Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
hahersch
AF Newbie

Remote start and key?

Does ANY remote start system exist that DOESNT require you to put the key in the ignition to RESTART the car after entering?
hahersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Remote start and key?

Hunh? Several remote start systems exist that do not kill the engine immediately after opening the door. The main reason to need to put the ignition key in and turn to "Run" is because of the steering wheel locks. On any modern car, if you don't put the key in the "Run" position you will not be able to freely turn the steering wheel. Also, there may be some electronic features that are not powered by just the remote start.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Remote start and key?

For what vehicle? Some of the newer GM units you don't need to restart the vehicle, just turn the key to "ON" and go. I had a factory remote system installed by the dealer on my 2006 Uplander ( did not come installed from the factory, yet was set up to accept a dealer installed factory unit.) I start my unit in the morning when I need it by pushing the "LOCK" button, then hit the "Start" button and hear it start . Once it's running, I then unlock the doors to the van by hitting the "UNLOCK" button on the fob. The vehicle does not shut off when the doors are opened, and all I have to do is turn the key in the ignition to "ON" and go. One safety feature with this system is that if one of the doors is ajar, before you attempt to start the vehicle, the remote start will not operate. Is this the type of system you are talking about?

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical