Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 AM   #1
ales
Forza Schumacher

Wilson - Jaguar rumour confirmed!

From pitpass

Quote:
Wilson joins Jaguar for remainder of 2003
21-07-2003

Jaguar Racing issued the following statement at 14:00 today
To the great regret of Jaguar Racing, Antonio Pizzonia has not been able to realise his potential with the team over the past eleven races. Jaguar Racing therefore has decided that it is neither in his best interests, nor in the teams, for Antonio to continue to driving as full time race driver at this time. In an effort to continue supporting Antonios development, however, Jaguar Racing has offered him the opportunity to remain with the team as reserve and test driver.

Agreement has been reached with Minardi F1 to allow Justin Wilson to complete the 2003 season with Jaguar Racing. This is an agreement for the remainder of the 2003 season only, with options for future years that provide Jaguar Racing with additional choices for 2004.

David Pitchforth, Managing Director, Jaguar Racing: We are delighted to have Justin join us for the remainder of the 2003 season in what is a richly deserved opportunity. In the Jaguar R4, we clearly have a competitive car and one that has helped Mark Webber secure twelve points thereby taking the team to 6th place in the Constructors Championship. With five races left on the calendar, it is critical that we are maximising our potential with two race cars.

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
ales
Forza Schumacher

and the Minardi release:

Quote:
The European Minardi Cosworth Formula One Team announces that, with immediate effect, its driver, Justin Wilson, is transferring to Jaguar Racing, and that his place in the Faenza squad will be taken by up-and-coming Danish star, Nicolas Kiesa.

This follows Wilsons impressive showing in yesterdays British Grand Prix at Silverstone, as well as a series of strong performances in this, his first season of Formula One competition, that have marked him out as a future star of the sport. It is also the third time in three successive years that European Minardi has helped to launch the F1 career of an aspiring young driver, as Wilson follows in the footsteps of Fernando Alonso (2001) and Mark Webber (2002).

Copenhagen-born Kiesa, 25, has trodden the normally accepted training route for front-line single-seater racing drivers, having started out in Danish, European and World Karting Championship events, before graduating to Formula Ford, the British and German Formula Three Championships, and most recently, the FIA F3000 International Championship. He has driven for the Den Bla Avis team this season, memorably winning the Monaco Grand Prix support race at the end of May, and was lying fifth in the Championship standings following last Saturdays Silverstone round, where he scored another point.

"Its a case of mixed feelings when it comes to Justins departure from European Minardi," comments Team Principal, Paul Stoddart. "We are obviously sad to lose him, but pleased, and proud, that he has been able to demonstrate his undoubted driving talent at Minardi. A move to Jaguar Racing gives him the opportunity to develop his talent further and, at the same time, benefits Minardi enormously, as it helps to assure the teams future in Formula One. Like Fernando and Mark before him, Justin is now clearly on his way. This also clearly illustrates one of the invaluable roles that the smaller, independent teams fulfil in this sport: they are able to give young drivers the opportunity to showcase their talent and establish themselves as Grand Prix stars of the future."

"Looking ahead, we welcome Nicolas to the team. He comes with impressive racing credentials, and all of us at European Minardi Cosworth look forward to working with him." concluded Stoddart.
This one was taken from F1-live

Old 07-21-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
ales
Forza Schumacher

Can't help but feel sorry for Pizzonia. He came with recommendation from frank Williams, but something happened that prevented him from being as fast as he can. But the writing was on the wall, especially after jag announced that Pizzonia will stay until the end of the year

And let me take this opportunity to say a few words about jaguar racing. That is an example of money-driven and profit-oriented team if there ever was one! First the pink jaguar at Monaco and T3 this weekend. What are they, a very expensive pin board? This team had better get their priorities straight or they'll find it hard to be anything more than a laughing stock of the paddock.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:28 AM   #4
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

So, once more , Minardi profiles itself as a "ladder" team, one where revelations are tested and then go on to more "real" teams.

I m happy for wilson, I hope he makes the best of it at Jaguar.
Only question that arises in my mind is wether the R4 will be big enough to support this gentle giant . Remember, stoddart had the Minardi especially built so Justin could easily fit into it , and knowing that Pizzonia and Webber are pretty much pocket-sized, compared to wilson ...

but that will have been thought of , I guess, knowing the sort of money involved (to survive further in Formula one )

Olivier
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #5
freakray
AF Modelrater

I don't know whether to feel sorry for Pizzonia and disgusted at Jaguar or not......
Old 07-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Smile

What next, Webber to McLaren, DC to ???
Old 07-24-2003, 08:41 AM   #7
Raging Bull
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Raging Bull
Quote:
Originally posted by bigfrit

Only question that arises in my mind is wether the R4 will be big enough to support this gentle giant . Remember, stoddart had the Minardi especially built so Justin could easily fit into it , and knowing that Pizzonia and Webber are pretty much pocket-sized, compared to wilson ...

Olivier
I heard that Wilson was only just bigger than Webber, he is actually fairly tall also. Probably the illusion of TV or sumthing making him look smaller than he is!??!?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #8
Guido
AF Enthusiast

Well, a classic end to this story.

Pizzo was already in the ejection-seat for some time. And you can bet that Stoddy got some serious money out of that. So everybody happy? Except Pizzo?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:43 AM   #9
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Smile

Stoddy got reduced engine prices in the deal. I read that Wilson used to beat Webber in a lower formula.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One