Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Interior | Audio | Security
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Interior | Audio | Security Tech forum to assist in Honda/Acura Interior, Audio and Security.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Rampart Crawler
AF Enthusiast

'99 DX audio info needed(easy questions for vets)

I have a '99 Civic DX, and would like to upgrade my stock head unit with tape deck for a new one w/ cd player. Also, the right, rear sub sounds bad. The rest are okay as long as they aren't put too high.

There is this system I am looking at on the Walmart web site that can play 160 at max. I will line up the questions so it is easier for you guys to answer.
and the link to the system....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3223417
'Pioneer Auto CD Player with 4 Speakers, DEHSP043'

How many watts can the stock system play at max?
How many watts can the stock amp(lol, what is an amp?) handle?
Will I need anything else, or will it run out of the box?
Should all of this equipment fit right in where the stock goes?
Is this system good for a beginner who isn't looking for a crazy system?

I know that system may not be as crazy as some of you guy's, but if it is better than stock and reliable enough, I will be happy.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Send a message via AIM to AudioGuy93DelSol
Alright, sounds like you need to learn how an audio system works, so here is very brief description. The headunit get the signal from a radio, or CD or whatever else it plays, then amplifies(makes it stonger) with its internal amplifier, then that signal is sent to the speakears via wires. For now, we'll sayt he watts are how much "power" that headunit can send those speakers. Speakers are rated in RMS, which is the measure of how much wattage they can continuously handle, and peak, which is more of a marketing tool than anyhting, but its how much they can handle in a burst. The idea is to match the wattage that the amp is capeable of outputting with the speakers RMS rating.

Anyway with that set up, you are really going to get what you pay for, that is not much at all. Personlly, id save up and do some more research. www.crutchfield.com has alot of info about headunit and speaker features.

"How many NASCAR passes is that worth? 500?" (Schumacher passing Raikkonen)

Emily is amazing, and she messed with my sig AGAIN!

AudioGuy93DelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
millaj92
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to millaj92 Send a message via Yahoo to millaj92
Re: '99 DX audio info needed(easy questions for vets)

If you want something really cheap and basic, the deck that setup comes with is a good entry level unit. It's worth $100. As far as the speakers, they're not any better than the factory ones. For what you're looking for, I'd say get a deck like that (Pioneer or Kenwood) for $100 at Best Buy and let them install it for free. You'll spend about $40 in parts (wire harness, dash kit, etc.) and the deck is done. It's not that difficult of a job, but they'll do it for free. As far as the speakers, you can get some decent ones for about $50 per pair. The ones that come with that setup from wal-mart go for $25 normally, just so you know their value. Now as far as installing the speakers, I'd pay a professional to do it. It won't cost you very much, about $40 per pair for parts and labor. If you're really set on doing it yourself then I guess me or someone else could give you a step-by-step if you have the time and tools to attempt it.
millaj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Send a message via AIM to AudioGuy93DelSol
Ah, not best buy, they have a record of the worst installations. Maybe its the ones around here, but I would never let them touch my car. And your getting raped paying 40$ for a wiring harness...7-10$ max. If you order fomr crutchfield, they will give you model specific instructions on how to install headunits and speakers and throw in the harness for free. If you have basic car knowlege and can use some simple hand tools, you can do it yourself. But if you don't feel comfortable, than dont. Go to circuit city, or better yet, a local car audio shop for the installation.

"How many NASCAR passes is that worth? 500?" (Schumacher passing Raikkonen)

Emily is amazing, and she messed with my sig AGAIN!

AudioGuy93DelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
Rampart Crawler
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: '99 DX audio info needed(easy questions for vets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millaj92
If you want something really cheap and basic, the deck that setup comes with is a good entry level unit. It's worth $100. As far as the speakers, they're not any better than the factory ones. For what you're looking for, I'd say get a deck like that (Pioneer or Kenwood) for $100 at Best Buy and let them install it for free. You'll spend about $40 in parts (wire harness, dash kit, etc.) and the deck is done. It's not that difficult of a job, but they'll do it for free. As far as the speakers, you can get some decent ones for about $50 per pair. The ones that come with that setup from wal-mart go for $25 normally, just so you know their value. Now as far as installing the speakers, I'd pay a professional to do it. It won't cost you very much, about $40 per pair for parts and labor. If you're really set on doing it yourself then I guess me or someone else could give you a step-by-step if you have the time and tools to attempt it.
I will have no trouble installing it and I have decided what I am going to get. Thanks though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Interior | Audio | Security