Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

So it's me again with another how-to

So feeling a little bored, somewhat adventurous, and certifiably insane, I went for an incredibly dangerous mod. The reason I say it was dangerous, is that if I didn't do it slow and do it right, I would have been majorly hosed.

The reason for this mod is because even with a fairly new model intermediate shaft, my steering was still sloppy and my goal (which I achieved beyond my initial hope) was to get rid of the slop once and for all.

Some of you may remember my thread, "Facts about Steering Slop". In that thread I discussed the issues with "most" steering slop being caused by the rag joints at the base of the intermediate shaft wearing out. The rag joint is essentially a cloth material held together with rivets. Unfortunatly these tend to wear quickly and the intermediate shaft runs from 200-300 bux new. YOU CANNOT SIMPLY REPLACE THE RAG JOINT!

In the same thread I mentioned the Borgeson solid intermediate shafts that use a u-joint system w/ no rag joint as an option. Unfortunatly these too are also 200-300 bux. I found another solution.

Some had mentioned adapting Jeep wrangler intermediate shafts to their first gens to eliminate the rag joint. This hasn't been discussed much. But that as an aside, I started looking for info for using a Jeep shaft in a second gen (95 to current). Nothing was available, so I decided to look on my own.

The reason I was interested in the Jeep shafts, is because like the borgeson, they use a U-Joint type system. As long as the joints are good, there will not be any play in the shaft what so ever.

The 95 and up trucks differ from the 94 and below because the 95+ trucks have a 9 inch stem coming out of the firewall that the intermediate shaft slips OVER for telescoping purposes. This reduces vibration and in case of front end collision the shaft collapses. In the 94 and below, the intermediate shaft is the stem and the portion at the firewall is a hollow sleeve to allow the telescoping and collapse.

So Grappler and I start looking around the boneyard I looked at a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a regular cherokee, and a Wrangler. The Cherokee and the Wrangler use a solid shaft that is essentially a stem, they were more inline of the 94 and below. After some checking, we discovered only the Wrangler shaft would work with the 94 and below, the regular Cherokee was too short by about 4 inches.

Now we look at the Grand Cherokee. It's a telescoping shaft with the steering column side looked like it might fit over the stem coming out of the firewall in the 95+ trucks. It also had the added benifit of having a u-joint on both ends of the shaft allowing good support with maximum flexability. Yes, I thought. This may just work.

NOTE: The splines on ALL of the Jeep intermediate shafts including the key where it connects to the steering box is exactly the same as the Chevy's. No modifications at the steering box side are needed.

So it's d-day and after thinking about how this would have to be done. We knew we would have to shorten the stem (which is part of the steering column). This was the scary part. I knew if we got this wrong, I would have to replace the steering shaft and that would be no fun, and quite expensive, even from a bone yard. But again, being bored, aventureous and insane, I had to at least give it a try.

Shown here are 3 intermediate shafts.
From left to right. 1st is the OEM shaft w/ the rag joint, Center is the Grand Jeep Cherokee shaft, and the right one is the one from the Wrangler.

So we have to start some where. Grappler used a good micrometer on the intermediate shaft as well as the stem to compare dimensions. The stem from top to bottom (on the arced portion) had a difference of 60000th of an inch. This may not seem like much, but it is. (The sides were a good fit and considering that it's the sides of the stem (the flat parts) being clamped when tightened, we only needed to worry about the arcs.

Out comes the dremmel w/ a small grinding stone.

Here we dremmel out the top and bottom arcs to give us the fit we wanted on the stem.

So we dremmel and measure, dremmel and measure. We were getting a bit annoyed at having to keep trying to compare and test fit in the engine compartment. So what do I do?!

I break out the air grinder w/ a cutting wheel and I cut about an inch or so off the stem so we have a live piece we can work with for testing the fit.

So after a little more grinding of the arcs, and another test fit, we were comfortable with the fit.

Now for the really fun part. If we get this wrong, I'm farked. I'm farked big time. I'm so farked, I would rather be anally raped by angry midgets....But I had to try.

So we measure, and do a faux fit (connect it to the steering box and telescope it and see where we need to cut). We figured the total amount of the stem we needed to cut was 5-1/4". The reason for this is to give plenty of collapseability to the shaft. We didn't want it compressed, that would have been useless.

So we cut it off using a dremmel cut off wheel instead of the air grinder. The fact that the grinder grabs and jumps a bit and I really didn't want to cut into my brake lines or any other wiring on that side of the truck

Total amount cut off 5-1/4"

What we had left.

So we grind any burrs out and make it look pretty (and flat) and the shaft slips on like getting with a 16 year old anxious virgin. (Tight, firm, and exciting),,,,(not that I would know about that...cough cough)

Gratuitus shot of Grappler's s10 w/ the Mercury Couger rear independant suspension setup. (Just had to throw this in)

So anyway. The shaft is a perfect fit. My steering wheel is the straightest it's ever been, and plenty of space between the manifolds and the shaft. I breathe a sigh of relief.

So Grappler and I take it out for a test drive and beat on it pretty hard. As I said, the steering wheel is straight, responsiveness and tightness is incredible (especially w/ my ZQ8 steering box). The truck practically drives itself now! I don't have to swing the steering wheel back and fourth to keep the damn thing straight anymore! YAY! Several miles and tons of turns and curves later, I'm quite happy.

On my way home, I start thinking. GM put the rag joint in, in part for vibration dampning. Hmmm. We really didn't run it through a test for that. What can I do? Well, this being Pennsylvania, the Pothole capital of the world, and being in Pittsburgh, the cobblestone capital of the world, I figured a little more testing was in order.

First I head down some side streets where I know there are some bad potholes. Pretty good, but very hard to tell if there is any vibration when your truck is rocking back and fourth on the pothole slolam (sic?) I needed something else. I head for Squirrel Hill. (Those of you who live around here know what that area is like) I drove 2 miles worth of cobblestone streets. Not one iota of vibration through the steering column. It was a very smooth (albeit noisy) ride. I'm happy...

But wait! There's more!

I figured a speed test was in order. A lot of vibration can happen at higher speeds. Had to do it. I hit I-279. It's me, the road, the truck and a Venti coffee w/ a shot. (I picked up Starbucks). 50, 60, 80, 96 MPH.....Smooth as glass! I finish my coffee and go home.

So in conclusion, for an average $25.00 or less and 2 hours of your time, you can have this mod and eliminate that damn steering slop causing rag joint and be happy! Just please be aware, this is a PERMANANT modification. Once you cut that stem off the steering shaft you are committed. It's not a hard mod. On a 1-10 difficulty level, I would rate it a 5. If you do do it, you will love it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. If you decide not to do it, you can remain jealous of those that have and continue to complain about your steering slop.

Enjoy, good night, and don't forget to try the veal....

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY

Good description and photos. How common is the steering gear slop in the Blazer?

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
Good description and photos. How common is the steering gear slop in the Blazer?
Very...Chevy's in general use the rag joint. Once wet and old, it just gets sloppy. Even replacing the intermediate shaft, it will go sloppy again. This just eliminates the slop equation.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Can you put a coating on it (undercoating goop?) to protect it from moisture/oil/whatever?

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
Can you put a coating on it (undercoating goop?) to protect it from moisture/oil/whatever?
On the rag joint? No...anything you might put on there would be absorbed and still wouldn't prevent the wearing out from day to day movement

Old 01-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
DINO55
AF Enthusiast

rlith???
Will any of these help or work for the people that are jealous (LIKE ME)

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=25669

"Good Part's ain't Cheap--Cheap Parts ain't Good"

DINO55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINO55
rlith???
Will any of these help or work for the people that are jealous (LIKE ME)

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=25669
1st, my point was to elimate the rag joint in it's entirety...2nd with that link above, you would also need a shaft and an upper piece to connect to your truck. You're looking at about 200 bux total.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Teal95Jimmy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Teal95Jimmy

I know this is a little off topic, but what is the difference between the regular steering box and the ZQ8 one you have in your truck? Will that steering box fit on the the 4x4 and do you have a link for a how to of that or is it just a simple replacement of the original box?
Teal95Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal95Jimmy
I know this is a little off topic, but what is the difference between the regular steering box and the ZQ8 one you have in your truck? Will that steering box fit on the the 4x4 and do you have a link for a how to of that or is it just a simple replacement of the original box?
The ZQ8 is a quicker ratio box (12.1:1 vs the stock 14.7:1)

I swapped in the zq8 box in both my trucks. Direct bolt in. All that's needed is a new 4x4 Pitman arm (30 bux from most autoparts stores)

Old 01-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Teal95Jimmy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Teal95Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlith
The ZQ8 is a quicker ratio box (12.1:1 vs the stock 14.7:1)

I swapped in the zq8 box in both my trucks. Direct bolt in. All that's needed is a new 4x4 Pitman arm (30 bux from most autoparts stores)

Is that a pitman arm from the year my truck is or the pitman arm from the year that i'm swapping from
Teal95Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #11
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal95Jimmy
Is that a pitman arm from the year my truck is or the pitman arm from the year that i'm swapping from
The steering box will more than likely come with a 2wd pitman arm.
You need a 4x4 pitman arm, they are the same from 84 to current for the s10/sonoma/blazer/jimmy/bravads

Old 01-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
muzzy1maniac
AF Enthusiast

Ok - dumb question time. I was going to swap out my intermediate shaft with what I thought was a newer one. It seems this one is pretty beat too. I like your new idea. My question, since I haven't had the time to look myself, is the part you cut in the red circle? I know the replaced part is the bottom of the shaft. I thought this was all one unit(like a shock) but it looks like yours is separated. Do they just slide apart?

1998 Ranger Supercab
4x2 3.0L

Anyone who said There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question never worked in a grocery store!

Come visit me on www.faceforums.com
muzzy1maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy1maniac
Ok - dumb question time. I was going to swap out my intermediate shaft with what I thought was a newer one. It seems this one is pretty beat too. I like your new idea. My question, since I haven't had the time to look myself, is the part you cut in the red circle? I know the replaced part is the bottom of the shaft. I thought this was all one unit(like a shock) but it looks like yours is separated. Do they just slide apart?

That doesn't look like a second gen intermediate shaft (well, not the top part with that top joint) But yes, the portion you circled is actually attached to the firewall and it goes into the steering column. If you look at the pics of the firewall shots you will see what we cut. We removed about 5" worth...

Old 01-23-2006, 03:48 AM   #14
texwill
AF Regular

I think I see my next project with this.
texwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Southern Comfort
AF Regular

This is for my 99 S10

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 01-24-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info