Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus
My work in progress...

Well this is my first post I think in the motorcycle forum here. I usually stick to the triples boards but I thought I would share what I've been working on for the last few months.

Little background. I bought this bike about 11 years ago for $60 and rode it about 2 years and the engine seized up, I guess the oil injection pump went bad and I didn't know it wasn't injecting oil until it was to late. I let it set in my parents garage up until about October of last year where I decided to fix it up and ride it again.

Anyway after scouring ebay, buying parts from michigan power sports suzi, and doing some barn raiding I ended up with everthing I needed to fix her back up.

So far I have about $450 invested and it runs like new. I completely rebuilt the engine and had bill bune rebuild my crank and put new seals in it. I ended up boring the block first over and putting new pistons, pins, and rings and small end bearings in. All new gaskets and seals on the waterpump, I had our radiator shop completely go through the radiator and restore it.

I glass bead blasted countless parts and repainted them.

Here is how it looks so far. The waterpump developed a leak so in the picture you can see the impellar wheel is laying under the engine. No big deal thats already been replaced.

I still have a lot of work to do, and a paintjob is on the agenda, a new seat and the list goes on.

Just thought I would share.

Here is the mess the engine was in. I never rebuilt one before but it wasn't to bad. Getting the block off was the toughest part.

Here is the bike partway tore down. While it was in this stage I installed tapered steering stem bearings and restored the instrument guage cluster and handlebar switches. I also blasted and painted the tree.

Well thats it, thought I would share what I've been up to lately.

John
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Re: My work in progress...

What a cool old bike. It's awesome that you've decided to repair/restore it. Liquid cooling on a 70's vintage 2 stroke, I forgot Suzuki built such a thing!! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Nice job! Good looking Water Buffalo

There was one for sale here with low miles and looked very good, he only wanted $1600 for it but it was gone before I could get over there

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Well It's been complete for about a month now. The paintjob turned out great its hard to tell in the pics but its quite a different shade of blue with way more sparkle in it, I also took the front headlamp bucket off to get painted this time too. This winter I still have some work to do on it.

Mainly front fork seals, and a new seat. Some other odds and ends but it runs like a striped ass ape.

I wouldn't mind finding a T500 to do someday, this project has been quite a bit of fun and you don't see these on the road to often.

John

Old 06-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

AWESOME job!!! That is one bad arse bike. I like how you retained the basic factory color, but with a modern twist. I'd proudly ride beside that bike anyday!

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Nice !

You know I can get deals on cars for 50, 75, up to $500 and be happy. I have yet to find a cheap good bike like that, any tips?
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj

Oh man I love it! what year is that? I have a early 70's gt550 sitting at home that I would love to rebuild just like you did to that one. They really are sharp bikes.

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Its a 73 the second year they were out. They can be quite expensive to gather parts for since most of the good parts are obsolete. I had to scour ebay for months and months to get good used and NOS stuff.

I still have work to do the cones that go on the exhaust ends are well over 200 bucks just for 4 of them so I have been waiting for a good deal to come up. Patience is key with the old 2 strokes.

If you have a 550 sitting around I would definately go for restoring it. They are fun to ride and people aren't use to seeing them out on the street running.

John
Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes