Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: The Truth about Bottled Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ri
I've heard some very convincing arguments that flouride is very bad, but I won't go into those conspiracy theories here.
Yeah, there's two sides to every story. In my case, I grew up in the country during the '60s and '70s with just well water and no fluoride. Now my teeth aren't the best that they could've been had I had fluoridated water available. We finally got "city water" piped down our road in 1993, and now my 2 kids are 7 and 10 and have NO cavities and their teeth are nice and strong. A lot different scenario than when I grew up.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #17
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

There is such a thing as too much flouride. I believe there's a documented incident of a Colorado town back in the 70s or 80s that had well water with a high flouride content. As a result, the kids brought up drinking that water had brown spots all over (or covering) their teeth from the chemical reaction. As I recall, their teeth were structurally strong and healthy, but the flouride caused discoloration.

Edit - It wasn't the 70's it was the early 1900s but http://www.chemheritage.org/explore/...rownteeth.html

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
-Davo
Banned

I know many reasons why people buy bottled water. For one: home brew. Home Brew beer can go off with tap water because of some of the heavy metals including Florine and Chlorine. Shelf water (apparently) does not contain these and is therefore better for all your brewing needs. Hmm....

...But that's about the only valid reason I can see rofl!

Nuh, once a year I buy a big bottle of water to replace my drinking bottle that I take on bike rides. The only reason I buy them, and not sport-drink bottles is because I love the big 1.5lt bottles, not the small ones.

rofl, there is a penn and teller episode where they made went to a hippy festival and got people to sign a petition to ban di-hydrogen monoxide.
-Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #19
ThatRoundHeadedKid
AF Enthusiast

Brita filters FTW...or is that a joke too?
Ride #1: 1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 Coupe (My first car/love)
Ride #2: 1975 Mercedes-Benz W116 280S (The restoration/hobby/project car)

~Chris~
My Diecast Collection!
ThatRoundHeadedKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #20
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

People buy into anything these days...

American public = Gullible and not anything less.
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #21
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaleen
People buy into anything these days...

American public = Gullible and not anything less.
"Ain 't that the truth!" Ever see what's on late night tv in those infomercials? Unreal. I guess people will buy ANYTHING. The latest thing I saw was a duster for doing housework that was battery operated and vibrated/rotated "to get more dust"! :

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #22
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivic02
That struck me as strange. Well water is the good stuff! It always tastes cleaner and doesnt have a strange smell. Maybe its just different locations or maybe your water might need to be treated differently.
Totally depends on where you're at for well water. Take mine for example...when we first moved to the house we're in now our water tasted horrible and smelled like sulfer! (Brita pitcher FTW!) but my friend that lives on the other side of town...his well water tastes great and smells great with no whole house filter or anything. We've gotten a whole house filter and all is good now. Hate bottled water BTW...tastes funny.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
sivic02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
The latest thing I saw was a duster for doing housework that was battery operated and vibrated/rotated "to get more dust"! :

My ex girlfriend had one of those....i dont think she knew it was supposed to be a duster....
Old 11-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #24
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

That duster ownz. I want one... and I don't even dust

Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #25
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Davo
Home Brew beer can go off with tap water because of some of the heavy metals including Florine and Chlorine.
those aren't metals, they're hallogens.

I don't bother with water bottles unless i'm stuck or lazy. The engineering lounge at my university had cheap food and drink and a bottle of water's only $1 so if I forget a bottle i just buy one of those. Also when i go to the theaters i usually get water because it's a big mofo (1.5L-2L can't remember) and it's like $3. I know that's not overly cheap but it's cheaper than pop and it means I'm not drinking a liter of coke (which is over 400 Cal and a shitload of bad stuff).

At home i'll either grab the brita filtered water from the fridge, or a glass of water if someone forgot to put it back in.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #26
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
...I know that's not overly cheap but it's cheaper than pop and it means I'm not drinking a liter of coke ...
People in Canadia call it 'pop' too? Interesting... I thought that was just a midwest thing

Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #27
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

yeah, just where i live i've heard pop, soda, and soft drinks. i usually call them soft drinks but it's easier to type pop.

just finished watching "should i worry about... water" and it's nothing surprising. i just find it rediculous that there're actually water sommeliers.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic