Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
donidavis
AF Newbie

Smile 96 Eclipse RS 2.0 non turbo Timing

Hey guys! I have a question... I have had problems with my car back firing and we all cam to the conclusion that the timing is off and I need to adjust it. What would be a good way to adjust it without having to take the whole engine out of the car? Is there a easier way?
donidavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: 96 Eclipse RS 2.0 non turbo Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donidavis View Post
Hey guys! I have a question... I have had problems with my car back firing and we all cam to the conclusion that the timing is off and I need to adjust it. What would be a good way to adjust it without having to take the whole engine out of the car? Is there a easier way?
It's hard for the timing to become off without any other larger problems (ie broken timing belt). Did you just change the timing belt at some point? A compression test will show you if the numbers are low and give a little better understanding of what's going on. Bent valves, broken/damaged pistons, bad spark plugs and couple more things can lead to backfires.

Timing is adjustable with the motor in the car. Just takes some time. Everything on the pulley side needs to come off, including all belts, crank pulley, timing cover, motor mouth and some other parts. The motor will get raised and lowered numerous times to get the right space to take out some bolts. It will take some time, but very doable.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote