Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Arros
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Arros
Talking 06' Cobalt Injectors do not fire.. Everything else is go! Any ideas? Thanx 4 ur help!

We just bought an 06 Cobalt from auction
automatic

(it's only got 23K miles!!!! )

however, i haven't gotten her on the road yet.

There was some minor issues we took care of already, like the ignition key wouldn't lock and come out. I'd read that the shift linkage could cause problems with that, but it turned out somebody had messed with a small switch on the underside of the column that controls the release. (somebody apparently had messed with things trying 2 figure this out b4)

Ok we found that the ignition switch will not crank the car. Everything on the Dash turns on and seems fine. The little Theft lock light comes on momentarily and then turns off. When i attempt to crank with the key nothing happens. We cranked the car directly from the starter, and found that the ignition system fires fine. We sprayed gas into the intake and ran the car for a couple minutes.

What puzzles me is that the fuel pump runs, builds pressure, but the injectors aren't firing!

Any ideas?

I really appreciate the time anybody takes to respond!

Thanx again

-Arros-
Arros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
Arros
AF Newbie

Re: 06' Cobalt Injectors do not fire.. Everything else is go! Any ideas? Thanx 4 ur help!

well... thanx 4 the help!

lol well anyway, we verified there is indeed power going 2 the injectors, and they 2 were dripping, the other 2 were completely clogged. I couldn't believe it when we removed the rail and injectors. We found black gunk in each injector and in the fuel rail!!!

wtf!?!?

weird... anwho, i'll keep posting in case anybody's actually reading this...

-Arros-
Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 06' Cobalt Injectors do not fire.. Everything else is go! Any ideas? Thanx 4 ur help!

Welcome Aboard!

I think a lot of people took the day off yesterday, so there may not have been many who saw your post.

The tar/sludge in the fuel rail obviously has to be cleaned out. (I wonder if someone used SeaFoam in it.) I'd plan on flushing the entire line set, regulator, tank, and injectors, then install a new fuel filter before proceeding.

The fact that it doesn't crank AND the injectors don't fire certainly points toward the VATS/PassKey, but your description of the operation of the SECURITY light seems normal. Are you able to test the injector harness with a meter or light while cranking?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie
Welcome Aboard!

The fact that it doesn't crank AND the injectors don't fire certainly points toward the VATS/PassKey, but your description of the operation of the SECURITY light seems normal. Are you able to test the injector harness with a meter or light while cranking?
+1 to that. Getting this vehicle from auction is another clue that you may not have the correct chipped and programmed key for this vehicle, especially if it's had ignition issues.

Joel
Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Arros
AF Newbie

Cool 06' Cobalt Injectors do not fire.. Everything else is go! Any ideas? Thanx 4 ur help!

Thanx 4 the reply guys! We did check the injectors or the pigtails rather with a test light, and meter. I was definitely getting power to the injectors.

We soaked the injectors in warm diesel hoping to get that gunk out.
I'm not sure how or why but i think that killed them... O.O!

They didn't do ANYTHING after that even when introduced to 12 volts directly lol

O well, we already had new injectors and we popped those puppies in (after cleaning the system ^_^) and she fired right up!

I ran into new issues though! lol took her 4 a test drive, and realized it wouldn't shift out of second or third (not sure which) and after a bit it'd trip into "engine power reduced" mode and give me a
P2101
P1516
codes! O.o so any advice would be appreciated ^_^
and yes Rodeo 02 the auction is a lovely place full of surprises lol!
It was a deal i couldn't turn down though, hopefully it doesn't end up costing me more than i saved lol

-Arros-
Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

A quick Google came up with:

P2101 = Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance

P1516 = Same thing as above.

Your 2.2L Ecotec has electronic throttle control. Did you mess with the harness to the TAC? (throttle actuator controller) Is there anything impeding movement of the throttle plate? Also- NEVER actuate the throttle BY HAND on these while the key is on or the engine is running. Doing so will wreak havoc between the accelerator pedal position sensor and the TPS's in the throttle body. If you did mess with the throttle from under the hood, I'm not sure how to get you out of this aside from pull power to the ECU to reset everything?

Joel
Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
Arros
AF Newbie

Wink 06' Cobalt Is Funky Like a Monkey on a treadmill!!!!

Dang, i did mess with the throttle...
These cars r sooo sensitive 2 any little thing!

Ok i actually had to pull the battery, so it sat overnight without.
When i hooked it up the next morning and took it 4 a testdrive, i didn't get the Engine power reduced situation again.
However, the Trans is still not shifting.
And i'm also not getting any response from the speedometer.

Vehicle Speed Sensor Maybe?

Is there any way of checking that bugger? I checked the wires going 2 the sensor to confirm there was power, and learned something veeery interesting... There was power in both wires! O.o Is this supposed 2 happen?

again, the car only has 23K miles. It's GOTTA be sumthing electrical i'm thinking!!!

Thanx again 4 all the info guys! ^_^

-Arros-
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: 06' Cobalt Is Funky Like a Monkey on a treadmill!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arros
..However, the Trans is still not shifting.
And i'm also not getting any response from the speedometer.

Vehicle Speed Sensor Maybe?
I don't know how to test the VSS, but your trans definitely won't shift without one. The PCM needs a speed input from the VSS to tell the trans when to shift.

Joel
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
mark44004
AF Newbie

Re: 06' Cobalt Injectors do not fire.. Everything else is go! Any ideas? Thanx 4 ur h

There is a fuel injector recall. Take it to your dealer and they'll fix it free.
mark44004 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt