Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM   #16
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

I, as usual, suggest the BMW 3-Series. The 330i is a great car well within your price range that handles like a dream, and has enough power to be alot of fun, but not enough to get you into trouble. Great for moving friends around and just cruising around town. I dont know a single person with this car that would dream of buying an alternative. With $40,000 to throw into it, you could get some nice options like the performance package, which makes the 330i as close to the M3 as you can get. If you want a 2 door, the 330Ci comes to mind. Its a little quicker then the 330i, but costs a little more too. If you want tons of options like the navigation system, cold weather package, HK sound, Xenons, etc... get a 1 or 2 year old used 330, or a new 325i/325Ci. IMO, there is no better road car in the world for less then $50,000 then the 3-series. Nobody I know who has one would consider buying another brand after the BMW. They really are the Ultimate Driving Machines.

If you want something a little tamer then the BMW, and alot cheaper, I would look into a 2004 VW Jetta GLI. Doesnt handle quite like the Bimmer, and isnt quite as powerful as the 3.0L, but the VR6 seems to do well. Great car thats alot easier on the wallet then BMW. German engineering, 6-speed transmission, good VW aftermarket. Looks like the cliche chick car, but can outrun all stock civics, integras, neons, etc...
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #17
Janet Reno
AF Enthusiast

Yeah the BMW 330 is awesome. I wouldn't get into anything faster engine wise than this though at 18, for safety issues.

What do you think about this

http://www.bmw.ca/automobiles/model_...=71&seriesID=3

330Ci M
M Performance Edition
"More power. More agility. More exhilaration. That is why the M Performance Edition Coupé was created, to pack more into every aspect of the 330Ci engine, suspension and interior and exterior design. It's the Coupé for those who want more of everything."

I don't know if you guys in the US have that model, this is from the Canadian site but I think the performance package is more or less the same.
Janet Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #18
03'350z
AF Regular

Re: 18 year old needs help buying first car

if i were u buy a used STI
03'350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #19
03'350z
AF Regular

300 hp 300lbs/tq and also has 4 doors
03'350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:00 AM   #20
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Get an M3, if you crash into a wall at 200mph you should bounce right off and keep going, life is just one big GT3.

Or get a 330Ci

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:29 AM   #21
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Fanatic
.... ay, honestly, mogu, I hope you have a smart head on your shoulder. think of the insurence rates and liability. because people here will argue and argue about what they'd do with $40k (and all the fuzzy images insert ____ here).
Old 07-08-2004, 04:21 AM   #22
Savior1974
AF Enthusiast

Well what about an SRT4. I think that neons look good for females, and how much better can you get than an srt 4. She should get that and then get the rest of the money from her dad and send it to me. (Or mod the car..... whatever she prefers)

Act 2600, Apexi 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, Hks 3"-5" muffler, Greddy TypeS BOV, Autometer Boost/Vac & Air fuel Gauge, Garrett T3/T4 60-1 turbo (Only boosting 15 psi) Tial 38mm Wastegate, Spearco FMIC, Greedy Profec B2, HKS Turbo Timer Type, Dejon Intake/K&N Air Filter, DSMLink, Eprom ECU, 950cc Fuel Injectors, Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, B&M Short Shifter
Savior1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 AM   #23
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: 18 year old needs help buying first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Get an M3, if you crash into a wall at 200mph you should bounce right off and keep going, life is just one big GT3.
We're not gonna start that one again are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Or get a 330Ci
Whatever for? Those are rubbish. Wouldnt dream of buying one

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:59 AM   #24
szczecinek
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to szczecinek

supra SZ ?? non turbo, so u wont kill urself, about 210hp but nice and stable car, sexy styling and since its not gonna cost anywhere near 40K u can get a full body kit, the veilside kit looks sweet on the supra, a nice paint job, nice rims, good tyres (safety), lowered PROPERLY, some interior mods, a full stereo system and maybe like a exhaust and a cold air intake....u would probably have enough left over to get ur engine pipes replaced with metal ones and get ur whole engine chromed... think about it....
szczecinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #25
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Ummm...You can kill yourself with any car, it doesent matter if its fast or not.

Drive a Geo metro in a crazy way, it can go up to 80 mph, enough to get you killed.

Go 80 mph in an M3 and you have tons of airbags, awesome brakes, emergency lane change manuevers etc...
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #26
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Drive a Geo, hardly the driver may be ever tempted to speed. Considering it's borng acceleration power.

Drive a M3, and you got a lead foot. "Sorry officer, my car doesn't go below 80, please look at the speedo. I tell you sir, that RPM gauge is evil, it has a mind of its own."

Granted any car is a dangerous weapon in prospect, but which would be more likely? Pick the lesser of two evil. If people loves to test their balls on speed, then I urge to get a sportbike. Nothing on the streets compare to the power of two wheels.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 07-08-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Z_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #27
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

But that is a good point... parents always say... "I don't want you to get a FAST car, you'll kill yourself"... what does fast mean here, a car that accelerates quickly, but when one dies because of going TOO FAST... one does not die of acceleration, one dies becasue their speed was so great... the Geo Metro vs M3 was a Brilliant comment... any car likely to be dangerous, it depends on how fast you are going, and a dumb kid can go 100MPH in just about any street car, so Y not let us have a fun car. And I know the logic that a faster car will be more of a temptation, but I know plenty of kids who think they are hot sh*t and zip through traffic in high speeds in POSs, Chevy Corsica, Beretta, non-turbo Supra, and of course, the infamous Civic.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #28
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Dude, Im not a parent, Im only 20. But I am flattered. Parents say that because they wanna pass on their genes. They don't want the evil Darwinian effect to take over and put chlorine on the gene pool.

And I've seen how quick stock Civics can zip through, and you don't get a lead foot from it. Those ricer wanna-bees get their come upance pretty fast.

Im saying all this from experience and friends associated with jack-ass racing and accidents (I believe these two go hand in hand). So unless you're the conservative valedictorian of your highschool type driving your BMW 330 sedan, chances are you'll wanna see what your 230 HP Bimmer can do (this is also a true incident).

If the starter of the thread really is interested in Bimmers, I'd suggest you to start with the 184 HP, 325Ci at most, helk, you can get the convertible with some nice packages, and it will cost you full $40K. You could also get the 2.5L Z4 with some cozy interiors for $35K, I see tons of these in our college. Just hope your dad will also pay for the full coverage every month/year.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:45 AM   #29
szczecinek
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to szczecinek
what i was referring to about not killing yourself was the fact that a SZ is non turbo. granted its not that bad in stock cars, but in a turbo there is a point on the rev range that the power increases in a very short amount of time... so not only is the car more powerful but much less predictable. Modern NA cars have smooth even power delivery all the way up like the NA supra, 350Z, etc.... things like V-Tec are an exception though.
szczecinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #30
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

I wasn't saying you were a parent... see, my parents made me at 18 get a v6 Camaro... "blah blah blah an 8 is too fast blah blah blah" I always regretted having a "Fake" Camaro. Now at 22 I have an LS1 and am loving it!!! Point is, if I hit a guardrail at 80mph in my v6 or now in my LS1 I think the result would be pretty much the same, so what did it matter, should've just let me have the LS1 in the first place.
Oh, BTW, I definitely had a lead foot w/ the v6, it was still a Camaro. And all of the ricers and friends I know have lead foots no matter what they drive, so what does it matter? I'm not sure what you meant by "wanna-bees get their come upance pretty fast" but all civic owners I know have lead in their feet.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons