Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #1
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Parts, possibly counterfeit?

Running into some issues obtaining parts. Have gotten some in 'white boxes", with the attending crapshoot of quality. Some from known aftermarket suppliers, usually with good results. But have bought some parts in AC Delco boxes, listed as NOS Delco, but I have suspicions some of them look like they may have been white box parts repackaged in Delco boxes.
Sometimes have been lucky in getting old parts lying on someone's shelf, complete with a layer of dust. These parts are made in US or Canada.
Otherwise, parts are shown as being made all over the globe-China ( of course!) Taiwan, India, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Korea, among other. These are in blue and white AC Delco boxes, or have the GM logo on the box or a sticker affixed to the part itself.
Most of the parts seem to be of quality, but some look cheaply made, or really don't function very well, which leads me to suspect they aren't what they were
purported to be.
Just wondering if others have run into situations like this
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrv For This Useful Post:
tinkering (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #2
tinkering
In the 200 Club

Re: Parts, possibly counterfeit?

Our world is plagued by pirates no doubt but alot of the parts with trusted brand names are now made only overseas i.e. brake rotors; there are no brake rotors made in NA at this time (maybe when Trump gets back in).
I have found though that alot of the parts are quality, even some of the non brand name ones. I have though come across some poor quality overseas parts but it has usually been glaringly obvious. Bringing some of our manufacturing back is a good idea, I think.

It seems like the overseas parts don't have much quality control involved in their making. The consumer is the quality control; if it's defective a lot of the sellers are eager to replace it for you. That is fine as long as it isn't an internal part which requires many hours to get back in there. Customers can get fed up with the comebacks too.

I use quite a bit of overseas stuff for myself.
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1993 Pontiac TransSport 3.8
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
Jeffrv
AF Regular

I understand getting parts can always be a bit of a crapshoot anymore, as most are made offshore in some places I would have never imagined. With so called ''white box'' you have an idea what you are getting, if the price isn't the obvious indicator.
I am more referencing brand name where I feel they don't have the quality expected. For example, I bought a new AC Delco starter in GM box. Starts engine OK, but sounds like it was ripping the ring gear out doing it. Tried shimming it in all different configurations, never got it to sound properly. Also bought Delco alternator, new in the box, it works fine except at low RPM,s the lights flicker badly. Both of these items were bought online. I would expect that type of issues out of white box parts, not a branded one.
However, with the advancing age of these vehicles, sometimes getting any parts can be a challenge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrv For This Useful Post:
tinkering (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
tinkering
In the 200 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrv View Post
I understand getting parts can always be a bit of a crapshoot anymore, as most are made offshore in some places I would have never imagined. With so called ''white box'' you have an idea what you are getting, if the price isn't the obvious indicator.
I am more referencing brand name where I feel they don't have the quality expected. For example, I bought a new AC Delco starter in GM box. Starts engine OK, but sounds like it was ripping the ring gear out doing it. Tried shimming it in all different configurations, never got it to sound properly. Also bought Delco alternator, new in the box, it works fine except at low RPM,s the lights flicker badly. Both of these items were bought online. I would expect that type of issues out of white box parts, not a branded one.
However, with the advancing age of these vehicles, sometimes getting any parts can be a challenge
Your description sounds familiar.
We are indeed fortunate to find any parts at all.
Keep up the good work.
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
Old 07-06-2023, 09:16 AM   #5
tinkering
In the 200 Club

Partstree is OEM lawn and garden equipment parts, so doesn't really apply here. OEM parts themselves are often overseas produced.

I can say every automotive parts store I come across these days carries all kinds of overseas produced parts. Some are better quality than others. Usually sticking to established brand names is the safest bet for sure.
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
Old 07-06-2023, 10:09 AM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

It isn't the materials that are the problem, or at least not usually. It's the capability and quality of both design and construction. Iron doesn't care if it was mined in Malaysia or Minnesota. When a batch is smelted in Mexico and they are careful about skimming off the slag and impurities, and another batch is smelted in Uzbekistan and they don't even try to clean up the material, that's where the problems begin. When the craftsmen, accountants, managers, and marketers don't even care about any of that, the problems compound further.

When the supply chain gets flooded with those low-end parts and no one buys the higher quality products any longer, the better manufacturers are rewarded with bankruptcy. It's all fun and games until we reach 2025, and the scat hits the blower.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:11 PM   #7
tinkering
In the 200 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
It isn't the materials that are the problem, or at least not usually. It's the capability and quality of both design and construction. Iron doesn't care if it was mined in Malaysia or Minnesota. When a batch is smelted in Mexico and they are careful about skimming off the slag and impurities, and another batch is smelted in Uzbekistan and they don't even try to clean up the material, that's where the problems begin. When the craftsmen, accountants, managers, and marketers don't even care about any of that, the problems compound further.

When the supply chain gets flooded with those low-end parts and no one buys the higher quality products any longer, the better manufacturers are rewarded with bankruptcy. It's all fun and games until we reach 2025, and the scat hits the blower.
Great summary Jeff.
We are the quality control. With no one inspecting, who really cares? That's why we get bad ones and good ones of the same cheaper stuff. We are the QC. Ok if you don't mind returning stuff.You think 2025 huh?
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
Old 07-13-2023, 07:49 PM   #8
Jeffrv
AF Regular

I agree we seem to be, worldwide, in a race to the bottom, where price overshadows all. As you pointed out, the quality manufacturers wind up bankrupt as not many are buying the quality ( but more expensive) parts.
Probably not the same as in the USA, where parts for the dustbusters can still be readily obtained, but here in Canada, they are few and far between, thus the jobbers dont replenish stock. Everyone has part number but no stock available, unless the part was also used on another more popular model. Kinda makes the internet both your friend and foe at the same time.
I understand just about all manufacturers sell their products in 3 different levels of quality, and it is up to the consumer to decide which he or she wishes to purchase. However, I cant help but suspect some items are cheap ones rebranded for brand name ones, and was wondering if others have experienced that suspicion as well
Old 07-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #9
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

A prime example of that phenomenon is a recent rash of Delphi-branded mass airflow sensors. There are numerous reports of them all reading far too high at zero flow, thus skewing the fuel mixture and really screwing the PCM over trying to compensate. It took a while to sort it out, but now even Delphi is admitting that they have a problem.

Any guess as to where THOSE were sourced?
Old 07-14-2023, 05:53 PM   #10
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

In a somewhat encouraging note, look at a recent headline about North American trade:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-m...ng-2023-7?op=1
Old 07-14-2023, 11:17 PM   #11
tinkering
In the 200 Club

Wow, what does that mean in the long run? We'll find out. First reaction is hooray, the chains of china are slacking a bit.
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
Old 07-16-2023, 06:09 AM   #12
Meridivs
AF Regular

I found all my parts on RockAuto. Worse parts I ever got were from eBay (mostly counterfeit) but you can also find some decent quality used parts there. ACDelcos (originals) are never worth the price (they're sometimes faulty out of the box). A good quality aftermarket like Gates or Moog is way better.
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport