Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
FastIROCZ28
IraqIROCvet03

Post IROC-Z vs. Turbo Supra

I'm a little curious about my car vs. a stock or mildly modded turbo Supra. Let me first start off by saying that I respect those Jap cars even though I prefer a 8 cylinder. Also this is my 1st post on this website.

I have a 88 IROC-Z 350 with lots of mods & I've been continuing to work on it. I've put more than $2,300 in it since I bought it last year for $4,000. I've taken care of it as much as one guy can. I want to know what do you guys think my chances of winning against a Supra would be with my list of mods and with it being tuned & dyno tested.

CAI, K&N Filters, AC Delco Platinum's, Omni H.P. Wires, Falken UHP tires, custom chipped, AS&M intake runners, throttle body spacer, TPI air charger, gutted airboxes for increase airflow, new 80 series Flowmaster exhaust with new Maremont aftermarket pipe, Borg Warner I.C.M., ASC heavy duty water pump, Ready Rad radiator, new Friction Master ceramic brakes (for stopping power), etc. There is more but these are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Quick Stock Car specs for further analysis: G92 performance package which is the 3:27 Borg Warner rear gear, modified McPherson strut & suspension system, 4 speed auto/O.D., weighs 3,352lbs. without me, with me it weighs 3,567lbs.

I dynoed my car last summer before I had my AS&M intake runners, throttle body spacer & air charger installed and it dynoed @ 282rwhp & 350 ft. of torque. After I had my new bolt on's installed I haven't had a chance to dyno yet. However, I just did the math & you can figure it out for the total so far.
25HP - Intake runners, 30lbs. torque;
25HP - T.B. Spacer, 10lbs. torque;
12-15HP - Air Charger by Hypertech.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supra_envy2.jpg (69.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg My March 2010 Burnout (10).jpg (77.1 KB, 1 views)

1988 IROC-Z28 Camaro 350 TPI Modified.
Stage 2 IROC in order; mildly built A4 Trans.
Highest speed - 150mph @ 5,600RPM's.
1/4 mile time in 03/09 before I began project on car was 14.0 @ 98mph @ Gateway International.
Best 0-60 was 4.9 seconds as of 01/2011.
Highest ticket so far: 75mph in a 45mph zone.
Best kill so far: LT1 Camaro Z28 in 02/2011.

FastIROCZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
izzydjinn
AF Regular

Re: IROC-Z vs. Turbo Supra

I myself love v8's, but when it comes to the supra and non the less turbo...... I gotta go with the supra. Check it, bone stock the supra has over 300 hp. And it weights a little over 3500 lbs, and I think its all wheel drive. With the money you've invested in your car, in the supra.... man, you would "release the craken" on the supra. Sorry, bro but I would put my money on the supra, hand down.

izzydjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
FastIROCZ28
IraqIROCvet03

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzydjinn View Post
I myself love v8's, but when it comes to the supra and non the less turbo...... I gotta go with the supra. Check it, bone stock the supra has over 300 hp. And it weights a little over 3500 lbs, and I think its all wheel drive. With the money you've invested in your car, in the supra.... man, you would "release the craken" on the supra. Sorry, bro but I would put my money on the supra, hand down.
Yeah, I hear you. I got over 300 horses right now and alot of torque. I think if an owner of a Supra hasn't modded his ride too much that I can take him. But I don't see alot of them around anyway. But thanks for being honest & while I like V8's myself, I see the appeal & I've seen the power that those Supra's put down not to mention some other tuners. If I were going to own a tuner it'd have to be AWD with a turbo.

1988 IROC-Z28 Camaro 350 TPI Modified.
Stage 2 IROC in order; mildly built A4 Trans.
Highest speed - 150mph @ 5,600RPM's.
1/4 mile time in 03/09 before I began project on car was 14.0 @ 98mph @ Gateway International.
Best 0-60 was 4.9 seconds as of 01/2011.
Highest ticket so far: 75mph in a 45mph zone.
Best kill so far: LT1 Camaro Z28 in 02/2011.

FastIROCZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
dizzle1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzydjinn View Post
The 93-98 Supra is RWD only, with the Twin Turbo it makes 320hp and 315tq and it isn't that hard to bump the power with tuning. These cars are just rare now I remember when I saw a supras go for $7500-$10000 in 2000 non turbo though. It was a cool car to me even before the 2001 movie Fast and the Furious which caused a double to triple inflation on the resale value of these cars and a great amount of these cars are wrecked and gone since the movie brought them to fame.

http://mkiv.com/publications/car&dri...3/6-cd3-93.jpg

Im a chevy fan and if you want raw power build a 427 7.0L/454 7.4L LSX. The IROC-Z28 350 is a nice car to drive it has good power makes a nice sound but still its not a LS1, I might mod a LS1 now but the old ones seem like history. I like the LS1 camaro but I can't stand the way the car is desgined its just not practical even with the new one the visibilty sucks because the roof line ends to soon, it weighs 300lbs more then it should also the trunk opening is small and not rectangular like the 69 camaro, the new mustang just shit on it but it does have a solid axle.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
izzydjinn
AF Regular

It might hard to accept for some of us but, I mean, getting that much power out of an inline 6 what.... 2.8 or 3.4 lt. With a simple computer tune, boom you unleashed another 75 or 100 hp and its still stock, cuz remember, the supra here in the U.S. its a pussycat compared to the original supra from japan. Like I said, investing over 2000 dlls on a v8, mmmm yeeeah, you can nice power out of a v8, on a supra........ Ican even imagine. And yes they are extremely rare, I think you have a better chance of finding a 69 yenko than a a 98 twin turbo supra, and if you do, it will be up in the mid 20's low 30's.

izzydjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Whoaru99
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastIROCZ28 View Post
I'm a little curious about my car vs. a stock or mildly modded turbo Supra. Let me first start off by saying that I respect those Jap cars even though I prefer a 8 cylinder. Also this is my 1st post on this website.

I have a 88 IROC-Z 350 with lots of mods & I've been continuing to work on it. I've put more than $2,300 in it since I bought it last year for $4,000. I've taken care of it as much as one guy can. I want to know what do you guys think my chances of winning against a Supra would be with my list of mods and with it being tuned & dyno tested.

CAI, K&N Filters, AC Delco Platinum's, Omni H.P. Wires, Falken UHP tires, custom chipped, AS&M intake runners, throttle body spacer, TPI air charger, gutted airboxes for increase airflow, new 80 series Flowmaster exhaust with new Maremont aftermarket pipe, Borg Warner I.C.M., ASC heavy duty water pump, Ready Rad radiator, new Friction Master ceramic brakes (for stopping power), etc. There is more but these are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Quick Stock Car specs for further analysis: G92 performance package which is the 3:27 Borg Warner rear gear, modified McPherson strut & suspension system, 4 speed auto/O.D., weighs 3,352lbs. without me, with me it weighs 3,567lbs.

I dynoed my car last summer before I had my AS&M intake runners, throttle body spacer & air charger installed and it dynoed @ 282rwhp & 350 ft. of torque. After I had my new bolt on's installed I haven't had a chance to dyno yet. However, I just did the math & you can figure it out for the total so far.

Thanks for reading.

I dunno who would win, but the horsepower and torque numbers published for lots of the bolt-on stuff is pretty optimistic, IMO.
Whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
corvettekid_7684
AF Enthusiast

What's it matter? I'd take yr IROC over a supra any day, even if it was slower ...I just love em
corvettekid_7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
philly rs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to philly rs

Supra will rape you...over and over...need bigger mods to even stay close...maybe a nice bottle in the trunk!!!!

Quote:
Your import sounds like my ass after a night of mexican food..

And spraying aint cheating, its brining a gun to a knife fight!!

yeah, its a v6 RS...never mind the f1 badges lol
HYPSI87 u will be missed
philly rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

You'd have a chance with a TTA, but probably not a TPI. That's stock, of course. There are 9 second 305 TPIs out there, but not quite stock:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/files/Smittys305Iroc9-9Run.mpg
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
johnwayne1
AF Newbie

what year Supra are u comparing?
johnwayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

FastIROCZ28, a lot of it depends on the driver and conditions, that being said I think you might win. It comes down to good old fashion U.S. torque versus a higher revving smaller motor. I have had several Toyotas and I'm not a big fan. Whether you win or lose I like your car a lot better. Just because people see it on the fast and furious doesn't mean squat in the real world.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
johnwayne1
AF Newbie

yes,it does depend a 1990 irocz withe 350 tpi would be a close race to a supra twin turbo with the Supra probably winning but , it should beat the single turbo Supra tho (87-91)
johnwayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Ikeepitreelz
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastIROCZ28 View Post

Thanks for reading.

Nice car, don't get rid of it. a 6 with Turbo is just a powerhouse, take a look at the Grand National or even better, the 1989 Turbo Trans Am which they only made about 1500 or so, that car stock from factory ran 0-60mph and with a few upgrades it was way way faster, it was reported that the car was limited only to 160 mph because of the tranny, with a swap it was an 180mph car, this is all taken of articles i have read over the years so i am not making it up. No offense to the supra people out there but a Chevy will always have that unique look were the supra to me is very "egg" like. I myself have a 1988 Pontiac GTA and love these cars, with good chassis mods and some engine work they handle like they are on rails. good luck with it, and if you really want power throw a turbo on it and prepare to kick arse.j Join the site below and my handle there is "IKEEPITREELZ" also, www.nythirdgen.org..it might be .com on one of them.

www.thirdgen.org
Ikeepitreelz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
iroc , race , supra , toyota
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions