Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Seattle Al
AF Newbie

Another 2004 Alero hub assembly and front brake question.

My wife's 2004 Alero (~88k miles) has already gone through one set of front wheel hub assemblies, and is ready for another. The first time I paid a hefty chunk of change for the dealer to fix the prob, but after finding out how easy the procedure is to replace them I'm planning on doing it myself this time. In looking at auto part stores there is the option to buy assemblies both with and without sensor rings. It appears that the sensor ring is loose from the hub assembly itself, but it doesn't look like you can buy the sensor ring separately so am confused as to whether or not the sensor ring is integral to the hub assembly. If they are separate my assumption is i only have to replace the wheel assembly if none of the warning lights are on. Are there any optional/upgradable hub assemblies for this silly car?

The other issue pertains to the front brakes. It chews through front brakes like they're candy. The problem i'm seeing is extremely uneven pad wear. The pad closest to the piston will be shot while the outside pad will look brand new. Any suggestions or is this common?
Seattle Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Another 2004 Alero hub assembly and front brake question.

Welcome to AF.

You are better off just getting another complete hub assembly and not worry about specific internal parts since most are integral. I've had the best luck out of the AC Delco replacement hubs. Also, keep in mind there are two axle nut torque figures depending on the type axle nut used. So the right torque spec has to be used or the bearings will prematurely fail.

On the brake issue inner rotor wear is some what normal but check the operation of the caliper and make sure the old grease is cleaned off and new added on the caliper sliding pins.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Seattle Al
AF Newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Even though i just found this site it feels like home since, well, everyone seems to have similar problems with their Alero that we've been having since my wife bought the thing. She bought it before we were married (so i claim no responsibility for the purchase) but now it's my job to keep it on the road.

Back to business, I guess my concern is using the Timken front hub assembly as an example Timken Options there are 2 different front wheel assemblies shown... each of which say they are for my 2004 GLS. The difference being one says it includes the ABS ring and costs twice as much. Did they actually make ABS-less GLS models?

I was actually thinking about going with the Napa hub assembly for the warranty seeing as the hubs seem to last about 1.5-2 years.

As far as the brakes go I'll see how things go with this last brake job. We essentially did what you recommended so hopefully we'll get more than 15000-20000 miles out of this set of pads (Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramics) which were supposedly the OEM replacement. If people have had better luck with other products believe me i'm open for suggestions... i probably won't have that long to wait to replace them again.

Thanks again...
Seattle Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Al View Post
Did they actually make ABS-less GLS models?
Yes. GM started offering ABS as an option in the final production years on GL, GL2 and GLS models.

Quote:
I was actually thinking about going with the Napa hub assembly for the warranty seeing as the hubs seem to last about 1.5-2 years.
If the hub assembly is installed properly and of good quality it should last longer than that. If you are only getting two years or less than adequate mileage on them then something is not right.

Quote:
As far as the brakes go I'll see how things go with this last brake job. We essentially did what you recommended so hopefully we'll get more than 15000-20000 miles out of this set of pads (Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramics) which were supposedly the OEM replacement. If people have had better luck with other products believe me i'm open for suggestions... i probably won't have that long to wait to replace them again.
I use the Raybestos Advanced Technology or Raybestos Professional Grade PG Plus rotors and Performance Friction Carbon metallic pads. With ceramics you will get less brake dust but I am not concerned with that since the pads mentioned are superior in performance and overall stopping power. Wear is well above satisfactory. Over 25K miles since the last brake job and still plenty of meat left along with no noises, abnormal wear or warpage on the rotors.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brakes , hub assembly
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero