Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
mark_gober
AF Regular

Re: 2000 3.8-Neutral SftySw-Is this the shaft?

WindstarMom,

I'd clear the code and see what you get. That code that you got does correlate to a Park/Neutral safety switch. I'd clear it and restart and see if it comes back. I'm doing some additional research and I'll post anything pertinent that I find. I think it is just a misadjusted sensor if it's anything.

Mark
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
mark_gober
AF Regular

WindstarMom,

Alright, I think I've figured out your issue. I believe that your switch is slightly misadjusted. If you refer to your picture, you can see that the bolts are not centered in the hole.

The middle of the switch is anchored to the shaft. It would be possible, once you've placed the switch on the shaft, to rotate the outer portion of the switch and actuate the switch. I believe that's what you've done here, if ever so slightly. I'd rotate your switch so that the bolts sit squarely in the middle of the holes and lightly torque them down. Clear/rescan your code and see what you get.

From what I've seen on the internet, the switch should have a mark on the inside (rotating portion) part of the switch and the outer part. When those are together, the switch is in neutral. You can put your van in neutral and those marks should be aligned. If they are off, that's your problem.

Mark
Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Place the Windstar in neutral, then adjust the switch until the marks line up. Tighten it down at that point. As stated earlier, erase the code and drive it.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #19
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Thank you northernpiper and way2old

I have done the lining up of the line on the center turning thing with "N" on the outer piece and it works fine but the code (p0708) is still there... the lever with the oval shaped hole that goes over the center nut goes on with ease and fits down easily.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you are talking about, Mark!! I will go out tomorrow and check to see if when I re-adjusted the 2nd time if it straightened out-I hadn't even noticed that!

But, should start the van while still in Neutral instead of putting it in Park?

I have already driven it (only 1/4 mile, tho') and it felt fine, easier to put it in gear and everything, but if you all think something is still wrong then I trust you all.

Now don't you all go and celebrate too much tonight ...I am still going to need your help in the new year.LOLOL!

Last edited by WindstarMommy; 12-31-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: clarity
WindstarMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Happy New Year!

Well, I still go out every once in a while to try to align the lines perfectly. The codes are still there but the O/D OFF and CEL still are on although she still drives even better to me now.

NOW I noticed that my reverse lights don't come on when backing up. TRS/neutral switch mis-alignment issues, huh?

I will keep adjusting until I get it right.
If I should encounter further problems I hope I can come ask for help again. I hope I didn't get on your nerves with this issue too much.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
mark_gober
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindstarMommy View Post
Happy New Year!

Well, I still go out every once in a while to try to align the lines perfectly. The codes are still there but the O/D OFF and CEL still are on although she still drives even better to me now.

NOW I noticed that my reverse lights don't come on when backing up. TRS/neutral switch mis-alignment issues, huh?

I will keep adjusting until I get it right.
If I should encounter further problems I hope I can come ask for help again. I hope I didn't get on your nerves with this issue too much.
Windstar,

I think that do, in fact, have a misaligned (or possibly bad) transmission safety switch. That switch is also what tells your computer that you selected reverse and your computer turns on the reverse lamps.

Basically, there is a mechanical system and an electrical system. Your mechanical system is working fine, but the electrical system is still out of whack. I can offer you a troubleshooting technique.

Put your car back in neutral and remove the switch again. This time, leave the connector connected. If you manually rotate the inner part, you should see your reverse lights illuminate. If they never do, you almost certainly have a bad switch. I suspect they will.

If I were you, this is what I'd do. I'd put your car into Neutral. (mechanically) Then I'd remove the switch and manually put the switch in neutral by lining up the marks on the switch. I'd then gently place the switch back on the shaft and tighten it down ensuring that the switch stays in the aligned position. If you get that, you should have it down.

One final thought. Did you, by chance, check the part number on the new switch vs. the old switch? A little trick of the trade, but you should always keep the old part until you have the new part in hand, installed and working. Always compare the new part to the old one. Part numbers don't always match, but if they've changed it, the retailer or dealership will tell you that the new part is equivalent to the old part.

Keep trying and keep us informed.

Mark
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Hey, Mark & everyone! The code is gone! I (with your help) have done it!

When you wrote: " I'd then gently place the switch back on the shaft and tighten it down ensuring that the switch stays in the aligned position".
that is what I was doing wrong. Everytime I would tighten that center nut it would slip out of alignment. But I thought that the van wouldn't start if even the smallest thing was wrong so, I thought everything was right.

Now I have to wait until my child wakes up to let me know if the white lights come on when I go into reverse.

"A little trick of the trade, but you should always keep the old part until you have the new part in hand, installed and working. "
Good Idea! My new part came from AutoZone for $30 plus tax. I will remember that.

Thanks, Mark and to everyone who helped.

UPDATE: The reverse lights are on! Big Burgundy is fixed! (at least for now)

Last edited by WindstarMommy; 01-02-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
mark_gober
AF Regular

Congratulations! I've been working on cars since I started driving (and before then on my dad's car) and I still enjoy defeating those tricky problems that aren't easy fixes. I've got a P.O.S. 2000 Kia with 190,000 miles, a 1995 Windstar with 180,000 and a 2000 Windstar with 160,000 miles. I often joke that I'm like a crazy stalker with my cars. I decide when our relationship is over, no them.

Good luck and don't be afraid to post future problems. I've found this forum to a fantastic help. (and I've been on many forums that are ghost towns...this isn't one of them)

Mark
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #24
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Quote:
The code is gone!

UPDATE: The reverse lights are on! Big Burgundy is fixed! (at least for now)[/b][/u]
Congratulations! That's a job well done. I hope you don't get any more problems, but if it still happens we all will be glad to try and help!

Quote:
Oh, and Oscar the Lincoln Town Car will always be my favorite sedan car choice. I rented one in 1991 for a year (don't ask) and fell in love with the comfort of it. The only bad thing at that time was the shocks or something with the back end of it. I guess they've improved on it by now.
Yeah, it's one of the greatest rides I've ever driven. It used to be my brothers car, but he died in a car accident along with my father 4 years ago (sad story) so I decided to try it before deciding on wether to sell it or not, when I first drove it I was so happy with the ride comfort that I never thought about trying to sell it again, I've been fixing small details on it, most of them it's common maintenance work, but so far so happy with it!

I know what you're talking about with the rear suspension, the air springs get worn with time and develop small cracks which makes them leak the air keeping the compressor running all the time (which eventually gets worn) or the air leak is so big that the rear end will sag. It really is not a big deal taking into account it's not that hard to replace them, I've never done those on mine but it should take about an hour, or 2 for the first time, to replace them and aftermarket parts aren't that expensive anymore, plus you get lifetime warranty . I would have rented one for as much as I could afford it too!

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

"...brothers car, but he died in a car accident along with my father 4 years ago (sad story)"
Oscar, I am very sorry that happened. I send to you my heartfelt condolences. (((hug)))
__________________________________________________ ____
Big Burgundy is back to jerking I guess when she's goes from 1st to 2nd gear. When I go up hills its like I can't get up the speed no matter how wide open her throttle is.

I guess I am off to search the forums for the next couple of days again and do some extensive reading. (((sigh))) I just hope the work that may need to be done is something that I am able to do.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #26
mark_gober
AF Regular

Quote:
"...brothers car, but he died in a car accident along with my father 4 years ago (sad story)"
Oscar, I am very sorry that happened. I send to you my heartfelt condolences. (((hug)))
__________________________________________________ ____
Big Burgundy is back to jerking I guess when she's goes from 1st to 2nd gear. When I go up hills its like I can't get up the speed no matter how wide open her throttle is.

I guess I am off to search the forums for the next couple of days again and do some extensive reading. (((sigh))) I just hope the work that may need to be done is something that I am able to do.
Is it the engine jerking or the transmission? What about check engine light? Are you getting one?

Try starting it in L1 and then manually shifting it to L2 and see what you get.

Mark
Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #27
MARZBX157
AF Regular

Nice to hear you got it done.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #28
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Quote:

Quote:
As asked above:
Do you have any warning lights on the dashboard?, how bad is the jerking?, does it feels like engine or transmission?.

Do you have any idea when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #29
WindstarMommy
AF Newbie

Hi, all.
Thanks, MARZBX157. I had to just, adjust then re-adjust like 20 times

Hi Mark & Oscar. You guys are way too technical for me, LOL! I have no idea how to tell if it's the engine or transmission jerking Tell me how to tell.

*fuel filter replaced Oct 23, 2010. I replace them as scheduled.

1. After coming to a stop when I go to make my turn I will press on the gas and then she will start jerking...feels like I am driving a stick shift car with no experience. (I know how to drive a stick, tho' )

2. When I finally get her going to speed limit on the road she will just lose speed (slow down) right while I am driving in traffic or in a flow. I can see the speedometer drop from 60-65 down to 40 within seconds --all while my foot has the gas pedal all the way down!

I am terrified that this will cause an accident. It almost DID while I was going through the hills and mountains in West Virginia I do a lot of back and forth traveling from Michigan to North Carolina.

I know that ALL the liquids/fluids need flushing and replacing. They haven't been done since I bought her in 2006 and I am quite sure the previous owners never did.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #30
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

I'm new to this whole thread and just jumped in at the TRS problem but did the van do this sort of thing pre replacement of the TRS? Have you checked all vac lines, MAF and other things?

p
Muskoka Canada
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alignment , neutral , safety , switch , trs
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar