Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
pinto21632
AF Newbie

no spark but not all the time

i have a 89 oldmobile 98 regency3.8 38000 i changed the coil and the icm but it still didnt help what is confusing me is it will start when it is dri outside but dont run long when it is rainning or damp out side it will not even try to fire at all.and would i be able to un plug the thing that bong when i leave the lights on it comes on sometimes when rideing down the road i just want to unplug it if i can i dont want to replace it any help will be helpful thank u.
pinto21632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: no spark but not all the time

Welcome to AF, check the wiring from the crank sensor to the icm, if ok, I would replace the crank sensor.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
pinto21632
AF Newbie

code 41

i have a 89 oldsmobile regency 98 3.8 3800 i just changed the coil and the crank sencer took it for a test drive to the store well 20-30 mins after running it started to backfire and would go over 20 or 30 mph and the check engine light came on trying to get it to go the temp light came on i think it was over heating the engine felt very hot. every time i tryed to put it in gear it would backfire and shut off had to leave it on the side of the road a walk about a mile to get back home then i went back to it in the morning and it started right up and i got it home i have read about code 41 is a cam sencer problem but i didnt know if it was diff on the 89 vs the 90,s i didnt see any thing about a 89 please help i have a baby on the way in about 2 weeks and i need the car fix to get to the hospital its about a 35 min drive so i need to get it fixed very soon any help will be great i have only had the car about a month so i dont know much about it please please help me a/s/a/p
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: code 41

Code 41 can be the cam sensor or the magnet on the cam gear fell off, this can be seen thru the cam sensor hole with a mirror, go autozone.com, repair guides for a picture. A bad MAF can also cause these symptoms, try tapping it and see if the engine changes at idle.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
pinto21632
AF Newbie

help help help

ihave a 89 oldsmobile regency 98 3.8 3800 got the code to go away i changed the cam sensor but still have a problem i have changed the crank sensor cam magnit cam sensor the coil and the icm but i found out the convertor was cloged up thats why it was over heating so i cut the pipe and broke all the stuff out of it but now when i tested it it stumbled bad steping on the gas but i have not welded the pipe back togeather yet so right now its a little loud but now it stumbles and back fires and didnt have much power going up a hill my brother says it might be the plugs i dont know what to do im about to drive it to the junk yard PLEASE HELP ME I NEED HELP BAD fuel presure is good to im starting to hate this car
Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: help help help

pinto21632,

Sorry but please keep similar issues limited to one thread only and do not make multiple threads/posts on the same issue. See forum guidelines below.

Click here

Your prior and latest posts have been merged together as one.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: code 41

Your best bet here rather than continue to guess and replace parts is get it to a pro, we can only suggest possibilities here, someone has to follow up on the diagnostics.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight