Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Sketching and Drawing Sketchers and drawers in the house?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #61
Ran
AF Fanatic

Re: Something a Little Different

Damn that looks awesome!

Please read the AF guidelines
if you haven't read them before.
Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #62
bonzelite
AF Enthusiast

get some cash or credit saved up and make lithographed prints of it. save the original. then sell it for higher later if need be. don't just sell this one drawing.

at the least, make color copies of it and sell those to start generating income. then graduate to prints.
bonzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #63
stuffbyalex
AF Enthusiast

thanks again for the comments... especially bonzelite, they mean alot coming from you

As for selling prints, i've considered this before, and thought about buying a booth at a swap meet of this one car show and selling. Actually, i've made some money with my artwork over the past couple years. Do you have any other suggestions on where i could possibly sell prints?
stuffbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:06 AM   #64
bonzelite
AF Enthusiast

alex, you are very talented *and* skilled. when i saw the finished motorcycle come into view, i was floored. it is so excellent. it is just wonderful. it is technical, yet has humanity in it; it is not just a machine drawing. it is pleasant to gaze at for a long time, like a couch that is good to sleep on.

hmm. selling prints. you're spot-on with the booth at car shows, as i am gearing up to do just that by year's end. my company is "visual homage." i have a web page up: www.visualhomage.com

remember, too, to start off at small or "free" events. i have done 2 charity events thus far, giving away all proceeds to garner exposure and have a booth. booths at actual vendor shows are in the thousands of dollars to rent. i am warning you! at SEMA, for example, a 10x10 foot space is about $2000/event duration(typ.2 days). that does not include labor/hr to set it up, as they will not let you personally on the floor to do that.

selling prints can be tough unless you are consistently touring with your ensemble. if you have bikes, go to harley rides. if you have hot rods, go to those huge swap meets. if you have friends of friends who own or work at tuner shops or speed shops, or garages, have them hang a print up in their lobby to generate visibility. keep in mind the target consumers: hot-rodders and bikers are similar and often are seen in the same cruise nite.

i will reiterate that you should keep the original in most cases wherever possible: you can generate income off prints and copies, increasing the value of the original over time.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:20 PM   #65
stuffbyalex
AF Enthusiast

thanks again bonzelite. i appreciate your comments.

about the prints... i'm probably not ready yet to start selling. first, im going to have to draw a wider variety of cars. Right now, it's basically all exotic supercars and imports. other than that, i did one bike and one muscle car. i've decided that i'm going to start on a bel-air very soon, move on to something other than cars for a while(still life, portraits etc) then go back to classics and hot rods... maybe another bike or two.

also, i checked out your website, its great!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:41 PM   #66
bonzelite
AF Enthusiast

alex, it is good to build up a solid portfolio of a variety of things to discover what appeals to you enough to go the distance. success is often about out-enduring your competition.

this is the age of "narrow-casting" and "niche-marketing." in time, you will find this niche. and it may be right under your nose, yet years away to be discovered.

such is life.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:30 PM   #67
tokes99
AF Enthusiast

Wow those are pencil portraits?!?!?!? That is bananas. Alex you are and should definitely keep doing your thing. The time thing is all relative, it all depends on the person.

For a designer, storyborder, or an illustrator to spend 9 hours on ONE drawing from the start of an outline to rendering would be very inefficient, but for "artists" it is not uncommon to spend anywhere from 20 to 200 hours on a full drawing--outline--shading--painting--finishing.

I admire people who can do the grid thing, I did once in grade school and hated it. It just takes all the fun out of it, takes too long, and it just way too structured a method for me to mess with. Maybe when I am an old man I try it again...

...on second thought I probably will be never have patience to grid anything by that time.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:29 AM   #68
slidenride
AF Newbie

I guess i have to apologise a bit here i was looking at a designer perspective of it ...thanx to tokes for pointing it out
slidenride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #69
jajimo
AF Enthusiast

Christ... I bow down to you.. I am not worthy!

Seriously though, you must sell your stuff for a LOT of money...
Old 05-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #70
KustmAce
Grande Boleros de Fuego

Re: Re: Something a Little Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokes99
Wow those are pencil portraits?!?!?!? That is bananas. Alex you are and should definitely keep doing your thing. The time thing is all relative, it all depends on the person.
Just want to clarify any confusion, the portraits are not by stuffbyalex.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #71
Zwofurti
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Zwofurti

thats beautiful... only critique i have is that the rear tire is not round! but its BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 04:18 AM   #72
Ra_15
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Ra_15

I wouldn't care. The rear wheel could be square and it would still look beautiful!

My Gallery

To draw with a broken pencil is pointless.

Call me Ross.
Ra_15 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing