Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to Murco
Just got new Jetta GLi - mods???

Just picked-up a new Jetta GLI with the 24V engine. Anybody making go-fast parts for this car yet? I'm new to dubbin'!
Old 08-20-2002, 08:05 PM   #2
Dan'll
AF Newbie

murco

How do you like this car?

Please give me a few words of feedback....pro and con!

I've been driving GLXs for years and am ready to buy the new GLI....or a whole different animal, the Nissan 350z.

How do you like this GLI?

Dan
Dan'll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
It's Gorgeous

I love it!! Do all the outside mods first, get a body kit, a wing/spoiler. Lower it an inch or two. Put some new rims on it. tint the windows, and get some bad ass graphics for it. Just a few suggestions for the outside

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:26 PM   #4
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
!?

Actually now that i look at it again, those five spokes you have on there look kinda cool. Are those the stock rims for the GLI?

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
A nice place to start:
http://www.parts4vws.com/
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:02 AM   #6
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan'll
murco

How do you like this car?

Please give me a few words of feedback....pro and con!

I've been driving GLXs for years and am ready to buy the new GLI....or a whole different animal, the Nissan 350z.

How do you like this GLI?

Dan
I love it! I'm still finding excuses to go drive it everyday after work. I have taken a few of my friends for rides in it and 4 of them have bought Jettas already! I've never enjoyed a car as much as I have this one.
I'm sure the new Z wil be an excellent performer, but I wouldn't trade the comfort and solidity of the Jetta. The materials used to build it inside and out are top quality (no chinzy plastic anywhere, unlike the Altima had everywhere), the car's doors close like a Mercedes, the ride is like a 5-series BMW, and the acceleration is available in ANY gear!
CONS - the drink-holder blocks the incredible stereo, clutch effort is almost too light (remember, my only reference for this is my Camaro), and it definitely needs about 2" of lowering as the huge wheels make it look like a stagecoach!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Re: It's Gorgeous

Quote:
Originally posted by Z28Josh
I love it!! Do all the outside mods first, get a body kit, a wing/spoiler. Lower it an inch or two. Put some new rims on it. tint the windows, and get some bad ass graphics for it. Just a few suggestions for the outside
Well, the factory rims are pretty sweet so I'll probably keep them for awhile. The only body mod I'm considering is a tastefully small Ottenger spoiler and their grill, no Gundam Jetta here, LOL! The tint job is scheduled for next week. I love the "regular Jetta" look! It's much more fun to smoke 'em with a sleeper!
I'm the same guy with a stock-looking IROC Camaro running a 545hp small-block in it. Here ZO6, here ZO6......SUCKER!!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:25 AM   #8
Dan'll
AF Newbie

murco

Thanks for the feedback!!

It's a gorgeous car, all around, no doubt about it!

Tell me a bit about tinting the windows. I've never done it, but the look is super.

How dark can you go, and how much does it generally cost?

You say that the car need a total overall lowering......you noticed that right off? I wouldn.t even see it. But "low riders" were never for me as I'm East coast and not L.A.

Thanks again, murco

Dan
Dan'll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:25 PM   #9
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan'll
murco

Thanks for the feedback!!
It's a gorgeous car, all around, no doubt about it!
Tell me a bit about tinting the windows. I've never done it, but the look is super.
How dark can you go, and how much does it generally cost?
I've never tried it and as cheap as it is to get a pro to do it and guarantee it for life ($172.00), I'd never try!

Quote:
You say that the car need a total overall lowering......you noticed that right off? I wouldn.t even see it. But "low riders" were never for me as I'm East coast and not L.A.
Oh, I'm not talking about be-heading ants around town, just dropping it 1-2" so it won't look like it's ready to go off-road. Maybe this pic will illistrate what I mean!

Quote:
Thanks again, murco
Dan
Welcome!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:23 PM   #10
WhtVR6
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to WhtVR6
Tinting the windows can cost from maybe 100 to 200 depending on where you go and how dark you have it tinted. The legal limits vary on which windows and the percent you can get. They also vary from state to state. In Atlanta, the legal limit is 32 percent(which sucks) so I opted for a 20 percent all around except the windshield, this tint looks very good and it makes the car look a whole lot more sporty. Some places they take off the door moldings and do a very good job but you can expect that to cost a bit more. I got my 97 jetta done with 20 percent(Illegal) for 150 which was an alright price. I tell you tinting is worth every penny as i've never seen something that small make such a difference in the look of the car. Send pics of before and after the tint..
WhtVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:10 PM   #11
Spyk
Banned

sO. YOU HAVE A 'MODDED jETTA AND A A 545 HP IROC CLONE.. 'THAT HANDLES WITH THE BEST OF THEM'.. AN lT4 n/a SOMEHOW WITH YOUR MOD LIST THAT YOU GAVE ME I THINK IT FLYWHEEL HP AT BEST AND THAT 525 FLY WHEEL HP.. YOURA LITTLE SNEEK AREN'T YOU.. OH YEAH STOCK YOUR glI OR S OR WHATEVER IS FASTER THAN A STOCK SEC V ... NOW I SEE THE IRONY.. ANF YOUR CLONED IROC...PLEASE.. I HAVE AN LT4 AS WELL AND YOU AREN'T GETTING THAT KIND OF HP OUT OF IT NOT NA NO WAY WELL WHICH IS IT 525 OR 545.. OR DO YU EVEN KNOW???? I THINK AT BEST IT SOMEWHER IN THE 400'S ITS NO BETTER THAN THE LS1 IN FACT IT SARTS OUT AS A WEAKER.. LESS EFFICIENT MOTOR..AND ITS A 6 SPEED... OH YOUR SO ON FOR MOROSO.. BUT FIRT RUSS SEND ME MY$1000 DOLLAR CASH SINCH YOU ARE A TRUTH BENDER... AND WE SHALL SHEHOW SHE DOES IN THE TWISTIES AGAINST A SUPERIOR LOWER HERTZ MADE TO HANDLE FROM DESING...MODERN DESIGN AND THEN ENHANCED FROM THERE.. IF WE DRAW NO CASH IS EXCHANGD ..BUT MY GUT SAYS IN THE 1/4 YOU'LL SEE WHAT A PROPERLY ENGINEERED AUTO/WITH STALL/PROPER STR/ GEAR/ SHIFTKIT AND NITTO'S CAN DO..

FIRT THINGS FIRST.. I WANT MY GRAND..ON YOUR HONOR.. OF ALL THE INCORRECT THINGS YOU SAID AND HOW WRONG YOU WERE.. AN LT4..SHIT I HAVE MOST OF THE SAME MODS IN THE ROADMASTER WICH HAS ALL THE 9C1 PACCACKAGE ALONG WITH IT ,,, FROM A ROLL IT WOULD MOST LIKE HANG WITH YOU.. TAKING AWAY YOUR WEIGHT ADVANTAGE..... YOU CAn't hide Russ.. you aren't a straight shooter.. hell if yu win any of the races the spec v 1/4 and twistie the Ws6 1/4 an twisties i'll not only give you our beting money i'll give you my prized possesion the M9 I CAPPED THE TOWEL HEAD THAT SHOT ME.
THAT RIGHT RUSSVI HAVE 4 CONFIRMED KILLS..IT NO BIG DEAL WHEN THEY DON'T VALUE LIFE

HAAHA A LT4 IROC.. THIS IGETING BETTER ALL THE TIME AND YOU THINK9SINCEYOUR SO SMART.THATAN IRS AND 6SPEED BETTERS YOU 1/4 CHANCES YOUR NOT TO BRIGHT THE IRS ONLY HELP IF THE ROAD ISN'T SMOTH OTHERWISE A LIVE AXLE HANDLES JUST AS WL..THAT WHT THE 99 VETTE TURNRD A .91 G VS THE WS6'S.89 THE S6 WEIGHED MORE AN DID NOT HAVE THE Z51SUSPENSION AND WAS A T0TOP THE VETTE WASA AHARD TOP..AND HAD A 50/50 WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION VS THE WS6 53/47.. I AT FIRST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT KNOWMORE..BUT WITHINTHE PAST 10 YEAR I THINK I'VE PAST YOU UP ALOT

SEE YA SGT
Spyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #12
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

The proceeding incoherent ramblings are from a mental patient in Boca Raton who owns a Sentra spec-V who didn't think a GLI would outrun him. Please pardon the lunatic as he is delusional, and at least mildly retarded. He also claims to be 38 years old... Anyone believe that?

BTW, Spy - At the time of the post here (way back) I was experimenting with 2 different cams. One bumped my Camaro about 23 horsepower, so that is why 545 was quoted. When I took it to the track it didn't result in any gains and the cam itself was a bit to radical for my taste, so I returned to my original grind... Let's leave one group on this forum untouched by your crap...
Old 03-13-2003, 11:15 PM   #13
VW_Tech_dude
AF Newbie

GLi Upgrades

Please leave the GLi engine stock for the first 10,000 miles. There have been some issues with the Camshaft adjusters, and if they screw up they can bend a valve. If you tow the car in because of the cam, and a dealer sees the mods, you will loose your warrianty. Please be careful with the mods that you do because the engine is sensitive to a chip changes because of the cams and the change in calculated load values.

Other then that I give you much props. If you are thinking about suspension without a "down in the weeds" drop, I would go for the H&R kit. The Coil-Over kit allows adjustabiliy and a great ride. You can corner balance your car to match your driving style, and never need to add a sway bar.

p.s. please stop banging on the Camero. If it makes power and puts a smile on your face, it is all good.
VW_Tech_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:20 PM   #14
Murco
Maximum Car Guy

Re: GLi Upgrades

Quote:
Originally posted by VW_Tech_dude
Please leave the GLi engine stock for the first 10,000 miles. There have been some issues with the Camshaft adjusters, and if they screw up they can bend a valve. If you tow the car in because of the cam, and a dealer sees the mods, you will loose your warrianty. Please be careful with the mods that you do because the engine is sensitive to a chip changes because of the cams and the change in calculated load values.
Thanks for the heads-up!! I will be getting a Magna-flow exaust for it and had planned to get the GIAC chip but the wife is driving it all the time so I rarely even get to drive it anymore!!

Quote:
Other then that I give you much props. If you are thinking about suspension without a "down in the weeds" drop, I would go for the H&R kit. The Coil-Over kit allows adjustabiliy and a great ride. You can corner balance your car to match your driving style, and never need to add a sway bar.
Again, thanks for the tip!! Sounds like just what I'm looking for!

Quote:
p.s. please stop banging on the Camero. If it makes power and puts a smile on your face, it is all good.
Banging on it? I've had a love affair with my Camaro for 14 years!! I'm NEVER gonna sell this car as it was my first new one!! Plus, I'd never recoup the money I've dumped in it!
Old 03-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #15
VW_Tech_dude
AF Newbie

"bang-on"

I ment for the other people in the group to stop taking crap about it, Not to stop driving it like you stole it. I love the American cars also. I have an all original 1955 Chevy 210 wagon in the driveway right now that my wife used as a daily driver. I am also saving up for a 67-69 Camero to drop an "upgraded" engine in that I stole from my 1964 Malibu Super Sport. So Rock-On Dude.

Todd
VW_Tech_dude is offline   Reply With Quote