Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
sharpie22
AF Newbie

2000 GT window issue

So i just replaced the switch on my window because it was going out intermittently, then to full power. Well, didn't solve the problem and now I'm wondering if the motor is bad on the window. My window will work fine about 50% of the time...then the other 50% it wont roll up period. But the weird part is that I can resolve it by tricking my car. If i park, turn it off, open the door, lock it, unlock it, reopen the door and then turn it back on again...it will work . Any ideas?

Oh and btw the aftermarket switches from ebay suck...bought one and in order to go down all the way you just have to "hold it down a bit longer than a quick tap". OK...so now it is rolling all the way down and I can't stop it halfway otherwise it will stop, and when i release the button start going back down again. Whoever thought of these was an idiot...so now i am stuck with buying a new switch or rolling all the way down and then halfway back up every time .
sharpie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
saturntech
AF Regular

Re: 2000 GT window issue

check the wire harness that runs through the door to the body, most times there are broken wires in there.just remove the rubber around the harness to get a good look. If wires are all ok then most likly it is a window regulator
saturntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
sharpie22
AF Newbie

I will check the harness, but wouldn't the window regulator either function/not function? I didn't think that could cause an intermittent problem. That is more mechanical than electrical if i'm not mistaken.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
saturntech
AF Regular

Most time yes, but I have seen in some cases that the motor was intermittent.
saturntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
sharpie22
AF Newbie

exactly what I was thinking...think i might replace that motor this week whenever i get a chance. i'm sure that will be fun...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
sharpie22
AF Newbie

Well I replaced the motor only to realize that there were 2 problems associated with the window. 1. The motor was very worn out and slow/needed replacement. 2. The switch that I got from ebay crapped out on me in the month that I have had it. I have a new switch coming warrantied in the mail right now.

My question is...currently my window is down and my switch finally fried out on me. Is there a way to connect a couple of those pins on the set of wires that connects the motor to the switch in order to roll the drivers window up?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
sharpie22
AF Newbie

Really? No one knows how to short circuit the wiring in order to cause the window to go up? I know there is a strategy to connecting a wire between certain holes in that harness...unfortunately being a mechanical engineer I don't know *(&^ about electricity. I appreciate your guys help...thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
BNaylor
AF Moderator

To start you do not short circuit any wiring to make the power window drive motor do its thing. The drive motor uses two inputs. 12 volts and a ground. It is polarity based. Depending on polarity the motor either goes up or down. Just trace out the wire color coding from the switch assembly connector and harness to the respective drive motor at the door panel assembly. Follow to the pins used. You can apply the 12 volts and ground there or direct at the drive motor connector which should have two male pins using small alligator clips.

Note: If the motor doesn't move switch/reverse positive and negative which will reverse polarity.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
motor , switch , window
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix