Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > GT40
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 06:14 AM   #1
McLarenF1GTR
AF Newbie

1971 GT40 on auction & best replicas?

greetings all.. first post to this forum..

have just seen this cracking info, an original for sale.. with cool photos.. thought you may like to see it http://www.qv500.com/adsrmgt40.htm

have read some of the threads.. do any of you know who makes the best replica's? any thoughts? i want to get started etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (20.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
fordjay16
AF Enthusiast

god i'd love to have that! the new gt is going to be awesome and it should be able kill the viper!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Grande
Banned

Man I used to live near Factory Five replicas and I was like drooling over the fence lookin at those GT40 beasts in there like every day!! thanks for the link bro!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:38 PM   #4
McLarenF1GTR
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

glad you liked it!!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:14 AM   #5
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
gotta love the gulf colors, never did like that hood tho...

i'm glad u chose GT40 for your first enjoy your time here!

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
Old 08-10-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
scrutineer
AF Newbie

was lucky to get a few laps of Goodwood at the weekend in a GTD40 - 351 ci yeah I knows it not as good as the real thing but it gets my vote - awesome!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
McLarenF1GTR
AF Newbie

Thumbs up cool!!

thats nice, very nice!!

i see from the various shots around on the net, that more and more original GT40's, and replica's, are appearing at Goodwood each year..

so how was the noise level (was it a glass or lexen window) between your seat and the engine? *smiling*

i once heard Mario Andretti at a business luncheon say their is nothing like a GT40 for pure noise value -- adrenalin pumping -- excitement!!

before getting my first ride in one (only replica's), i always remembered this statement because although im a european, this man has won the love and respect worldwide for conquering F1, Indy/CART, GT classes, and obviously drove one of the original 60's GT40 Leman beasts as a youngster -- like Chris Amon and Denny Hulme did.. cant remember, maybe Bruce McLaren did also as part of that NZ posse'
Old 08-11-2003, 04:51 AM   #8
scrutineer
AF Newbie

noise levels were......perfect
it was a lexan window and with a helmet on the sound was unbeatable you just cannot beat the sound of a tuned v8 especial when its inches from your head
its strange the experience,all other really fast cars i,ve been in before have had lots of support and you seem to be held in place and a little remote but the gtd40 seats gave none at all which seemed to make the whole thing more involving especially in the faster corners.
Ray who built the car also used a similar v8 and used it in a mini pick up space frame and that was also amazing but the looks of the 40 seem to make it just that bit better!
firts place on the lottery win list has just changed
i think I could be in love
Old 10-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
mlevea
AF Newbie

This is sure to start a fight although I offer it for information purposes.

Best Replicas?

I would have to say the best replica best fits your type of driving and bankroll. The purists would say you have to have a monocoque chassis. But for those who don't carry a large bankroll and wish to use the car regularly a tubular space frame may be the best choice. While the monocoque is the lighter and stronger of the two choices it is harder to repair if you get into an accident. Also if you live in the frost heaved pavement zone of the north a space frame can take more abuse than a monocoque.

Who makes monocoques?

ERA was the first and still is considered the best by many. Their replica is very nearly an exact copy with great pains being taken to get the important things correct.

CAV makes a fine example and may soon be challenging ERA for quality.

Roaring Forties in the downunder is about to release a monocoque that I hear is superb.

Safir's tooling was purchased by someone in the mid-west. The new company should start turning out cars soon.

Holeman-Moody will make one for you. I think they know a little bit about the car.

These replicas have faithfully copied Eric Broadley's original design right down to the proper suspension pick-up points and anti-dive geometry. Any deviations from the original are usually for better brakes, more footwell room and comfort.

Who makes space frames?

Roaring Forties makes a strong chassis.

GTDs from Britian look equally as strong.

There are other space frame manufacturers and please forgive me for not mentioning them. For the most part space frame replicas are not copied as closely as the monocouque examples. While Roaring Forties and GTD have been around for a while other space frame manufacturers have come and gone. The tooling gets purchased and a new company starts up and tries to make a profit.

Me? I'm an Xtremist. It's gotta be as close as possible to Eric's chassis design. Updates to take advantage of current technology like computer control, electronic fuel injection and devices to eliminate aerodynamic lift are allowed.

Hope this helps.
Electromotive TEC3 ECU

XtremeClassics.com
Old 10-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #10
hiphophomer
Banned

Re: 1971 GT40 on auction & best replicas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordjay16
god i'd love to have that! the new gt is going to be awesome and it should be able kill the viper!
wow really it took a supercharger and $70,000 to beat a viper and im still not sure if it can handle it OMG ITS A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG HOW STUPID CAN U GET!?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:56 PM   #11
hiphophomer
Banned

i bet you guys know its true so you dont post anything
Old 10-29-2003, 10:25 PM   #12
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
well... you can take your ignorance to the Viper forum... there is one of those on AF, the point of THIS forum is for those of us who like the GT40 to talk about it.

as for the viper, it's an amazing vehicle, but, you are comparing a v10 to a v8... they'll have about the same BHP, and the GT will be a much more exclusive car... that in itself is impressive

as for "took a supercharger and 70k..." how do you define beat? 0-60? 100-0? 1/4mi? ultimate top end? skidpad testing? how much of a G it can pull in a turn?

and yes, it has a lot of mustang influence... which is a shame - it should have had more from the orngonal...

but yeah, i guess my point is STOP TALKING DOWN ON THE CAR OR GO TO A DIFFERENT PART OF AF! if u like the viper more, GOOD! make a thread in Car Comparisons, maybe other people will share your opinion

baaaa... sorry for the rant

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
Old 11-03-2003, 08:54 PM   #13
hiphophomer
Banned

Re: 1971 GT40 on auction & best replicas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac427cpe
well... you can take your ignorance to the Viper forum... there is one of those on AF, the point of THIS forum is for those of us who like the GT40 to talk about it.

as for the viper, it's an amazing vehicle, but, you are comparing a v10 to a v8... they'll have about the same BHP, and the GT will be a much more exclusive car... that in itself is impressive

as for "took a supercharger and 70k..." how do you define beat? 0-60? 100-0? 1/4mi? ultimate top end? skidpad testing? how much of a G it can pull in a turn?

and yes, it has a lot of mustang influence... which is a shame - it should have had more from the orngonal...

but yeah, i guess my point is STOP TALKING DOWN ON THE CAR OR GO TO A DIFFERENT PART OF AF! if u like the viper more, GOOD! make a thread in Car Comparisons, maybe other people will share your opinion

baaaa... sorry for the rant
make me you retard, i always go to the viper and lamborghini forum and not much is going on in af excpet for off topic so i was board, and the gt40 will probably not beat the viper in 1/4mile 0-60 and in top speed it will probably be around the power of a z06 for $100k more haha, and i brought up the viper because i read an article a while back that said it should be able to compete/beat all or most of (i dont remmeber) the cars under $100k and i thought about that and that was not true because it cant beat the viper so here i was just saying that and then this ass "ac427cpe" came up and started to argue about the truth
Old 11-03-2003, 11:43 PM   #14
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Actually, the new GT packs quite a bit more punch than the Viper, in any subjective measure of performance.

With comments like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphophomer
make me you retard, i always go to the viper and lamborghini forum and not much is going on in af excpet for off topic so i was board
and with a name like "Hip Hop Homer", I get the impression you're either a middle school student who can't drive, or someone with the maturity and knowledge base of a preteen who doesn't own a car, and tries to take it out on the rest of us who do, through the only medium you have... an internet forum for discussing cars...

Pretty sad if you ask me

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #15
hiphophomer
Banned

wow looks whos talking a rich wanna be 1979 porche owner.....and i am actually 16 gonan be 17 in aug 5th, and i do own a car, a 1995 z28 hopeing to make it have a lingenfelter engine, and right now it is my baby , hoping to own a 1999 lamborghini diablo and a 2004+ dodge viper
so im not one of those gay middle schoolers...

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > GT40