Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

Why does this Forum keep tossing me out!

I am registered on this Forum.

I get part way thru a post or reply and the damned thing says I'm not logged on.

I AM! I logged on just a few minutes prior !

Then my entire message is GONE.....! Everything I typed in is GONE!

What is going on!?

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
idmetro
AF Regular

Re: Why does this Forum keep tossing me out!

DOCTORBILL;
I too have had this experience and I believe the root cause lies in that marvelous technological advance known as computer programming. While I'm not privy to the inner workings of the forums setup I think there is a line in their code somewhere that sets a time limit for account "inactivity" (who knows what thw system defines as inactivity; evidently typing in a post doesn't count as activity??) and if that time limit is bridged then it automatically logs that user out. I see two possible ways to avoid this: 1) Get less wordy so we don't take as long to type things in and trip the time limit or 2) type things into a separate word document and then cut and paste them into the forum so we don't trip the time limit.
idmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
vcrmonthly
AF Newbie

The same thing happens to me. I have learned that after I type in my post (or reply as in this case), I highlight the text I have put in and click "copy" under the file menu BEFORE I try to submit it. Then if it tells me I am not logged in, I can just paste it into another post/reply after logging in AGAIN.
vcrmonthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

So does anyone think that maybe the moderators are reading this and will do something about it...?

Do you suppose...?

Old 08-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
hot_sd
AF Regular

It happens to me too from time to time and can be a bit annoying. You can always email the site admin and mention this. Probably idmetro's comment for the reason is correct. This site appears to use a language called PHP (judging by the .php extensions on the threads in the URL window). I do not think it has any knowledge of typing activity while you are typing the text and only collects info from the form when you hit submit. I have had some experience of programming in PHP but am not an expert.
hot_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
blazee
Problem?

We've gotten a few complaints in the past, but haven't found out why a few have problems and others don't. The only time that I ever have to log in is when I clear my cookies. Other than that I would never have to log in. Make sure that you select "remember me", and you shouldn't have any problems. When you select "remember me" there are no forum imposed time-outs, at that point it's most likely a browser issue.
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

I am using a Mozilla Browser called SeaMonkey v 1.0.4.

It remembers passwords. I ocasionally do click the remember me, but it is
superfluous.

What is so DAMNED irritating is that when this forum says I haven't logged in,
it dumps everything I've written and I can't get it back.

Can you at least change that!?

DoctorBill

Old 08-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

That's why I use IE Years of using IE, and I've never had a spyware problem at all. No pop-up problems, and ALL of the websites I go to work! (here comes the Microsoft flaming)
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Damien
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Damien Send a message via MSN to Damien

WTH!?! IE!?! how!?!

i couldnt live w/o firefox
Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

Try checking the "remember me" box below the log-in. Also, whats sooo good about Fire fox?
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
ericn1300
AF Premium User

I just had it happen to me. i upgraded the Opera browser to version 9.1 and decided to use the magic wand to store my password since i set the browser to clear all cookies on exit. It might be one of those two settings,I'll experiment further.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86

1) I've never had this problem. Mozilla might remember the password for you, but it won't log you in, it'll just fill in the space for passsword, and wait for you click the log on link. by checking the box, you've added cookies that will keep you logged on to AF. Make sure you enable cookies atleast for this site in your internet options.

2) IE vs. FireFox: I used to use IE without a problem for like the longest time ever, until recently i got some ridiculously malicious trojan that took advantage of my using IE. Firefox is a safer browser, in ways, but still just as vulnerable if you do no have andi-virus and/or are just a stupid browser who goes to mal-ware infested places. Just use FireFox, its safer. I'm sure there's some threads that go deeper into the issue than I have, so if you're really interested in why, just search.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
vinnym86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

I use Firefox browser when on this site. I only have to log in when my cookies are cleared after running a program called CrapCleaner. When I log back in I check "remember me", and do not have that problem mentioned above (being logged off while typing a post.) I tend to be a man of many words and some of my posts can be "novel length", and sometimes I end up taking my time while formulizing a post and during that time, I am not logged off. I, too, thought it might be an issue with cookies, or some other setting on the individual computer.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
hot_sd
AF Regular

I normally use Netscape although I also have IE. Occasionally I find a website that has problems with one but not the other.
hot_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #15
ericn1300
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
I use Firefox browser when on this site. I only have to log in when my cookies are cleared after running a program called CrapCleaner. When I log back in I check "remember me", and do not have that problem mentioned above (being logged off while typing a post.) I tend to be a man of many words and some of my posts can be "novel length", and sometimes I end up taking my time while formulizing a post and during that time, I am not logged off. I, too, thought it might be an issue with cookies, or some other setting on the individual computer.
Yes it seems to be the way you log on. when i type my name and password it never drops me, but when i use my password saver to log me in it happens. might be a security measure against the auto posting software spammers use.
ericn1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic