Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Warehoused Archives > Girl Racers' Spot
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Girl Racers' Spot For the Female Racer....
  Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #76
PreludePassion
AF Regular

To resurrect a dead thread 'cause I'm new, and well, I can...
So far I've done a tranny swap on an '85 plymouth grand fury (ah Christine... she was my first car...) along with all of her routine maintenance (all filters, belts, fluids, etc) Replaced the radiator and water pump on an '89 s-10, and I took apart the dash and radio hookups to fix a faulty speaker wire, and again, all maintenance work (I'll say now that I do all of my own maintenace to make it a bit shorter) did a full brake job on an 89 dodge ram (ever lost the brakes in one of those things? Thank god it was a stick, I won't drive anything else) Now I've got a 93 prelude, and so far I've replaced the fuel pump (it was a bitch working through that little access panel, but it was better than dropping the tank) and I've pretty much taken her apart and put her back together. It takes me forever, 'cause I know next to nothing, (I'm working on researching all of the performance gear that I wanna put in her) so I get out my Chiltons manual, sketch pad, masking tape and pens and go to town. My husband helps me out if I get stuck, or just need pure muscle, but otherwise I do it all myself (I'm a wicked perfectionist... and I've got more pride than I know what to do with, so never tell me I can't do something because I will!)
Old 05-09-2003, 12:46 PM   #77
babykisses206
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to babykisses206
I myself, dont have a car...well yet anyways. I will be 16 next March, so my car isnt to far away.

But to reply back to desireems77 post on "do you girls work on your own cars?"... I do. Its not my car I work on, since I dont have one, but I help all my guy friends work on theirs. They are constantly putting on new mods and fixing or hookin up something new.

As for me, I think girls should work on their own cars. Thats how I see it anyways. As for those girls that havent gone out into the garage,got greasy and worked on your car with your friends, you should. Its alot of fun. Its also a great bonding thing you can do with your boyfriend too!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 02:05 PM   #78
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
I too anxiously await next March

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
Old 05-10-2003, 08:45 AM   #79
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
Can't read whole thread.... I have engine grime all over my hands from replacing the starter and battery....

by the way, I do my own work. Of course! Must clean hands now... comp turning black... ewwwwww...

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:40 PM   #80
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: ya'll suck

Quote:
Originally posted by vhr4710
ya'll suck, its cool to race and shit, but just scrolling through your forum i've notice that most of you know jack about cars. not every girl here knows nothing, im not sexist or anything, but seriously dont talk like you know a lot about cars then say you've worked on your car when all you have really done is 'cange lightbulbs and brake calipers' thats bullshit. for those of you who actually do your own crap and know about internals and where to pull real horsepower out, im sorry. just my 2 cents to all those who get their boyfriend to install their cai. <snip>
. im sure im about to get screwed by this, but whatever. later
Forgive me for just finding this, but... Just because I haven't actually done much to my car doesn't mean I don't know how or why I would want to. Some people don't have mommies and daddies that buy their cars for them, and some people don't own Hondas that have an INCREDIBLE aftermarket to select from. I work for every damn penny I earn, and most of the time it all goes to tuition... you know that pesky lil thing called "higher education" so that I WILL have money to do all the "real horsepower-pulling" things to cars later on in life. Yeah, that stuff.

I know EXACTLY what I want to do to my car, and I'll be damned if most if not all of the work is done by myself, or done with the cooperation of others and myself. I'm also currently helping a friend dream up what to do with $10k and an IS300 when the time finally comes. Just so happens that I came up with some better ideas than some of the guys on the project.

I know you realized when you posted that you were going to be flamed, but always do at least a lil research before you make claims about people knowing nothing. If I had several grand to play around with, I can assure you I'd be down and dirty playing with my car more in-depth.

Also, a new updated list of things that I can do/have done on my car either alone, or with physical aid:

oil change (DUH)
HEADLIGHT BULBS
rear brake calipers and rotors
front and rear brakes
Mass Air Flow Sensor
Blower motor resistor
EVERYTHING I've done to my stereo (incl: replacement of HU, bypass of rear amp, install of rear deck speakers, removal of power antenna and motor. still to be done: relocation of antenna, replacement of front door speakers, wiring of amp and subs... all in due time)
Distributor cap and rotor
spark plugs and wires
replacement and relocation of horns
adjustment of clutch (both inside and under the hood)
Checking of codes inside the cabin
I'm forgetting something else, but that will have to do for now.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 05-17-2003, 12:58 AM   #81
94SolGrl
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod

Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
go tangie... it's ya birthday...

Yeah now that I can talk a little more, why sit and flame the girls who don't know as much when you can instead help them? There's a girl in my car club who doesn't know the first thing about how her car works, or how to work on it, but she wants to learn. To me, the fact that girls are into cars says a lot... So what if they can't do their own engine swap? The passion is there, and isn't that what a lot of our game is about?

HOW TO POST PICS!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:09 PM   #82
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hybridsol
Re: ya'll suck

Quote:
ya'll suck, its cool to race and shit, but just scrolling through your forum i've notice that most of you know jack about cars. not every girl here knows nothing, im not sexist or anything, but seriously dont talk like you know a lot about cars then say you've worked on your car when all you have really done is 'cange lightbulbs and brake calipers' thats bullshit. for those of you who actually do your own crap and know about internals and where to pull real horsepower out, im sorry. just my 2 cents to all those who get their boyfriend to install their cai. oh yeah, and civics blow, get a fast car if you're gonna race, well actually...all hondas blow, except the s2000, you're not fast without 25g's in it. im sure im about to get screwed by this, but whatever. later
I know of quiet a few woman on this board whom are very knowledgeable, probably more so than you. Furthermore Honda products are more cost efficent and cheaper to modify then most vehicles. One more thing if you knew you were going to get screwed by your uneducated, biased and opinionated response.......why did you post it?
Old 05-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #83
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Re: Re: ya'll suck

Quote:
Originally posted by hybridsol

I know of quiet a few woman on this board whom are very knowledgeable, probably more so than you. Furthermore Honda products are more cost efficent and cheaper to modify then most vehicles. One more thing if you knew you were going to get screwed by your uneducated, biased and opinionated response.......why did you post it?

Cause he's a dick... simple as that.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:48 PM   #84
B16_madwoman
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to B16_madwoman
umm....

rotated/replace wheels/tires, change spark plugs, oil, fuel filter,ait filter (doesnt really count-too easy) um... helped install 3 stereo systems w/subs, helped someone install their B&M short shifter, in a few days gonna help the same person put on new H&R springs, and a new set of wheels... Ive changed thermostat too, but thats no big...other stuff thats just general... i dont have a car myself but i do it to other peoples cars, mostly in the family, i do maintenence and stuff... not much but its a start...

p.s- all the things i "helped" with i actually did something i didnt just stand there and watch... :licker:
Old 05-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #85
B16_madwoman
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to B16_madwoman
Quote:
Originally posted by PreludePassion
To resurrect a dead thread 'cause I'm new, and well, I can...
So far I've done a tranny swap on an '85 plymouth grand fury (ah Christine... she was my first car...) along with all of her routine maintenance (all filters, belts, fluids, etc) Replaced the radiator and water pump on an '89 s-10, and I took apart the dash and radio hookups to fix a faulty speaker wire, and again, all maintenance work (I'll say now that I do all of my own maintenace to make it a bit shorter) did a full brake job on an 89 dodge ram (ever lost the brakes in one of those things? Thank god it was a stick, I won't drive anything else) Now I've got a 93 prelude, and so far I've replaced the fuel pump (it was a bitch working through that little access panel, but it was better than dropping the tank) and I've pretty much taken her apart and put her back together. It takes me forever, 'cause I know next to nothing, (I'm working on researching all of the performance gear that I wanna put in her) so I get out my Chiltons manual, sketch pad, masking tape and pens and go to town. My husband helps me out if I get stuck, or just need pure muscle, but otherwise I do it all myself (I'm a wicked perfectionist... and I've got more pride than I know what to do with, so never tell me I can't do something because I will!)
amen!!!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:20 AM   #86
melissa_e
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to melissa_e
Smile

You are not the only one. I have done complete tune-ups, changed starters,brakes and tires on alot of cars. I just got done changing the front struts on my girlfriends daughters car,{she decided to take some tracks at 90}.

At the moment thought i am working on a ford contour, i have oil in sparkplugs. Then i am going to pull the oil pan out of a ford ranger and change the gasket.

And if I really get brave maybe work on my chevy malibu, its got a head gasket leak.....

I love doing this never had any schooling, just buy a chiltons to the cars and away I go, living and learning alot along the way too. Good and Bad.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #87
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Quote:
Originally posted by melissa_e
You are not the only one. I have done complete tune-ups, changed starters,brakes and tires on alot of cars. I just got done changing the front struts on my girlfriends daughters car,{she decided to take some tracks at 90}.

At the moment thought i am working on a ford contour, i have oil in sparkplugs. Then i am going to pull the oil pan out of a ford ranger and change the gasket.

And if I really get brave maybe work on my chevy malibu, its got a head gasket leak.....

I love doing this never had any schooling, just buy a chiltons to the cars and away I go, living and learning alot along the way too. Good and Bad.
Rock on, girlfriend! I'd like to add another thing I've done to my car myself: Brake booster. Don't EVEN tell me it's easy. It's not.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 06-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #88
Pizzle00
AF Enthusiast

Chic mechanics

I love being under the hood, Why pay a mechanic 250 bucks for something that will cost you a little sweat and price for the parts ?!?!?!
Lets see what all I've recently done.......Tune up (Changing Spark plugs, oil filter, cleaning my air filter...etc) all my own oil changes....those are fun, change my own brakes and have rotors turned, done my own lift on the last truck, wired my own fog lights and undercarriage auxilary lights, installed and wired new speedglo guages, installed new speakers, sub and amp, installed and wired 3 neon lights thru out truck, installed air in take system (not hard at all) and I can still do all the basics and I'm sure even the harder stuff I havent gotten too. Im sure I'm forgetting something but oh well.....
Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 AM   #89
Modelcargarage
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Modelcargarage
ya'll suck, its cool to race and shit, but just scrolling through your forum i've notice that most of you know jack about cars. not every girl here knows nothing, im not sexist or anything, but seriously dont talk like you know a lot about cars then say you've worked on your car when all you have really done is 'cange lightbulbs and brake calipers' thats bullshit. for those of you who actually do your own crap and know about internals and where to pull real horsepower out, im sorry. just my 2 cents to all those who get their boyfriend to install their cai. <snip>
. im sure im about to get screwed by this, but whatever. later

ALright i think i am speaking for every girl here (even though im a guy) when i say shut the fuck up! why come here and tell these fine women that they suck when at least they are learning . and another thing if you are gonna critisize bitch where did you learn everything you know about cars? and you are the only one i see that is tryin to act like they are badass and know tons about cars shit im 15 and i work at a car shop and i can do anything that is put in front of me so you should shut the fuck up!

Girls------ SOrry about my language
Old 06-17-2003, 07:04 AM   #90
PreludePassion
AF Regular

Don't worry about the language, Model, not only can we "walk the walk" but we can also "talk the talk". And thanks for the eloquent defense.