Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #16
Drugar
AF Newbie

Re: windshield wipers not returning to normal

I just acquired a 2000 Impala about 3 weeks ago from the in-laws.

Monday night, as my wife was coming home, the wipers started the parking in the verticle position problem. I searched the website and found this thread and I printed it off.

I then took the car and this thread info to the local dealership to have them check it out. 3 hours later, I call and they said I need a new crank arm and motor. It will cost me $700 to get it fixed. I about fell out of my chair !! I asked about the tab issue, and he said they checked but that wasnt it. He stated that the motor was trashed. I find it funny to believe, as the wipers work just fine. I told him to put the car back together and I will pick it up.

Tomorrow, I will go through it and try the tab trick. I have a funny feeling they didnt check it or mess with it. Even so, I will replace the items myself, as I know I can get the parts for alot less than $400.

Wish me luck!!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
bigrod118
AF Enthusiast

god luck with that, and wiper motors, at least on my old car, were fairly easy to replace, so you shouldnt run into any major problems, but I havent done it on the Impala yet, so I dont know how different it is designed.

And never go to the dealership unless its warrenty related, they will screw you everytime, do it yourself or go to an independent shop. More trust worthy and cheaper.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Craigvalk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugar
I just acquired a 2000 Impala about 3 weeks ago from the in-laws.

Monday night, as my wife was coming home, the wipers started the parking in the verticle position problem. I searched the website and found this thread and I printed it off.

I then took the car and this thread info to the local dealership to have them check it out. 3 hours later, I call and they said I need a new crank arm and motor. It will cost me $700 to get it fixed. I about fell out of my chair !! I asked about the tab issue, and he said they checked but that wasnt it. He stated that the motor was trashed. I find it funny to believe, as the wipers work just fine. I told him to put the car back together and I will pick it up.

Tomorrow, I will go through it and try the tab trick. I have a funny feeling they didnt check it or mess with it. Even so, I will replace the items myself, as I know I can get the parts for alot less than $400.

Wish me luck!!
The luckiest thing you did was get away from that dealer, good move. At the most you need a crank arm kit, which GM does have and is inexpensive. At the least the tab trick works and you are good to go. Keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Drugar
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrod118
And never go to the dealership unless its warrenty related, they will screw you everytime, do it yourself or go to an independent shop. More trust worthy and cheaper.
That is a big understatement!! I went to pick up my car and I was talking to the service manager. I had asked for the P/N's for the items he said that needed to be replaced. I noticed that the crank arm had the same part # that gmpartsdirect.com had. I inquired as to how he was charging $180 for a part that I could get for $32.50? He went into some spiel how parts not bought from the dealership are not GM parts, but some imitation that normally doesnt work/fit correctly. I knew then that this guy was just blowing smoke. I was so fed up with all his smooth talking, I just paid the $70 for the Diag Fee and left.

On my way home, I got to thinking about the whole scenario and when I got home, I started working on the car. As soon as I started, I could tell they never even touch the wipers or wiper cowl as they had no tool marks what so ever. Not to mention it took a little while to get the wiper arms off from being on there for 6 years. When I got to the tab part, it was still covered in grime and dirt. It took me about 45 minutes to fix the tab and put all back together. The wipers now work like they are suppose too.

My wife and I are very upset. I will be going to the dealership in the AM to talk to the general manager and demand my money back or some type of compensation. Not only did the service manager lie to me on the phone about the tab fix not working, he tried to scam me for $700.

Fortunate to say, I have learned my lesson. If I cant fix a problem with the car, it will not be going to a dealership.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #20
Craigvalk
AF Newbie

Quote:
That is a big understatement!! I went to pick up my car and I was talking to the service manager. I had asked for the P/N's for the items he said that needed to be replaced. I noticed that the crank arm had the same part # that gmpartsdirect.com had. I inquired as to how he was charging $180 for a part that I could get for $32.50? He went into some spiel how parts not bought from the dealership are not GM parts, but some imitation that normally doesnt work/fit correctly. I knew then that this guy was just blowing smoke. I was so fed up with all his smooth talking, I just paid the $70 for the Diag Fee and left.

On my way home, I got to thinking about the whole scenario and when I got home, I started working on the car. As soon as I started, I could tell they never even touch the wipers or wiper cowl as they had no tool marks what so ever. Not to mention it took a little while to get the wiper arms off from being on there for 6 years. When I got to the tab part, it was still covered in grime and dirt. It took me about 45 minutes to fix the tab and put all back together. The wipers now work like they are suppose too.

My wife and I are very upset. I will be going to the dealership in the AM to talk to the general manager and demand my money back or some type of compensation. Not only did the service manager lie to me on the phone about the tab fix not working, he tried to scam me for $700.

Fortunate to say, I have learned my lesson. If I cant fix a problem with the car, it will not be going to a dealership.
I'd contact the better business bureau in your area and complain with them. My guess is if this dealer treats everyone that way they have lots of complaints.
Good luck getting your money back from them, hope it all works out.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #21
Drugar
AF Newbie

I went in and talked to the general manager. They are going to cut me a check for the $70 Monday.

Come to find out, the Service Mngr was a car salesman and has no technical experience. That tells me that he doesnt have a clue as to what is going on in his shop. I will never deal with them again, even after all their assurances that they are an honest dealership and "mistakes happen" Big differences in mistakes taking place and nothing being done to a car when it is brought in.

Chalk one of for the little guy
Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #22
Craigvalk
AF Newbie

Quote:
I went in and talked to the general manager. They are going to cut me a check for the $70 Monday.

Come to find out, the Service Mngr was a car salesman and has no technical experience. That tells me that he doesnt have a clue as to what is going on in his shop. I will never deal with them again, even after all their assurances that they are an honest dealership and "mistakes happen" Big differences in mistakes taking place and nothing being done to a car when it is brought in.

Chalk one of for the little guy
Well Done!! I wonder if the so-called service manager got called on the carpet for it? That would be fun to watch. Hey it all worked out and your wipers work!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
cheungderek
AF Newbie

I have a 98 Venture and the wiper is having the same problem. It still up when off.

I tried to locate the TAB that is shown in the previous post but I cannot find it. I found one that was only 1mm high. Does my tab broken or my car has a different design?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #24
Neutron5313
AF Newbie

First off I want to say hello. First Post and new to the forum.

I have a 2k impala and the wipers just don't work. So I am not really in the same boat as most of you, but the Stealer did say that I just needed a new motor. Not sure I believe them or not so I told them to wait on the repair.

Once you pull the wiper cowl off, is the motor pretty easy to get to? What kind of time am I looking at getting myself into with this project?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
Lindajean
AF Newbie

How do I remove the black plastic cover to access the wiper blade motor tab. I
Old 06-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #26
Gems
AF Regular

Maybe some detail questions/answers would help me and some others who are reading this...

1. What is the procedure to remove the wiper arms? I see a round black plastic cap over what I assume is the nut or bolt that holds the wiper arm.

2. Do you need a puller tool to get the wiper arms off?

3. Once the wiper arms are off it looks like there is just one push pin fastener holding the black grill in place?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #27
Lindajean
AF Newbie

Like so many others, my wipers are staying up. I want to try and bend the tab on the wiper motor, but I am not sure on how to get to it. I removed the pin on plastic trim under the wipers (passenger side) and can lift that side but I have no idea how to do the driver's side. Do I need to have a special tool to remove the wipers, so that I can remove the plastic trim?
If any one could walk me through this I would appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #28
bagpiper
AF Newbie

Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread... Anyone have the problem with the wipers parking on top only when on intermittent setting? The wipers park normal when on slow or fast setting. I just had the motor replaced and still have same problem. If the tab was bent, wouldn't it cause the wipers to park incorrectly on either setting? Looking for suggestions before I try to fix it myself. TIA. problem is on a 2000 Pont. Grand Prix
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #29
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread... Anyone have the problem with the wipers parking on top only when on intermittent setting? The wipers park normal when on slow or fast setting. I just had the motor replaced and still have same problem. If the tab was bent, wouldn't it cause the wipers to park incorrectly on either setting? Looking for suggestions before I try to fix it myself. TIA. problem is on a 2000 Pont. Grand Prix
Welcome to AF.

Moderators are always watching threads and we frown upon raising old threads so please check the date of the thread and last post. Any over 3 months old. If you have a an unresolved issue with your car then start a new thread and in the proper forum for the respective make and model car. Thread closed.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS