Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
jhedding
AF Newbie

Sur mode button 2004 impala

I have a 2004 chevy impala that is an ex-police car on the left of the dash on driver side by the headlight switch it has a button labeled sur mode for surveaillance mode the switch i dont believe is working properly and i cant seem to find anything on it or anyone else who is having the same type of issues or even a replacement....my symptoms are...when it gets dark outside and my dash lights should come on they dont the auto lights dont work if i push the sur button they flicker and then fade back out like it is stuck in sur mode i have no idea how to get it out ive tried pushing the button multiple times and unhooking the battery thinking it would reset but nothing can someone help me please at this point i am desperate you can email me at heddingjustin@gmail.com with any info i would appreciate it please
jhedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Re: Sur mode button 2004 impala

Can you operate all your lights, manually? I realize that isn't what you asked? I'll check my wiring diagrams. I don't know if impala and police impala have any of the same wiring. Your headlamp switch may have a dimmer control on it?

jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
jhedding
AF Newbie

no i can only turn headlights on manually but nothing else will come back on day or night if i push that sur button they flash then fade back out ive tried turning the dash dim up and pushing the button but nothing
jhedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

I believe the colloquialism for that button is "chicken sh!t mode" for those officers who like to catch a few extra minutes of shut-eye while on the clock. At least that's how the Ford systems work, by waking up the "surveillor" if a pedestrian approaches the car. The Impala units are supposed to just dim the interior IP lamps and override the courtesy lights. The irony is that the push button is right next to the dimmer knob which does the same thing, and next to the place where the dome override switch used to be. NOW it's marketed as a "surveillance mode" feature. I suppose the next thing from GM SEO will be labeling the ignition switch as "pursuit mode initiation" along with its own 72-page instruction manual.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Just speaking for myself, I'm a wire chaser, If I can't find the correct wiring diagram for the system I'm trying to test, I'm lost.

If the headlights work manually and the dash lites don't, if it was my vehicle, and I didn't want to take it to a shop, I'd wire the dash lites to the headlamp circuit. I can't tell from here if that would even work?
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
thzpcs
AF Newbie

That sounds like it added a ton of shit it doesn't need. I'd try seeing if you can find a wiring diagram for it and see what you can figure out.
thzpcs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2004 , 9c1 , impala , police , sur
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS