Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Fbeni4
AF Newbie

Sti Vs. plain WRX

Delete

Last edited by Fbeni4; 02-26-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Fbeni4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Sti Vs. plain WRX

On a 16k budget youre not getting one of the 2.5l WRX's, you're getting an older 2.0l WRX.

And to answer your questions.

1. Do some research.

2. Do some research.

3. Do some research.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbeni4
O and btw check these out im pretty sure im able to get a wrx for 16,000:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

maybe before you give someone advice you should do some research yourself.

Thank you
No, YOU still need to do the research.

Those are pre-'06 WRX's which don't have the 2.5l turbo engine.
Not only that, the '05 already had mods performed which significantly devalues the vehicle.

So, all you've proven to me is that you have no idea which generations of WRX have which engine. You won't be able to spend 16k and get a WRX with a 2.5l turbo engine.
You will be able to get one with the 2.0l engine in one of the following states:
- pre'03
-modded '05
-wrecked and rebuilt
-high mileage

To reitterate my previous statement:

Quote:
On a 16k budget youre not getting one of the 2.5l WRX's, you're getting an older 2.0l WRX.
Which ironically, you proved in those links you posted, so next time, when you're trying to disprove somebody, don't post links which prove them right.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok I am going to be getting a new car but I am on a 16,000 dollar budget and just had a few questions pertaining to the WRX and the STI model:

1. I know that the STi comes with more HP stock but both come with the 2.5 Liter Boxer engine so in turn couldnt u make it as powerful as a STI or is this a stupid question?

2. Besides the power what is another difference between the WRX and the WRX STI?

3. Like I said i need to get a new car and I obv cant afford a used STI on 16,000 but I am able to get a used WRX for this would it be worth it?

Thanks much appreciated.
For one, you don't need a WRX and two, you should feel like a silly jackass for telling the moderator to do some research. At 16, you're not ready for a turbo car. If you really wanted to spoil yourself, get a 2.5 RS coupe and use the extra money for worthy mods, like improving handling and maybe some tranny stuff and you'll have a (for a 16 year old anyway) quick, fun to drive car that looks good with not as murderous insurance rates.

But just in case you don't listen to me:

1. 2.5 is only equipped on the STi, which you will never be able to set foot in until you're like 30 or if daddy buys it for you. It wasn't built for a 16 year old to drive. Regular WRX gets a 2.0 liter and yes, you could potentially make it as powerful as an STi.

2. STi gets better brakes, gets ground effects, a big ass wing, few interior mods, differential control, other things. Compare the two and you'll see, i.e., do some research.

3. You could easily get an 02-03 WRX wagon in decent condition for that price. Mileage can vary. Subaru in general is a car that is (if you have to) worth dumping money into cuz they will last for quite a long time.

To sum up, don't buy a turbo car, let alone a WRX. And if you do, please don't wreck it and buy one that is unmodded cuz those are most likely taken care of cars.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
:

1. 2.5 is only equipped on the STi, which you will never be able to set foot in until you're like 30 or if daddy buys it for you. It wasn't built for a 16 year old to drive. Regular WRX gets a 2.0 liter and yes, you could potentially make it as powerful as an STi.
The 2.5l engine is also in the '06 onwards WRX.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
oh don't worry about it i definitely feel like a jackass you are right.

Thank you you guys for the help.

I unlike most, teenagers of my generation, can admit they were wrong. And thanks for the advice and I will be looking into the 2.5RS coupe

I am 17 turning 18 this summer. Not that it matters but I figured I would throw it out there.
Sorry man. I dunno why I thought your age was 16. Probably because of your budget, but still, you're very young and its better to learn how to drive a Subaru car first before stepping into a WRX. Subaru manual trannies aren't exactly like other manual trannies plus they are already weak as it is, especially in a WRX, so perfect your shifting techniques. An Impreza TS wagon or RS coupe is a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray
The 2.5l engine is also in the '06 onwards WRX.
Good to learn something new everyday.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
Subaru manual trannies aren't exactly like other manual trannies plus they are already weak as it is, especially in a WRX, so perfect your shifting techniques.
If you're going to keep coming into this section spreading misinformation, I would sooner see you not post

WRX trannies are not weak, fragile or 'glass', if you drive the car as intended they are extremely forgiving and reliable - the issue is people that don't understand how to drive AWD's in manual configuration and so destroy the poor transmission.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Right_LiRrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Right_LiRrr

Yeah, I second that. My car is hitting 5 years old and I've never had a problem with the transmission. *touch wood*. I have done some 4, 5K rpm launches - so it's not like I drive it like a grandma but I haven't done anything like that for years now. Treat the gearbox well and it will serve you in kind.

Having said that, the older 5 speeds are pretty bad gearboxes and take a bit of insider knowledge on how to work out the kinks.

And to the initial poster, I don't think at 18 you'll have a problem with a WRX if you have a decent head on your shoulders. They're not the beasts everyone would have you believe. However, you should definitely up your driving skills beforehand (I's say approx 300 hrs driving experience at least in all conditions).

But if you want some advice from my experience, get a shitbox, learn to drive, save up more and get the best STi you can get your hands on if you're really into performance. The WRX really doesn't compare - the media and marketing would just have you believe otherwise.

Right_LiRrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Right_LiRrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Right_LiRrr

Quote:
I would save up to but I'm going away to college soon and wanted something fun that is good on gas, that is fun to drive, and can be modded without just being a waste of money to do so.

This being said is the 2.5 RS or even the 2.5I still good choices?
No.

Get a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. And no, I am being totally serious.

Little cars "feel" fast. Hence, they are fun to drive. This is why many people with Civics etc think they are king of the road.

They also get great gas mileage.

Test drive a 2.5RS and then do the same with a civic. The civic will be more fun.

Right_LiRrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
drummm41
AF Newbie

RAY, i dont mean to sound ignorant here but you say people dont understand how to drive AWD in a manual. I never knew there was a certain way. If you dont mind what is the "right" way to drive an AWD.

Thanks
drummm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
freakray
AF Modelrater

There's nothing ignorant about asking if you don't know.

AWD's don't allow tires to slip when you overload the transmission by launching hard, this means all the stress goes into the transmission - when you overstress something like this which doesn't have a means to dissipate the energy through tires spinning or similar, this energy displaces to other areas.

Hard first gear launches will sooner than later destroy an AWD transmission whereas using a roll from first and pulling hard through second and first will be gentler on the transmission and net you better acceleration when your engine is up to revs.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
drummm41
AF Newbie

oh ok basic common sence...but then again alot of people think they last for ever so beat the hell out of them and then they wonder why their car doesnt run right....oh well..

THANKS
Old 06-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
drummm41
AF Newbie

I live in MI , we get a bit of snow. I drove an 88 buick park ave, and my buddy has a 99 eclipse. Both FWD they do fine. RWD can be a pain in the snow, but youll be good with FWD. Keep some decent tires on it tho.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
drummm41
AF Newbie

astro vans...awd...heavy...not fast...lol i just had to say it
Old 06-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
mr_tw
AF Regular

I want a Subie for the same reason we have snow on the ground here for about 7 months of the year. But remember awd doesn't help you stop, and has only marginal effect on your snow handling. But after driving both a 06 Impreza and my own Focus I have to say i thought the Subie was allot more fun (also had 173 hp vs my 130) but it felt more eager in the corners, and more stable. So in short i'm not to terribly sure if the Civic would be more fun, i quite enjoyed the Subie.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport