Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 AM   #16
MrHappy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy
I think its a real shame that some pastimes like just watching some sports are more socially acceptable than more creative hobbies like modelling. It seems ignorance has created an image of the geeky teenager with no friends sat huddled over a "toy" car alone in his room..

We all know that's far from the truth.

I work in the computer games industry and its only recently that computer games have become more socially acceptable to Jo Public. 5 years ago most of my friends (aged 20-30) laughed at my job, now they think its cool and most ask me if I can get free games for them....
Why?? Because its now part of their lives.

I agree that you should build models for your own enjoyment and not for what other people think.
But.. The "geek" factor puts many people off even trying a hobby that they could find very rewarding. Because its the new buyers that help the hobby grow it unfortunately makes the scale model market a very small one.
Like computer games 10 years ago you have to travel a long way to find a good retail outlet that can supply you with all your hobby requirements. Now games shops are everywhere and the consumer benefits from high sales with new technology, variety of content and competitive pricing.
Without sales growth supply and development of new products for our hobby is small, slow and limited...

Than again it would be interesting to know how many of us like it that way?

I'll now get off my soap box and go convert some more of my friends, hopefully female ones (now there's a challenge)....
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:43 AM   #17
egon_dude
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to egon_dude
heres my 2 cents . . .

well as far as being socially acceptable, modelling is much more so than a lot of pastimes (like shooting, hunting, smoking, drinking, etc) although some of the chemicals we use are pretty nasty so there might be some issues there. . . but to be honest i myself wouldnt go shouting it out to everyone that i sit at home and make models (although i do lots of sport and stuff too). Im 18 years old and not many people i know of my age make models and i know that a lot of them would think it was pretty sad. But ive shown a few of them pictures of my models and they are really impressed, one guy i know even offered me quite a lot of money for a RC yacht i designed and built a while back, so i think most people are quite interested in it. Its pretty useful too, it teaches you loads. From making models of all sorts for as long as i can remember, im pretty competent at painting, woodwork, metalwork and other stuff- which definately helped me to get 2 A grades in my A-level Art and Technology courses this year!

Only smarties have the answer . . . .
egon_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #18
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Iused to worry what people thought but not anymore.
I really couldn't care less what they think.
Ask them what they do....most probably do nothing and just like to take the piss out of someone else's hobby.

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:52 AM   #19
RicardoD
AF Newbie

I think when you are younger, 16-21, you may care more what other people think and your peers may be more likely to say "that's for kids" as each person is trying to assert their adulthood at this age. I have been sharing with my coworkers my re-entry into the hobby and they think its great. But then again, I work with engineering geek types! Seriously, all my friends think its great and my wife knows it will be something I share with my son as he grows older.

I think modelling is a terrific hobby and can teach all sort of skills as well as educate in the particulars of vehicle design. In particular the auto modelling that we enjoy helped to educate me on the main systems in our cars: engine, driveline, suspension, steering. I am a mechanical engineer and the modelling I did as a kid went a long way towards exposing me to all the different configurations of vehicle suspensions, drivelines etc. My desire to learn more about each system, how its made, the materials involved, and the design specifics helped drive me through engineering school.

So who cares what other people think!

RicardoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:00 AM   #20
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Cool Re: is modeling sociably acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublinguy
Sorry but not to sound like a complete ass and I think the guys here that know me know that I am not one but who gives a flying f***.

Firstly the hobby is for your own enjoyment no matter your reason for it. Whether it be for stress relief, to escape from your normal day to day things ie work, school.

Secondly you are not harming anyone in anyway. Although you might build a model alone modelling is still a very sociable activity. Well certainly for people who are lucky enough to have access to the different model shows and the like that are on. In reality the only person you might be hurting would be your girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance/wife/lover only because you pay more attention to your models then your significant other.

Thirdly (im nearly finished I swear) certainly for younger generations I think its a fantastic past-time, it teaches them a lot, patience, discipline,respect and of course some of the skills acquired may point them towards a career they may never have thought of.

As for me, well my parents know I enjoy it but dont say much some friends know and one in particular gives me stick for acting like a kid but she is only pulling my leg and my gorgeous fiance supports me doing it. Actually its a relief for her because if I am annoying her (happens a lot) she just tells me to go play with my models. Ah just realised why I annoy her so much

Ok I have said more then enough, only 6 more hours an I can go home to work on my models.

Ciaran
There's nothing more to say!! My sig tells the story of how I feel
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:04 AM   #21
[ c e l s i o r ]
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to [ c e l s i o r ] Send a message via MSN to [ c e l s i o r ]
"Spend money on a real car" is what I usually get from some, but others also like it (have gotten a few friends into it also who've just ordered their first stuff from HLJ.com)

[ c e l s i o r ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:39 AM   #22
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX
Non-modelers to me are like wow, you can actually do that? I think its so hard, or wow, I think thats a cool hobby.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:06 AM   #23
Diesel2NR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diesel2NR Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel2NR
I get asked why I still play with toys...they usually get a "**** you buddy". I like building models, so I don't really care what other people say about it.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:10 AM   #24
freakray
AF Modelrater

My landlord think it's cool that I build models in my free time.

Think of it this way, if you're building models you're not loafing in front of the TV or doing something that involves a game console or close encounters with the law.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #25
Rtuned
AF Enthusiast

I went to those real car forums in SG to promote car modeling. And these ass told me that "models is kid stuff, adult don't do that! Modeling is totally a waste of money and time." He said,"I collect wines and it at least can get me back some hard cash, if not, I could drink it myself." I told him the reason of modeling is good stuff, but is everybody different point of view. So in SG, there's not alot of modelers, and almost all that are pretty good one are in AF already. As for those who did not show up, they are the bunch who can't accept negative feedback...aka Loser!
that's why I try my very best to let most of SG modelers come to AF, to get into this big modeling field.

Rtuned
Old 08-20-2003, 11:19 AM   #26
SonyMobile
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SonyMobile Send a message via Yahoo to SonyMobile
Re: is modeling sociably acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray
My landlord think it's cool that I build models in my free time.

Think of it this way, if you're building models you're not loafing in front of the TV or doing something that involves a game console or close encounters with the law.
Thats exactly the way I feel, when my buddies say there going out and i should come (this usually involves ME paying for the beer that gets everybody drunk, then we end up causing trouble) so, i just say no, sorry, i have some.. "painting" i have to finish. Most of my friends think its pretty cool, but i get the odd one that says stop playin with little kids toys and buy a real car, first of all, there not LITTLE kids toys, it says on the box, for ages 12 and older! , but i enjoy it and i can make just about anybody shut up when they see the finished result, my girlfriend thinks its pretty amazing, "i'v never seen a model car look that nice" she's usually pretty impressed that i can spend hours on end up in my room hunched over my desk and large chunks of plastic, painting them with a toothpick (i use toothpicks when doing small details)

But most of you are right, Its not a really excepted thing to be doing if your older then 10, because yes it is considered "child play" but like that one guy (sry cant remember your s/n) said I model for myself, and no one else, thats the same way i feel, models keep my out of trouble, they increase your patience, and skill everytime you touch em, o and i forgot to mention, the great high you can get off that paint! j/k.
SonyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:39 PM   #27
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Most people just don't understand the complexity of it. When I tell people I model they go "thats cool" but you know they only somewhat mean it, but then when they see a finished project or one in progress they love it. Its just that most people these days "don't have the time" to work on a model. Honestly myself at 20, It's hard for me to make time for it and sometimes when I do work on them I feel bad because I should be working on something more important. I actually have over 10 models just sitting in boxes that I want to make, but I have a feeling they won't get done for years

I actually gave my gf a model for her graduation present and some of her friends knew I had been taking a lot of time on this "present." Then one who hadn't saw it and wasn't so suprised because she actually thought I had just bought it for my gf and didn't make it! I honestly thought it had lots of work left, but I knew she would never know
Old 08-20-2003, 05:56 PM   #28
circuitR
AF Enthusiast

I fully agree with Dublin guy, like you I have an understanding girlfriend, who thinks my hobby is awsome and shows how creative I can be. Besides, it beats sittin' on the couch gettin' fat watching survivor!
As for you Richard, I know the mini is not japanese, I like all cars, but mostly japanese.
P.S nice pic of you in the latest Perfomace car mag, I see you driving around greenlane alot.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #29
Fastphil
AF Regular

When I saw the title of this thread, I was just gonna skip everyones' replies and say "I build for myself and I don't give a flying **** about what other people say".

So I guess I'm not the only one. I get the "that's for kids" comments, but when I show the finished product, they don't laugh any more. I showed my boss a pic of the Revell Civic Si I built, and he asked me how much the guy was selling it for! He thought it was a 1:1 car. When I told him I built it, he asked me wtf I was doing working there... (security guard)

I also agree that it keeps me out of trouble, not that I'm the type of guy who gets into trouble in the first place. But as a security guard I see firsthand what young people without goals or hobbies end up doing, and I'd much rather spend time alone in my basement.
Fastphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:28 PM   #30
(_S200_)
AF Newbie

wow thanks for all your feed back and i think its great that we all so pationate about our hobby
(_S200_) is offline   Reply With Quote