Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Tranny fluid low and rough shifting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT

as I thought this is totally your opinion......

I read the instructions and guide on the container as to whether this can be mixed with the older dextron III....

my experience is that it is not necessary to flush out the transmission just to insure that all is dextron VI...

now if the fluid is damaged then this means a complete cleaning of all transfluid lines and torque converter...

To start no one said they could not be mixed but technically they should not be mixed for obvious and sound reasons. From what I can see you did not read my whole post (#12) to include the note at the bottom after the pic. Obviously if you do a DIY pan drop service not a flush and decide to switch over to Dex VI there will be residual Dex III. But I'd rather have 80% Dexron VI versus 80% Dexron III or some other weird mix in my autotransaxle(s). Otherwise why switch over. All the Dexron III will do by mixing disproportionally is dilute or reduce the capability of the new Dexron VI which is clearly a superior product.

What GM cars do you own with a 4T65E autotransaxle? You know the one subject to all the problems or issues. Most of us that own GM cars with the 4T65E or 4T65E-HD versions are not willing to take any chances but would rather do the job properly. Some may even take it to a GM dealer and have a fluid exchange type flush done but is that improper? I have three GM cars with this specific autotransaxle, over 10 years experience with them and know better. Better safe than sorry.

Additionally, you failed to answer my question. I don't care about your personal experiences or how you interpreted what the container said but asked you the following below or to disprove my opinion. What I am looking out for is the welfare of our AF community and ensuring they get reasonable or proper advice. A lot of that is based on common sense and sound maintenance not what some container tells you since obviously those companies will not be paying for any possible damage that could occur. It would be sad and reckless to tell them to go ahead and mix the two without any clarification and you will be just fine.

"Show me where it says mixing the two is recommended or an acceptable practice and there will be no future issues including liability."

You failed to do that. Not only is it my opinion but has been a general concensus of the automotive on-line community for years since 2005 when we first starting discussing Dexron VI. Anecdotal but it supports my position. See links below.

Click here

Click here

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
j cAT
AF Fanatic

[quote=BNaylor]

To start no one said they could not be mixed but technically they should not be mixed for obvious and sound reasons. From what I can see you did not read my whole post (#12) to include the note at the bottom after the pic. Obviously if you do a DIY pan drop service not a flush and decide to switch over to Dex VI there will be residual Dex III. But I'd rather have 80% Dexron VI versus 80% Dexron III or some other weird mix in my autotransaxle(s). Otherwise why switch over. All the Dexron III will do by mixing disproportionally is dilute or reduce the capability of the new Dexron VI which is clearly a superior product.

I agree with you ,,,as this is my opinion on transmission fluid servicing , "that all the fluid being removed and replaced is the best method to ensure transmission life/performance" ...

what I don't agree is, "that you believe your opinon and knowledge is superior to what the fluid manufacturer recommends'' , as to its compatibility......

If it were as you stated a must do proceedure "replace all fluid"
MR. GM would have supplied the vehicle with a method to safely remove all of the old fluid ... like how about a toque converter drain plug????

so owners now get the transmission flushed at the GM dealership at the recommended interval of 100,000mi and soon find disaster...

If these transmissions are so fragile or abused the owners must use common sense and simply do frequent fluid changes and not wait until the fluid looks smells/ bad ... and never ever use the flush proceedure .. now thats my opinion totally..

as far as warantee of the product fluid used.. you know that no company will guarrantee this ...even the vehicles we buy new from GM its a battle to get repaired under warrantee ....

simply stated just because your changing over to the new Dextron VI from the older dextron III ,,as written on the container from the fluid manufacturer it is compatible and is not an issue ..
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #18
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
I agree with you ,,, as this is my opinion on transmission fluid servicing , "that all the fluid being removed and replaced is the best method to ensure transmission life/performance" ...

what I don't agree is, "that you believe your opinon and knowledge is superior to what the fluid manufacturer recommends'' , as to its compatibility......

So you agree with me in part but disagree. Careful j cAT. Like some of your other posts in this forum that is starting to sound like a personal attack.

My opinion is based on erring on the side of caution. What really counts is what GM says and not the fluid manufacturer or any misinterpretations of some ambiguous label. GM only specifies and licenses the Dex VI specifications. They do not make or produce any of the Dexron VI ATF on the market.

Quote:
MR. GM would have supplied the vehicle with a method to safely remove all of the old fluid ... like how about a toque converter drain plug????
GM does. It is called the dealership service department where they have the proper equipment to do the job. For example all the local GM dealerships are now using the J-45096 Flushing and Flow Tester for any 2005 and prior Dex III to Dex VI conversion/transmission fill. The TSBs on Dex VI state that "It is highly recommended that the clean oil reservoir be purged of Dexron III and then filled with Dexron VI". Furthermore, many GM dealers are reluctant to do the conversion and recommend owners stay with Dex III for now which I disagree with.

Quote:
If these transmissions are so fragile or abused the owners must use common sense and simply do frequent fluid changes and not wait until the fluid looks smells/ bad ... and never ever use the flush proceedure .. now thats my opinion totally..
I asked you earlier what GM cars do you own with the 4T65E autotransaxle or how much experience do you have with this specific autotransaxle? You continue to evade my questions.

Quote:
simply stated just because your changing over to the new Dextron VI from the older dextron III ,,as written on the container from the fluid manufacturer it is compatible and is not an issue ..
Based on your prior posts on the Dex VI issue and getting old Dex III out of the system it looks like you do not practice what you are preaching here in this thread or believe the label on the containers. So it must be an issue. See link below.

Click here

Quote:
My plan was to do either one of the above, turn on the engine, drain about 2 quarts into a bottle, turn off engine, add 2 quarts of Dexron-VI.
if you replace filter, clean pan, and add what fluid you removed , which was in pan about 4qts , then with engine still off remove transmission cooler line to radiator start engine and as 2quarts comes out add 2 quarts repeat until clean, or untill you have replaced 10quarts this should get all old fluid out safely................................

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #19
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor

Based on your prior posts on the Dex VI issue and getting old Dex III out of the system it looks like you do not practice what you are preaching here in this thread or believe the label on the containers. So it must be an issue. See link below.

Click here
this post you refer to , is concerning a vehicle owner that wanted to know how to remove most of the old fluid , with out damaging the transmission...I have never used this method which is described in the GM manual . A method to remove the transfliud.. I do know of gm techs that have used this method,, before the flushing machine arrived....JUST ANSWERING HIS QUESTION HOW TOO!

THE FLUSHING MACHINE :IS A DEVICE USED BY DEALERS TO DESTROY YOUR TRANSMISSION.....STAY AWAY!!!

On your question concerning my vehicles ....as you know I did not list a vehicle that has this 4l65 tranny but my daughter does ... this vehicle has over 100,000mi and the fluid/filter is replaced every 40,ooomi...so far no transmission problems ....and NO FLUSHING...

dealerships should only be used as a last resort to repair/service common vehicle maintenence....TOO EXPENSIVE...

also I have never attacked anyone on these forums ,, and if I offended you ,, because you have a extreme view concerning this trans fluid so what, I don't care....let the readers decide....I read the instructions and make judgments based on data and facts...not what repair tech's THINK is best..

for some reason this tranmission fluid maintenence is a very sensitive issue to many on these forums. perhaps dealer tech's need to get these machines to start making some revenue...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
also I have never attacked anyone on these forums ,, and if I offended you ,, because you have a extreme view concerning this trans fluid so what, I don't care....let the readers decide....I read the instructions and make judgments based on data and facts...not what repair tech's THINK is best..

You just made this an issue for the Moderating staff to decide. A PM message will be forthcoming. This thread has been closed from any further posting.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS