Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
jesuslover
AF Newbie

2001 Regal no dash lights

My Regal has no dash lights, I checked the 7.5 amp fuse inside car and it is good. Anyone have any ideas???
jesuslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: 2001 Regal no dash lights

When you say dash lights are you referring to just the instrument Panel (IP) lamps or all including radio and climate control. Are the IP idiot/warning lights turning on at self test?

A common problem for IP illumination is the dimmer control at the headlight switch assembly or an internal IP problem.

Also, check for 12 volts at the IP fuse socket.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
johnsonace
AF Newbie

Back on 9/29/04 BOODAD wrote: "My 99 Regal's instrument lights no longer come on either when the headlights come on automatically or when using the dash mounted switch. The lights do come on when I rotate the light switch all the way right, so I know the lights still work. Also the fuses appear to be intact."

Unfortunately, BOODAD got no response. I'm having the exact same problem and several messages have suggested the same problem, but with less specicificty. Obviously it is fairly common.

All the replys & suggestions I have seen are vague hints about a possible problem with the switch or internal panel problems. Nothing that sound like a definitive diagnosis nor a success story about having found the problem and actually fixed it.

Has anyone out there really corrected this particular problem?

Many thanks
johnsonace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonace
I'm having the exact same problem and several messages have suggested the same problem, but with less specicificty. Obviously it is fairly common.

All the replys & suggestions I have seen are vague hints about a possible problem with the switch or internal panel problems. Nothing that sound like a definitive diagnosis nor a success story about having found the problem and actually fixed it.

Has anyone out there really corrected this particular problem?

Many thanks
Have you checked the Cluster (10A) and Panel Dimming (7.5A) fuses at the fuse box located at the right side of dash. Not just checking the fuse element visually but also check for 12 volts at one side of the fuse socket with a DMM or test light?

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 03-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
johnsonace
AF Newbie

bnaylor: Thanks for the reply. 12 volt OK at dimmer & cluster fuses. Does that mean that problem is definitly the switch?
best regards,
johnsonace
Old 03-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
bnaylor: Thanks for the reply. 12 volt OK at dimmer & cluster fuses. Does that mean that problem is definitly the switch?
best regards,
johnsonace
Are your symptoms the same as the OP's? Is it just the dash IP background illumination lamps, climate control and radio not working? With key out of ignition and manually pulling the headlight switch what do the lamps do when you take the dimmer knob to the full right and vary the dimmer. The PRND321 and odometer indicators should vary/change in illumination too.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
johnsonace
AF Newbie

Symptoms seem to be the same as OP's. The odometer & clock light up when the headlights come on. When the lights are turned on manually with the ignition off, result is the same. Turning the dimmer has no effect. When the knob is rotated past the detent to light the interior, all the dash & IP lights come on bright. Guessing that the dimmer is bad. Suppose it can be by-passed?
Many thanks,
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
BNaylor
AF Moderator

I'd have to agree. It looks like the dimmer is bad which is a common Regal problem. I guess you can try bypassing it at the wiring harness/electrical connector. To access and remove the switch assembly just remove the plastic cover on the left hand side of the dash. There should be two screws that hold the headlight switch onto the bezel mount.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
ez2plz
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor
I'd have to agree. It looks like the dimmer is bad which is a common Regal problem. I guess you can try bypassing it at the wiring harness/electrical connector. To access and remove the switch assembly just remove the plastic cover on the left hand side of the dash. There should be two screws that hold the headlight switch onto the bezel mount.
If you find the switch is the problem. You could buy the one I bought to try and fix my problem. In my case it wasn't the switch. It is a brand new delco, just like the factory switch and cost me $70.00 plus shipping. My loss is your gain -- I'll sell it for $50.00 plus whatever shipping would be

Just a thought.
Jim
ez2plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
johnsonace
AF Newbie

A happy ending to the story. It was indeed the dimmer in the headlight switch assembly. Very easy to swap out following bnaylor's instruction.
Wish ez2plz had posted sooner. I got my switch from Rock Auto Parts online. I first tried to save a buck by getting the aftermarket brand and it arrived with a broken mounting tab. Sent it back and got the AC Delco. (I keep having to learn this lesson, that the few $ saved on cheap parts is usually not worth it.) Rock Auto was great about crediting and getting the replacement shipped.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
ez2plz
AF Newbie

Quote:
A happy ending to the story. It was indeed the dimmer in the headlight switch assembly. Very easy to swap out following bnaylor's instruction.
Wish ez2plz had posted sooner. I got my switch from Rock Auto Parts online. I first tried to save a buck by getting the aftermarket brand and it arrived with a broken mounting tab. Sent it back and got the AC Delco. (I keep having to learn this lesson, that the few $ saved on cheap parts is usually not worth it.) Rock Auto was great about crediting and getting the replacement shipped.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I used the same source (Rock Auto) go buy the one that I eventually didn't use. By the way, my problem was with fuses being blown by corroded tail light bulbs. The funny part about it was that it also affected the dash lights. It seems that Regals have a problem with allowing water into the large tail light housing.
ez2plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
dabneytr
AF Newbie

I disconnected the battery negative cable for 30 mins and re-installed. Problem fixed! This was on a 1999 Buick Regal GS.
dabneytr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal