Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
toyota00
AF Enthusiast

Out of the Can or Airbrush

If I buy some tamiya Lacquere paint, is it best to decant it or spray it straight out of the can? It is just going to be used for the body. Thanks
toyota00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Out of the Can or Airbrush

Out of the airbrush gives you better control and more consistent coverage, if you've not got much experience with airbrushing, use it out the can and you can't go wrong.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Tamiya TS rattlecans are great to use and the paint also works well through an airbrush. So either way will give you a good result with some practice. As with most things in this hobby there is no clear cut answer, see what works for you.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
americanmuscleman
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to americanmuscleman

i have a question, if i decant some tamiya laquer to shoot through my brush, do i need to thin it or is it already thing enough?
americanmuscleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
toyota00
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmuscleman
i have a question, if i decant some tamiya laquer to shoot through my brush, do i need to thin it or is it already thing enough?
I was told that when the paint is decant, it is fine??? I am not to sure though.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
WasteGas
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmuscleman
It's already thinned enough out of the can. Just gas it out for a few minutes before using it.
WasteGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Yeah it should be thin enough, although it will require several hours (in my experience) to gas out. If you think it needs thinning, use lacquer thinners.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Captain Mark
AF Enthusiast

I disagree with the above about decanted TS paints.
In ALL attempts at airbrushing decanted TS paint, the result has left me with a sort of webbed and mottled appearance to the finish. It wasn't until I used Tamiya lacquer thinners with it that I got a good finish to my job.

I'm also not so sure about waiting for it to gas out. I don't see the point. You spray it from the can onto a model, so why not decant straight to the airbrush and then straight to the model. Plus, when you mix the proper lacquer thinner into it the 'gassing' effect stops immediately.

Just my $0.02 on what works for me. You'll just have to take some time to experiment I think, find what's best for you, and make sure to use some scrap plastic for the first attempt until you get the hang of it.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Well, whenever I try to pour decanted paint into the airbrush cup before letting it gass out, I end up with a mess as it bubbles over the sides. That is why I recommend the gassing out time, even though others on this board swear they don't need it. Same deal with the thinning, I personally like all my airbrished paint very thin, so it builds up in slow layers, others have different techniques and prefer it thicker. Just goes to show how in this big wide world there is plenty of scope for people to be different and still right for them. Seaching for the one true way is not gonna work.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
toyota00
AF Enthusiast

Looks like I will be experimenting alot. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #11
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
Just goes to show how in this big wide world there is plenty of scope for people to be different and still right for them. Seaching for the one true way is not gonna work.
I couldn't agree more. Any time people ask for advice, that's all it is, advice. I've gotten as much advice that didn't work at all as I have advice that has been right on the money. Whenever someone says "This is how I do it..." that's just a good starting point, what you end up having success with will probably be somewhere around there, you unfortunately have to find it yourself. But that's why this is so much fun, eh?

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
Yeah it should be thin enough, although it will require several hours (in my experience) to gas out. If you think it needs thinning, use lacquer thinners.

I'd agree with that. Remember also that the paint comes out quite cold - I like to allow it to achieve room temp before spraying - so it pays to leave it for a few hours. If you spray into a jar, seal it up with the lid and gently agitate or shake it, undo the lid slowly (covering with a tissue or rag as you'll get covered with paint!) and reseal and repeat- this help the gassing out process. I have never had to thin Tamiya paint - shooting at about 25psi, it goes on great. I have also had success from the can.

Paul
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #13
ToMiNAToR333
Banned

dude i would decant it and spray it thru ur a/b...
the reason is say this is although u can get a great finish from the canes, u will go thru alot of paint, i dont know if im doing something wron but i always seem to only get 3-4 coats (2 light coats and 1-2wet ones, towards the end of the can i develop a fear of running out of paint mid spray session so i dont push my luck...) from a can... and from my limited a/bing experience id say u could get alot more coats out of the same quantity of paint.... also u have the added control that an a/b provides....
ToMiNAToR333 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling