Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
snake fe
AF Newbie

CRDi shuts off while accelerating

Hello all,

I encountered strange behaviour (read similar posts down there) - engine shuts off while driving. Then engine check lamp came on. I was able to turn it on after few minutes but 'check' remain lid. It happend again after I run 2-3 km (normal road driving, speed ca. 80kph, 3000rpm). Again I stopped an after few minutes I was able to start the engine. Then I drove more delicated manner not to exceed 2000-2100 rpm and I successfuly went 100km back home.

Today I visited a service. They have changed fuel filter (diesel) as they planned due to 60.000km inspection coming (currently is 56.000km). They also checked computer - error code D0009 - not defined
We went for a test drive and it happend again with testing device connected and running. Nothing strange noticed, the same error code returned and fine drive back with keeping rpm below 2000.
They said they did not know what's up. Does anyone know that code number or have any ideas?
Fuel filter is new, no water reported, immobiliser checked (today they actually programmed new remote control and registered a new key so they checked everything).

Regards
Rafal
snake fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
snake fe
AF Newbie

Re: CRDi shuts off while ...driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake fe
Hello all,

I encountered strange behaviour (read similar posts down there) -
Hi again

In a meantime I get some news - they are going to disconnect CAN (or something that sounds like that) as they suppose (found similar issue in Holland) there is smth wrong with 4wd. They also wait for Korea to get an advice as European network never had that problem and this error code is 'not known'
So, again if you might have any hints I'd appreciate them. It is most likely that error comes from one of the computers and it is caused by any common communication bus problem.

I read some other forums and knowledge bases but now I get still - there is too much guessing. I will drop further news as soon as I get any.

Rafal

PS. I hope you manage with my English
Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
snake fe
AF Newbie

Re: Re: CRDi shuts off while ...driving

Hello,

So, after several days they finally got a hint from Hyundai Korea (as I was told). According to manufacturer this code points on electronics amd means that there is a problem with pressure sensor or pressure monitor. Today they got it at workshop and replaced suspected ones (both, to be more specific).
Unfortunately they missed - nothing has chnged and I start to wonder if it makes a sense to stay with Hyundai if authorised service and manufacturer itself are not able to define a source of the problem.

For the New Year I go with Opel Vectra - for almost two weeks Hyundai can not fix its own car, Santa Fe 2003.

I was promised by service that they would do their best tommorow to isolate problem but I do not believe them any more. They are searching for something but they do not know what happens.
Santa Fe is now dangerous as it shuts off with no warning. What is interesting - it works perfectly at any revs when not in move (neutral gear)

To be continued.....

Rafal
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

hmmm this is quite interesting, you are the second person to mention that the vehicle just shuts off for no reason and yet I am curious to see what Hyundai finds out.

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
snake fe
AF Newbie

Re: CRDi shuts off while accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits
hmmm this is quite interesting, you are the second person to mention that the vehicle just shuts off for no reason and yet I am curious to see what Hyundai finds out.

TS out
So far - nothing. They put other Santa Fe aside and replace part by part with no effect. The longest distance they run was 13km after they changed fuel pump (high pressure) but then it happened again during a test drive.
So, they already checked fuel line, fuel pressure monitoring and measurement, fuel high pressure pump (complete with valves), all connectors, computer, they also connected LEDs to all sensors and valves to observe what happens. And they are still keeping my car
They say that main valve is being turned off but they do not why and how . They put replaced parts to that other vehicle to ensure they are operational and OK. They all are fine

What's more - I was trying to get in touch with local Hyundai - on Friday (Dec 30th) it was not possible to call them, no one picked up the phone. Today I was unable to reach area manager responsible for service so I will try again tommorow. I am going to askt them how it is possible that they play guessing game with their own product.
They also did not respond for my e-mail sent last week using online fill-in form...

Yesterday Hyundai Poland told them to check wiring again - it seems that they really do not have an idea what is wrong. I will send another post as soon as I have any further news. And I am going to send an e-mail to Korea with some complaints. It really starts to make me ... you can imagine what

Regards
Rafal
Old 01-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

That would drive me crazy. I tried finding out about that D0009 code, but unfortunently the Hyundai USA Webtech site does not list any information for Deisel vehicles nor does that D0009 code show up anywhere. Its a shame that Hyundai does not have a European version of the USA Webtech service.

A few other european members have had a similar problem of their diesel Santa Fe shutting down.
One member was because the fuel pump was leaking diesel fuel from the 3rd cap located below the intercooler. They replaced it and the problem never resurfaced.
One member had to replace the whole fuel filter block just before the high pressure pump as well as some valves. The member could not drive the vehicle except in first gear only and not for long.

I'll ask a few of my friends that have diesels over in the UK and see if they have any ideas.

TS out

Old 01-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
snake fe
AF Newbie

Thanks for your effort. In a meantime I got some good news from the workshop. They seem to know what is wrong - it is a fuel injector.

After replacing all main units and creating doubled wiring to ensure there is no problem with any cable they replaced injectors and .... Eureka! ...they drove over 50 km and everything is fine.
Then they spent some more time to isolate problem (within four injectors) and they found that it was one of them that was faulty (of course that was the last they tested ) and was causing all that mess putting fuel on bypass and then shutting off the engine. Luckily my 2003 SantaFe is old enough to accept one injector to be replaced. As I was told all four injectors must be replaced in newer diesels as they are 'selected'. They are going to put everything together and check out again during a longer test drive but it seems that my Santa Fe comes back to papa next week.

Now, some info to share with you. As TS noticed there was no web info for Europe and diesel engines. However there is Korean site that might be interesting for you:
http://service.hyundai-motor.com/Tec...S/lts_main.asp

It is strange that it is neither listed by Google nor announced by Hyundai as it is in part available without any passwords. My problem is located in group 300 (fuel and engine), sub-group 353, OP Code 35310R00 - if you check NC CODEs there are both warning lights and engine stalling.

One more result of my research is VIN information website including all details of the car (options preinstalled, warranty record etc). I wonder if I can put it straight so I will send it to TS by e-mail

I will drop another post after all story comes to a hapy end. Or if it won't

And by the way: Happy New Year!

Rafal (Snake)

Last edited by snake fe; 01-08-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
snake fe
AF Newbie

Re: Re: CRDi shuts off while accelerating

Hi,

I got my Santa Fe back yesterday. It is fixed and double checked. I drove over 100km in the city just to ensure they fixed it indeed.
No complaints

I hope that story will be helpfull for other owners including the one posting similar story below (assuming it was concerning CRDi engine).
I was lucky as it was possible to replace just one injector - in newer cars it is required to replace all four despite of their condition as they are selected to work in sets.

What is also interesting was a reason for that failure (suspected). The most probable one was ... fuel quality that caused mechanical problem (tear off). And that was a reason that computer was not able to diagnose it - electronically it was fine but mechanical damage caused injector to stuck, then presure drop that influenced overall fuel line behaviour reported by several monitors and causing unknown error code. That's the story.

See you!
Rafal
Old 01-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Glad everything worked out and thanks for those links, pretty cool.

TS out

Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
predseda
AF Newbie

I have the same issue with my Hyundai Santa Fe 2004 2L CRDi. The car shuts off when accelerating and will not start in next 1-2 minutes. Then works just fine when keeping RPM below 2000.
The error code U0009 - High Speed CAN Communication Bus (-) shorted to Bus (+).

I bought this car just 2 weeks ago and it didn't give any problems when doing the test drive, even when driving during the first week! It started just today.

Thanks for posting and giving me the direction where to look.

I'll keep you updated if it worked!
predseda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
yorkymort
AF Newbie

Hello Predseda, I see it is more than 18 months since you posted regarding the Code U0009
High speed Can Communication Bus (-) shorted to Bus (+).
I have a 2004 Sante Fe 2.0 CRDi that has started with exactly the same problem i.e. shuts off when accelerating and then wiil not start for 2 or 3 minutes. Drives ok at below 2000 revs . MIL light on with code U0009 . My question is did you fix it, if so what was wrong, Thread starter identified the problem as a failed injector. was this also your solution. Would be really grateful for any information as it is extremely dangerous in most situations and could be the cause of a serious accident.
yorkymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
yorkymort
AF Newbie

Hello All, Finally got the Sante Fe fixed, cost a lot of money £560 plus Vat.
Did not take the car to the Hyundai dealer because I was concerned that it might have cost even more. Looked on the internet and found a Bosch fuel injection company in Blyth, Northumberland, they had all the proper test gear.
This is the logic behind what was happening with the engine, at revs below 2000rpm the engine and car would drive okay, as soon the revs went above 2000rpm and with the engine load increasing ( as per going uphill or wishing to accelerate ) the fuel pressure from the low pressure pump situated in the fuel tank could not supply the extra fuel required, this would trigger a low pressure signal on one of the sensors attached to the fuel system, the engine computer would then think there was a fuel leak and switch the engine off ( as per when you turn the engine off with the key ). The engine cut off switch would reset itself after a short period when the ignition was turned off and back on again hence the engine would start and run. Note that when standing the engine would rev quite happily above 2000rpm without stopping, this is because of the no load situation.
After testing everything the in tank low pressure fuel pump was removed and found to have blocked up filters on the suction end mainly due to dirt and residue in the fuel and tank. The tank was emptied and cleaned out re-filled with new diesel. The in tank pump was renewed, as was the fuel filter and also the fuel pressure sensor attache to filter housing. Got the vehicle back late October and has been running fine so far.
Hope this helps. yorkmort.
yorkymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
jordy
AF Newbie

Hi, I had a similar problem with 2003 Sante Fe and replaced the crank shaft position sensor . The wires on this were all corroded. This also happened on my brothers 2005 Sante Fe. The part costs $85.00. You can you Tube how to install but it is located in different spots depending on engine size and probobly year. Mine was a 6 cylnder AWD and it was located at the front of the engine tucked in behind the starter motor which I removed along with the Plastic bottom cover that protects under side of the car.
jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #14
nilesh_nirhali
AF Newbie

Hi, I am Nilesh from India, I had Hyundai Getz Prime CRDI 1.5 GVS, 2008 and have problem that engine shuts off in running speed of 90 kMph and check engine light comes. This problem happens occasionally when there is min. load 2 person. when max. load in car 5 person it happens regularly. At that time I switch off key fully and restart engine, it starts normally and engine not accelrate more than 90 Kmph speed ( it locks at 90 kmph speed), but after certain time engine stops again.

I had visited to Hyundai showroom, they suggested me to replace Fuel injection Pump. Cost 25,000/- INR.

I dont want to spend more money in this car.

I really harassed by my car for this problem cause it is very much risky to drive on road.

Can any one help me to get out from this problem?????

waiting for help.........
nilesh_nirhali is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06