavement if possible the earth will eat your undercarriage like no tommorow if givien the chance.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
karnovking
Banned

Yep, I got a late 50s rambler ambasador 4 door sedan with a tree growing through it. I think it would be easier to just cut the car instead of the tree. Also a 63 or 64 International big truck (with a 5th wheel) with a tree growing through the frame.

Got about 18 cars total, which have been sitting on dirt/mud. Some as long ago as the early 60s and some of the more recent ones, the mid seventies. So I have no doubt anything mechanical on them has long ago seized and rusted up.

I have had 2 towed out already and sent for scrap. When the tires sink into the ground over time, it is amazing how tough it is to pull them out. The dude with the rollback was really straining his equipment.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Let me ask this. If you don't have any pavement to park on what about other surfaces such as crushed stone or a heavy plastic tarp spread on the ground ,then put the car on top of that? I don't have pavement in my yard,(too expensive right now, need money to build pole barn.)I do have the option of crushed stone and a plastic tarp. I tend to think the stone would be better, but the plastic also seems to have some benefits. Any thoughts??

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
blkmonday
AF Regular

i live in connecticut and the winters here are pretty harsh. i sold my old house that had a garage and moved to another town to a house without a garage. i stored my 66 olds wrapped in a tarp under a car cover and on top of a tarp with the tires on wood planks. it looked like a big blue whale in the backyard. this weekend i opened it up and it held up quite well. there was dead mouse in the backseat though. the mothballs didnt work.as far as the the tarps go i recommend it. ill be doing the same next year untill the new garage is built. i just need to figure out how to keep out the field mice. luckily no damage. also make sure your carb is sealed up. ive seen squirrels and mice nest in air cleaners and leave there nutshells all down the carb barrel and inside the manifold. also check your air cleaner before first spring start up...otherwise you will be cleaning up burnt hair and feathers behind your tailpipes.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars