Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
AF Newbie

96 auto impreza, chatter while slow sharp turning

I thought it might be the tranny and a clutch adjustment would get it working right, but I wonder if it could be the diff?
I had a mechanic drive it, he said it could be taken care of with an additive, but I don't want to go that way. He mentioned something about the clutches slipping and causing it, but I'm not so sure. I should have payed more attention to what he said. But I think he pointed to a tranny problem. What does it sound like?
12340987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

I don't know what it sounds like, I can't hear anything from your post but I am guessing it sounds like a chattering noise since that is what you mention.

Can you describe the problem a little bit better?
Does it come from the front of the car or the rear?
From midships or the left or right side of the car?

Do you drive into a Mechanic shop, say 'there's something wrong' and expect him to diagnose the problem with that description?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
AF Newbie

i said had the mechanic drive it, he said he would put in an additive that would end the chattering, but i don't like the sound of additives. He said it was the clutches slipping, but I don't understand why that would only occur when making sharp, slow turns.
It chatters and shakes the whole car. it feels more like the front end, can't define a side to the source of the sound. If it's something to do with the tranny i suppose there would be no side. And it tends to occur more when turning left, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:20 PM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

The additive would probably help it considering the age of the car.

Do you understand anything about additives?

You had the mechanic drive it, yes, but didn't believe what he told you so why would you believe whatever we tell you, do you have any sort of understanding of engines and transmissions?
From your comment about there being no sides to the tranny, I definitely get the impression you're not very mechanically inclined.

My advice,take the car back to the mechanic and let him put the additive in (BTW, I put additive in my auto tranny Imp and it's fine).
Old 08-02-2003, 02:53 AM   #5
AF Newbie

So what is the problem?
Are you saying if something was wrong with the tranny i'd be able to tell what side of it had a problem? The thing must be a foot wide... what are you talking about? what difference does it even make?
I read additives can increase clutch wear. But I don't remember what additive he mentioned. What do you use?
Old 08-03-2003, 02:52 AM   #6
RockinWRX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RockinWRX
Possibly the center differential. Or whatever passes for that in a Subaru , I'm more of a DSM expert (so far). When that happens in a DSM , its either the Transfer-case or the center diff. Being as Subaru's essentially have no transfer case (THe DSM unit is outside of the main tranny body ) Then I'd have to go with a Center-diff problem. If there a viscous coupling between the right and left side ( I imagine there is) It may be well worn or even damaged. Or possibly a damaged CV. Generally noise/chattering is indicative of damage , not a simple lubrication change issue. The cars gotten along well all these years with out a fluid-type change , why would it need one now. Thats just my view on the subject.