Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #91
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Re: WIP: 1970 'Gulf' Porsche 917K

cockpit is finished! (just about!!!)

the majority of the work in the cockpit is now done, I added the Renaissance Seatbelt hardware and material from Scale Motorsport (as it seems with all my references I found more variations in colours for the belts but going by the car in Lemans they were both black & red ).

Also added the discs and steering rod etc, these were a little fiddly to get right and I had to remove a little paint to get them working properly, on the rod itself I removed the plastic rivets and replaced them with etched versions.

Having completed installing both seats I then added the dashboard, before this went in though I added the hose from the extinguiser which leads to the plunger on the top of the dash (modelers silver hose for that!)
I think with both seats installed you can still see the coil and battery enough to justify the extra work it took to improve this area (well I'm telling myself so anyway )

Finally a testing fitting with the top shell - and so far its all going swimmingly. All that remains now is to added the pieces I have made to fill in the gaps in the cockpit and bulkhead and then I will move onto the front details in front of the drivers pedals, another load of details need to be added here.

thanks for staying tuned and hope you like the pics

http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk

WIP: Ferrari F40
SeanyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #92
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

All is great but I really like those rotors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyG
you can still see the coil and battery enough to justify the extra work it took to improve this area (well I'm telling myself so anyway )
At the end of the day, you are the only one that counts

Keep it coming

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #93
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
All is great but I really like those rotors!

Keep it coming
thanks Ski,

as Jaykay quite accurately pointed out they for the 1971 car but they were sooo nice I just couldnt resist using them on the car, not quite authentic I know but hey!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #94
Jamme
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Jamme

Hello,
Concerning the battery into the cockpit:
It seems that in the 70's (and even before) it was not allowed to have the battery in the cockpit.
When those cars race now, they have to have the battery in the cockpit in order that eventually, in case of emergency, the driver can cut the power of it.
Here are a few pictures of the winner of Le Mans 1970, pictures courtesy of Etienne Dhont from Renaissance:

Apparently all the cars from that era and before (as I know, the Testarossa 1958 that won le mans in 58, had NO battery inside the cockpit.
Many makers are not right with puting the battery inside ......

We should read the VEC rules, so we will be shure.

Sorry for this off topic!

Cheers,

Jamme
Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #95
hompe
AF Regular

Pure heaven thats what this is
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #96
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme
Hello,
Concerning the battery into the cockpit:
It seems that in the 70's (and even before) it was not allowed to have the battery in the cockpit.
When those cars race now, they have to have the battery in the cockpit in order that eventually, in case of emergency, the driver can cut the power of it.
Apparently all the cars from that era and before (as I know, the Testarossa 1958 that won le mans in 58, had NO battery inside the cockpit.
Many makers are not right with puting the battery inside ......

We should read the VEC rules, so we will be shure.
Jamme,

no need to apologise they are good pictures and are interesting, it is too late for my version however Phil may have to re think his if you pictures are correct. I will post three pics of references I have been going by and in all three (which are 1970 & 1971 cars Gulf, Martini & the red version) there is no battery in the engine compartment, I wonder if the car in your pictures has been restored maybe - although I couldnt be certain - I could be wrong also.

here's what my references show:

you can see by the public in this pic that this is a pic of the actual cars, there's definately no battery in the engine here.

It underlines the fact that this model has been so difficult to research accurately, there have been numerous versions and even in the film Lemans the car McQueen drives changes during the film (eg. wooden handled gear lever changes to a black one!!!)

the plot thickens!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #97
Jamme
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Jamme

As you said:

The plot thickens!

I will make further research.

Anyway, your cockpit looks great!

Jamme
Old 04-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #98
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Very nice work on the cockpit area Sean.Love all the wiring you have added.The brakes look mighty impressive as well.Keep up the good work.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #99
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

The cockpit looks great Sean. I take it you are not going to texturise the flat fibreglass panels of the floor and sides? A while ago one member (Bill?) was using lense tissue to give a nice texture. One of many plans I have....

Jammie, those pictures don't look circa 1970 IMHO. During the 1970 LM race car 23 had a fuel filler where those pictures have a fire extinguisher. Must be restored or a replica. In the film a mechanic changes a battery in the cockpit of one of the Ferrari's so it must have been allowed at the time. At least in the fictional world of Steve McQueen's movie.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #100
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
The cockpit looks great Sean. I take it you are not going to texturise the flat fibreglass panels of the floor and sides? A while ago one member (Bill?) was using lense tissue to give a nice texture. One of many plans I have....
Phil,

no, I thought about it but decided against it, I was a little worried I might thicken things up too much and they wouldnt fit properly etc. That effect looks great though - you did that on the airbox of your Stratos didnt you?

Is there anything you havent got planned for yours????? Hows the progress going, I need more pics to copy from so hurry up and post matey

Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #101
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Found this pic, looks to be fairly period (but are they the '70 LM race cars or on the movie set?). Can't see the battery in the cockpit but it isn't on the right hand side of the engine either.

RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #102
flhansen
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
Jammie, those pictures don't look circa 1970 IMHO. During the 1970 LM race car 23 had a fuel filler where those pictures have a fire extinguisher. Must be restored or a replica.
Hi.

This is a replica. The fire extinguisher is a current model - not a 1970 vintage type. Anyway the pictures say copyright 1999.

The car that appears as no 23 may not even be 'the' no 23. I think I have the chassis index somewhere. I'll be back.

Flemming
flhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #103
SeanyG
AF Enthusiast

Phil,

just out of interest - what colour are you going with for inside the wheel arches on the front end - so far I have found two colours differing versions grey and the gulf blue?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #104
Carrera RS Fahrer
AF Newbie

Really nice interior Sean.

Jamme, to the best of my knowledge, no correct 917 has the battery installed alongside the engine. All of them have the battery in the cockpit. It has nothing to do with drivers being able to cut them off--that's what the ignition kill switches are for, which Sean has included on the dash and which appear on the top of the front left side exterior of the cars. It's a small brass-colored 'L' shaped lever.

Here's the provenance of chassis 023:

http://962.com/registry/917/917-023/index.htm

The car was temporarily renumbered by Vasek Polak as 021, but eventually restored.

Here's the car today, with the battery in the correct place:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet...L/Page-541.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet...L/Page-532.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet...L/Page-530.htm

Exterior kill switch clearly visible here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet...L/Page-540.htm

There's a ton of additional reference there by the way.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet...n_04/Page4.htm

Sean, I could quibble about some of your paint choices--the Girling calipers are more a pure aluminum color than the slightly brassy color I see on my monitor, the clamshells could be lighter, and in general, on an as-new or restored early Porsche prototype car, it would probably be more appropriate to have the grey panels in semi-gloss, as well as the tube frame--but the two 917s I have waiting to be built will be lucky to have the beauty of yours. Inspiring work!
Carrera RS Fahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #105
CeeElle
AF Regular

omg. that cockpit.
CeeElle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports