Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 911
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
911 All Variants, 930 964, 993, 996, 997, GT3, GT3 RS, Carrera, water cooled and air cooled.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
neo the hacker
AF Enthusiast

SC or CARRERA 3.2

I live in the uk and am about to buy another porsche and am thinking about getting a 911, at the moment i have 2 944's and love them very much but cant help my passion for 73-89 911's. The two i have in mind are the 911SC and the 911 carrera 3.2 89 with the G50 box, in black with targa roof and fuch alloys, sorry have thought about the last one a bit more. Can you guys and girls shed any more light on these two and give me some pro's and con's on em. thanks
neo the hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
ledhedsymbols
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ledhedsymbols
Re: SC or CARRERA 3.2

It goes without saying that they will both provide endless driving pleasure and pure Porsche involvement... I personally prefer the 3.2, especially with the G50.... Much stonger unit. The later models also have a bit more in the way of creature comforts.... just an opinion, but I would personally look for condition first, and choose the SC if I found a far superior example.

Black 1993 Porsche 968 Coupe (official compensation vehicle.) 1999 Ford Ranger (Fishing and Track Support Vehicle) 1999 Toyota Corolla (Official low maintenance, high gas mileage commuter car)
ledhedsymbols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
neo the hacker
AF Enthusiast

thanks, i do sway towards the 3.2, as i think the G50 is a far better than the 915 and having carrera on the back makes it feel so much better, having said that the SC is said to stand for super carrera, but PORSCHE never confirmed that?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
ledhedsymbols
AF Enthusiast

I still stand by the firm belief that the most well cared for and best documented example is the one to purchase. This is soooo true in a Porsche world where major work can be enough to purchase a pretty decent commuter car... Take your time and only buy if you have NO doubts.

Black 1993 Porsche 968 Coupe (official compensation vehicle.) 1999 Ford Ranger (Fishing and Track Support Vehicle) 1999 Toyota Corolla (Official low maintenance, high gas mileage commuter car)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
I definately agree that you should find one that has been well maintained, and has documentation.

The biggest thing to remember is to take your time, and be patient. There are many 911s out there, it's important to find the right one, not the first one.

I would definately lean towards a later car if money isn't the most important factor. The CIS can be a tricky thing to deal with, especially when it starts needing maintenance, whereas the EFI is rather straightforward. The G50 is a plus as well, if you can find one. Personally, I wouldn't go for the Targa myself, as it adds about 50 kilos to the car.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
neo the hacker
AF Enthusiast

I like the targa, in black, they are the 80's and thats why i love em.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #7
ledhedsymbols
AF Enthusiast

If you love it..... ROCK IT! Cheers Neo!

Old 09-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
AC_A340-500
AF Enthusiast

Both are wonderful cars. I opted for the 3.2 because of fact that it has more power (231 hp for the non-cat, high compression version), gets 10 percent better fuel economy, and requires less maintenance than an SC. I have an early 3.2 with the 915 transmission. While the tranny isn't the smoothest thing in the world, it does get the job done. The G50 isn't exactly silky-smooth either. Condition and maintenance records are the most important thing. If it's a Targa or a Cabriolet, take it to a car wash to make sure it's water tight. Oh yeah, the early 3.2's are lighter too!
AC_A340-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
930guy
AF Enthusiast

I tend to disagree with the statement that the 3.2 cars are lighter. In the shop I work at we do a fair amount of corner balancing and the later carreras are usually 300-500 lbs heavier than any SC with the same options. So in my opinion the later fuel injection is more desirable but power for pound their about the same, but who am I anyway?
930guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
AC_A340-500
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: SC or CARRERA 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930guy
I tend to disagree with the statement that the 3.2 cars are lighter. In the shop I work at we do a fair amount of corner balancing and the later carreras are usually 300-500 lbs heavier than any SC with the same options. So in my opinion the later fuel injection is more desirable but power for pound their about the same, but who am I anyway?
Yeah, sorry. I meant that early 3.2 cars are 50 kilos lighter than later 3.2's. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the text. I agree that SC's are probably even lighter yet.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:33 AM   #11
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
I saw the most beautiful Carrera 3.2 today, it was navy blue with a whale tail, had the 996 Twist wheels, not the turbo tech ones but the ones that look like a twisted Cup II wheel. I wish I had my camera in the car, or I would have taken some pictures right there.

These are the wheels I mean

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:01 AM   #12
AC_A340-500
AF Enthusiast

Aren't those wheels similar to the ones available on the last (1994-95) 928 GTS?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:17 PM   #13
neo the hacker
AF Enthusiast

No, dont think so, their 996 turbo wheels arn't they, could be wrong. Do any of you guys get the 911 porsche world mag?, it had a very nice 911 club sport in there, it was very nice, just been restored, but their too god dam rare.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
stlrj
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo the hacker
The two i have in mind are the 911SC and the 911 carrera 3.2 89 with the G50 box, in black with targa roof and fuch alloys, sorry have thought about the last one a bit more.
Have you driven both? If so what's your impression?
stlrj is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 911