Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Falcon | Fairmont | FPV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Falcon | Fairmont | FPV Australian and American versions. Includes the XR6 and XR8 as well as FPV models like the Typhon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 02:00 AM   #16
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

those 'Super Roo' logos were so cool when I was a kid

Peter Accardiapane also designed the stunning current CL Mercedes Benz coupes, his concept chosen over many submissions - including Mercedes own.

I hear he's now moved to ... Hyundai!
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:20 PM   #17
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Ah, you lucky Aussie bastards. With your modern V8 Falcons, and Holdens. We don't even get japan spec imports, and you get V8 Falcons...

By the way, what does a mid 90s V8 Falcon go for down there? What is the engine they use in these things?

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #18
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

I can't tell you a used car price in Australia but I can tell you about the engine.

It's a 5.0 litre V8 Windsor (confusingly it was manufactured at the Cleveland engine plant - which has caused no end of confusion). It was built to the HO Specification used in the 'Stang before it went to the current multi-cam modular engine.

The operative word is 'was.' The very last engine order for the Windsor was manufactured early this year and sent to Australia.

Finally, certain high-performance versions currently on sale now feature a 5.6 litre version. This is a local modification to the Windsor which is essentially a 'stroker' (ie a long stroke version) - the mods are being done by Tickford for Ford Motor Co Australia. (Tickford is owned by Prodrive)

These mills will be the absolute ducks guts as far as the Windsor is concerned... The modular 4.6 and 5.4 multi-cam engines (ala new 'Stang) are slated for release in the AV Falcon (possibly with some sort of forced induction - ie super or turbo charge).

Rumor has it some of the 5.6 kits may make the aftermarket after the new V8 is released to help offset the development costs - but we'll have to wait and see.
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:26 PM   #19
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Ford shot itself in the foot by axing local manufacture of the fantastic Cleveland V8 in 1982 (RIP), btw also available here in 302 cid form. All that hard-earned racing heritage & performance aura just thrown away for nix.

Regular V8 Falcons returned in the early 90's via mild 302 Windsors, from memory 165, & 185 kilowatts in XR8 (add about a third to convert to horsepower) which I guess would make them equivalent to Mustang GT engines?
Only since a recent and welcome change to more switched-on management at Ford has the 'Go-button' been pushed for more ponies with 200 & 220 kw. The latest (and last worldwide, I believe) iteration of Windsors is a terrific 346 stroker full of goodies, with billet rods, crank girdle & local Yella Terra alloy heads etc etc, all individually hand-built (and signed) for 250 kw. They sound be-u-de-full. If installed in the light 'Pursuit Ute' it's Fords fastest model, low 14's in the quarter and supposedly 250 kph. Later this year the new (for us anyway) OHC 5.4 'Modular' V8 finally debuts, in three versions.

Early XR8's hold value well, in my region opening for about A$11-12k and up for a good early one.
One A$ = 53 US cents btw
Old 04-15-2002, 09:22 PM   #20
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

V8's

Agree about the Pursuit Ute it's a very quick piece of kit and sounds the business (much better than any of LS1 or GENIII's in the HSV's).

The only other comment I can make is that there were three other 302 variants used in the Falcon. The EB GT Falcon had a modified Windsor (with SVO heads, SHOWA type manifolds and some SVO cams) which was supposedly 200kw (but dyno tests at the time were a bit more conservative), the limited XR8 Sprint (which got rid of the spares from the EB GT) and the EF GT Falcon again supposedly 200kw - using some US SVO bits.

Sometime during AU2, the XR8 picked up some mumbo to 200kw then to 220kw with the 5.6 (or the 346) to 250kw.

Having pedalled the 165kw version in a EB2 Ghia for some time it was a very understressed motor. NZ doesn't currently have rules about modifying exhausts other than a 85db limit (so you can chuck the cat away etc).

The only worry now would be fuel consumption - 91 octane regular gas here is now NZ$1.14 a litre (NZ $4.30 a US gallon). Even with the Pacific Peso (ie the NZ Dollar) that still is US$1.80 a gallon or 93c Aust a litre - and it's steadily going up. And those prices are in Auckland - I hate to imagine what is in the country!
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:03 PM   #21
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
4.30 a gallon. Excuse me. Aahaha ahah oh sweet jesus that's good.

If it's a 346 it must be a different cylinder head. a smaller combustion chamber or something. In north america, we have a 347 windsor. We will also soon have the 5.4L dohc modular V8. Thank god for Ford.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:35 PM   #22
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

I saw over US$1.05 per litre in the Netherlands last year
Old 04-19-2002, 04:09 AM   #23
Cbass
AF Fanatic

This is the advantage of living in a country that provides some of its own oil, low prices.

Also, of being involved in a prison marriage with the US, which gets us good deals on gas with the OPEC nations.

Old 05-25-2002, 01:36 AM   #24
P Stewart
AF Newbie

New GT

Whos heard about the new AV Falcon GT and GTHO due out early next year or late this year. Both are meant to have a SMG gear-box, with the GT having around 300kWs and the GTHO having about 350kWs.
The GTHO will be a limited edition model unlike the GT which will be a permanent model.
P Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:40 PM   #25
Makitso
AF Newbie

If you are interested in getting something in the States, take a look at "www.aussiecoupes.com". www.aussiecoupes.com
Makitso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 08:23 PM   #26
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Well, I'm not in the market. As it is, I'm still paying for my car, and it's pretty old...

Old 08-10-2002, 05:03 AM   #27
[M8]-Harry
AF Newbie

Thumbs up About the fourm

Hi all.

I found this forum by accident and i was really impressed by everything.

sounds like you people know your fords.

im an aussie and Ive got a 92 fairmont. with the 5-litre windsor up front and all the creature comforts. ive lowered it so its closer to terra-firma and put on some R.O.H. mags. 225/50/16

goes hard and is fairly reliable.

Really like what ive read.

ps.

in relation to the "mad max" switch for the supercharger. You can get those. as street machine magazine had an article in it years ago on how to do it.
[M8]-Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #28
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Yeah, they have clutches just like air conditioning units. I'm not sure whether they are mechanical or electromagnetic tho...

I am in the market for a set of Cleveland 2V heads for my 400... Anyone know a good source?