Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
jgilley345
AF Newbie

I Need Your Advice!!!! Please Help!!!!

ok so today i was driving and my mom said i "pulled out in front of someone", which i may have done, but there was at least 5 car-lengths between me and that car. anyway, she starts yelling at me and crap like that, and i tried to say sorry, but she just kept yelling. so we get home, she exaggerates the story and tells my stepdad, and he comes into my room and saysi have to make up my mind: either give him ALL of my videogames that have ANY form of driving in them, or keep the games and give him my drivers permit. he says me playing racing games makes me a bad driver. now, its not like all i do is play xbox. in the last month ive played MAYBE 10 hours total. but i am a serious car guy and all of my games are driving games. (forza motorsport and sega gt2002) this just doesnt seem fair or right to me. what should i do?

jgilley345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: I Need Your Advice!!!! Please Help!!!!

Well, no offense, kiddo, but it's not really up to you to say or do anything... You may be an enthusiast, and live and breathe cars, but you haven't been driving as long. You might just have to suck it up and deal with the fact that your mom feels you cut someone off. Learn to live by their interpretation of "the rules" until you are old enough to make your own decision on what is and isn't appropriate.

Sorry to not take your side, but... as a teacher, I've seen WAY too many kids who think they are invincible. Maybe it is for your own good.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

I agree with Tangie.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

Unless you don't want to learn to drive, give up your stupid games....

And listen to Tangie.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
poormillionaire2
AF Enthusiast

I'll go against the grain on this one and say that its crap what they are requesting of you. Now, only you, your mom, and the person whom you 'cut off' know if you really did cut them off or if you had enough room to change lanes. I think its ridiculous for someone to blame/assume that videogames are the cause for teens driving bad or killing other people. Your stepdad was not there and has no conclusive evidence linking your videogames to your driving. All he has to go on is your mom's word against yours. And no body here can argue otherwise either. Sorry, no advice, but I do see how unreasonable your situation is.

Current Car
2003 Monte Carlo SS

Sold
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
poormillionaire2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
XeVeNskyLiNE
Turbo makes me emo!

Send a message via AIM to XeVeNskyLiNE

What the effin hell. I don't want to be mean, but your parents thinking videogames are making you bad driver might have to top the list of one dumbest things I've ever heard.

Being UNEXPERIENCED is what makes you bad driver, or so it seems. Like everyone else said, just give up the games. Then just hope your parents stop being so anal and find the right solution.

Currently in Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona MySpace My S14 and DSM
XeVeNskyLiNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
XeVeNskyLiNE
Turbo makes me emo!

Send a message via AIM to XeVeNskyLiNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormillionaire2
I'll go against the grain on this one and say that its crap what they are requesting of you. Now, only you, your mom, and the person whom you 'cut off' know if you really did cut them off or if you had enough room to change lanes. I think its ridiculous for someone to blame/assume that videogames are the cause for teens driving bad or killing other people. Your stepdad was not there and has no conclusive evidence linking your videogames to your driving. All he has to go on is your mom's word against yours. And no body here can argue otherwise either. Sorry, no advice, but I do see how unreasonable your situation is.

Just now saw this after my post, but I highly agree. What they're doing just really rubs me the wrong way. I mean hell, everyone came out fine, shit like that happens when you're just starting off, the only way to get better is more seat time. Sorry man, your parents are being dicks on this one.

Currently in Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona MySpace My S14 and DSM
XeVeNskyLiNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Toksin
Non-profit Organisation

Send a message via AIM to Toksin

How old are you?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
ec437
AF Enthusiast

Here's what you do. Give up the video games, and then steal their car. When they report it stolen and the cops try to pull you over, run from them. Then crash the car into a light pole. That way, you'll show them that you're a crappy driver with or without video games. Just wait till you see the looks on their faces when they find out they were wrong!

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
79Bandit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
Here's what you do. Give up the video games, and then steal their car. When they report it stolen and the cops try to pull you over, run from them. Then crash the car into a light pole. That way, you'll show them that you're a crappy driver with or without video games. Just wait till you see the looks on their faces when they find out they were wrong!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #11
i-is-in-da-house
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to i-is-in-da-house

That is a good idea to get arrested, and have ur licence taken away.

I got my learners GDL and I aint pro, but you cant link playing san andreas to driving a real car, unless you want to get killed.

-My Scale Projects-

-My Drawing Projects-
i-is-in-da-house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
Knifeblade
AF Enthusiast

well, , back seat drivers or even shotgunners do NOT control the car, the driver does. From what I've gleaned, it simply is perspective. A more experiencied driver states an opinion of your driving. It appears U are inexperienced, but reasonably competent. Reasonably is the key word, as WELL as inexperienced. Mix the two, and listen to the bitching, take it. They are telling ya what ya may not have seen, from their years of driving. Make peace, acknowledge their intentions to them, all good.

Beyond that, U control the car, but, dude/gal, listen and learn from those who have put a few 100K under their drive-belts. They've been there, trying to keep you from going there, K? They just looking out for you, although the game-thing seems weird to me. Of course, we didn't have those games when I started driving. There's a point to come.

Granted, I'm an older driver, but in my day of youth I wished I'd listened to what my folks told me. Case in point, this is true~~~~~~ about 17 at the time, took the folk's car out to see the g/f then. Was told, bad roads, be very careful [by my folks].

K, it doesn't quite follow your situation, but could have. Anyhoo, took the car, grabbed the g/f and her g/f for a drive. Bad roads, but f* it, I was invincible and certain i could handle a bad road. NOT!!!!!!!!!! Bashed in the passenger door on a tree, hurt the g/f's g/f, thankfully not bad at all, but I was F'ing lucky as H. I could have messed her up bad for life. Just because I felt I knew what I was doing. My folks knew better, and I ignored their cautions.

Upshot, one heavily damaged car, dad lost his ride to work and back, family lost their [our] transporaion for several weeks. THINK about it when folks say this or that re driving, you have control, and YOU take the full responsibility for what occurs. Don't let it be as bad as mine was.

And you think your consequences are rough????? Sorry. I won't even go into the consequences I faced and had to deal with. Losing a video game privilege is minor crap compared to what I went through.

And, thankfully, U didn't. yea, it's not a good analogy, but it could have been, in the blink of an eye.
Knifeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to doberman_52

I would rather loose those video games over driving anyday. My parents are similar, but they have reasons with me, but they hate my driving, they think Im always driving too fast even if im only doing 20mph, but thats parents for ya, learn to deal with it and talk to your parents about it

Cory
doberman_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
nismogt_rfreak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman_52
I would rather loose those video games over driving anyday.

Still, racing games make you a better driver IF they do anything at all. They teach you to find the safest way through a turn and to avoid any kind of collision at all costs, even if it means slowing down.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to doberman_52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismogt_rfreak

Still, racing games make you a better driver IF they do anything at all. They teach you to find the safest way through a turn and to avoid any kind of collision at all costs, even if it means slowing down.
Yea, I think Forza has tought me that beter than any other game, I'd rather have both, but in his case, I'd like to drive for real. Racing games are fun though.

Cory
doberman_52 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic