Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #61
the blur
AF Enthusiast

seems to happen more in the summer than the winter. at least on mine.
the blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:58 PM   #62
sTUNNA
AF Newbie

Re: Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

Mine does it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster23
I have a 2003 Denali and I have the same popping noise. I've been calling
and complianing to GM for quite sometime now. I keep getting the same answer about them working on the problem. Its been close to a year now. I think they are trying to avoid replacing the exhaust system. I had a 2001 Denali and I didn't have this problem. I don't think we should have to live with this problem. Especially the hefty price tag they carry.
I ask the dealer I brought mine from, how come the 2003 didn't come with michelin's? He said they were cutting cost. So I assume they probably put a cheap exhaust system on there too.
I think they cut a lot of costs on the 03. It didn't have chrome muffler tip, the headrests looked plain and still are (compared to the 01-02), the door panels didnt have the denali engraving and still don't.
sTUNNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #63
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261shepgap
I have had my 04 Yukon in for the exhaust popping noise twice so far. They could relyyy not care less about the proble. Im wondering if this warranty is worth the paper its written on? Disgusted with GM already.

As was said about 1000 posts back; GM has identified the problem as a design flaw....moisture getting trapped inbetween the muffer material and the case. Once there is enuff heat/cooling for the water vapor to expand and or contract, we all hear this very abnormally loud sound emmitting from underneath. The muffer sucks is the bottom line.

I would imagine part of your statement is correct that GM is really not interested in replacing these things soon. Its a muffler. Its kinda like if the break pads were squealing......if they still work, which the muffler does -its just a nuciance(Misspell?), then it wont be either recalled or replaced under warranty. In other words its not a safety issue to warrent a recall, and it something that is not "broken" to warent warranty service. Its kinda a catch 22 for both owner and GM. The warranty is good. The muffler is not. GM I would bet say "Its just a muffler popping, if you dont like it, have a new one put on". Its like your wheels; if you want 21" chrome wheels, then you buy it. The ones we gave you work too dont they? -See my point.

Its kinda like those stuipd daytime running lamps we all see (or dont see). I would bet money that at least 6 out of 10 GM full-size trucks and SUV's running on the road as I type now have at least 1 lamp out. Again, we are dealing with a poor design. In this case its cheap lamp bulbs. Now we can either go back to the dealer (remember an idiot continues to repeat himself) to have them replaced for free every other month until 36,000 miles OR just go to AutoZone and BUY better ones that should last forever. Its just one of those things we have to do I guess. The only diff. here is that the aftermarket upgrade for a bulb is a few bucks and can be done in your driveway in 2 minutes; an aftermarket muffer on the other hand......

The bottom line is dont expect GM to fix it. Bite the bullet (no phun) and have at least a better muffler put on by a shop, and take your losses on this issue. You'll be happy that you upgraded the muffler anyway, and so will your turck
sunbeam7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #64
the blur
AF Enthusiast

on most mufflers I've seen, there is a little hole in the back of the muffler to let the condensation out. seems pretty normal to have water in there, and alot of it drips out on a cold day.

then why would they put straps on it?? if it is not a heat shield issue?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #65
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTUNNA
Mine does it too.

I think they cut a lot of costs on the 03. It didn't have chrome muffler tip, the headrests looked plain and still are (compared to the 01-02), the door panels didnt have the denali engraving and still don't.
Chrome? I thought it was stainless steel? I mean, it doesn't look like polished chrome to me...but in any case they put the tip back on for '04.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #66
gimme7x
AF Newbie

Angry Exhaust System Popping/Snaping When Hot

Here is my two cents for what it is worth.
I have the '04 Denali with the same annoying bell sound from my muffler. I can hear it driving down the road and inside of my house also when parked out front. I bought it in July 04 and in September I was able to get my dealer to put in a full new exhaust. This solved the problem. FOR ABOUT 600 MILES ! Now it is back to the same old noises. People that post in here about these noises being normal have never heard what us are talking about. This is not the normal expand contract that my old chev used to make after parking it in the driveway.
Anyway... Rather than listen to it and have to think about it everytime I drive, I will take the advice of some here and go with aftermarket. I figure if I can afford 50k what the heck is another 200 bucks.
gimme7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #67
the blur
AF Enthusiast

if you must go aftermarket, get the corsa. it's GM approved, & won't void your warrenty. It is quiet until you get on it; then you;ll hear the 325 hp of the 6.0L motor.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #68
gimme7x
AF Newbie

This question will show my ignorance.

If I go with an aftermarket muffler other than a GM approved muffler, (Corsa) what part of the warranty exactly am I voiding?
gimme7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #69
sunbeam7011
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme7x
This question will show my ignorance.

If I go with an aftermarket muffler other than a GM approved muffler, (Corsa) what part of the warranty exactly am I voiding?

Your not voiding any part of the warranty except that the dealer will not fix any "problems" with whatever you replaced an OEM item with. Nearly all exhaust systems, cats, mufflers, etc. are "50 state legal" and will not damage another sub-componet or waranty of your vehicle.

The Corsa exhaust just happens to be "approved" by GM. All this means is they made some agreement to "pedal" or store front their systems through GM dealers as a "dealer upgrade". They do it all the time here for roll pans, dash mats, color matched bug deflectors, tires and wheels, window tinting, alarm systems and in this case exhaust systems. In fact some of these items, even the so called "GM exhaust", may be done by an outside vendor such as a muffler shop. You sometimes even see them on the lot; a customized truck or SUV that the guys in the shop got a hold of and did some "authorized" upgardes to the truck to give it more curb appeal. In this case, the dealer would perform any service on those items since it was sold that way. Anything you do on your own wont be covered. Even then, items that are aftermarket, even if put on by a dealer, still have their own seperate waranty that is seperate from the rest of the vehicle.

BUT if you go to an exhaust shop (which I recommend -they do this for a living day in and day out and as I said earlier -an exhaust shop maybe the ones doing it anyway since the dealer my contract that service out) they will "warranty" their products and services as well. So you go back to the dealer or you go back to the muffler shop. take your pick.

Do you go back to the dealer for tires? Or a new battery? -Me neither. Those too would no longer be "covered" either.

So 6 half dozen the other. Its your choice. But dont let words like "Approved" and "waranty" scare you out of other choices you may have.
sunbeam7011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 PM   #70
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

It should be noted that "50-state legal" only means that a part which is labelled as such will/should not adversely affect tailpipe emissions--IOW, installation of such a part will not cause you to fail a smog check/test, nor should disqualify your vehicle from such a test.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:16 AM   #71
Duke_Bradford
AF Newbie

Question

I'm new here, I just bought my First GMC. 04 Yukon.
I have 700 miles, and I too am having the Popping sound.
I know this topic was discussed alot & I don't want to beat a dead horse, But has anyone really had any luck getting this fixed.
If so, what was the solution?

I'm heading back to the Dealer next week. And I Don't want to hear the Run-A-Round from them. I would like to know, (& tell them) how to fix it.

Thanks
Duke.
Duke_Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #72
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

I think the only known solution that has a high probability of success is to get an aftermarket muffler. Sorry for sounding like a smarta** (not my intent), but the sad reality is that based on tons of anecdotal evidence, GM's fix (straps and/or replace w/ another OEM muffler) doesn't seem to last long...
Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #73
the blur
AF Enthusiast

I'll add to the list of people that say the straps DON'T help. mine was slightly popping tonight with the week old straps. nothing annoying, but appearently the straps are a GM engineering joke.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:36 PM   #74
My Papa
AF Newbie

Hey Duke join the crowd, Mine started at 500 miles and you are wright on track you are beating a dead horse. Dealer will do nothing and GM customer service will do even less. I now have 3000 miles the second OEM muffler tail pipe no change. My next step is to press them for a voucher valued at least $500. for cost of aftermarket system.
My Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #75
bpnsd
AF Newbie

Let me give you guy some more info on this topic. Dealers are told that there is no fix for this concern, but if the customers is persistent or unhappy with that answer to go ahead and offer the Corsa exhaust. the Corsa did fix the problem, but witjin the last few weeks GM has told the dealers to cease and assist on the Corsa plan and advise the customer that the General is working on a correction. I know, I know bs right? Well we'll see. But dont forget that the dealer did not build nor have any hand in the engineering of your expensive suv. If GM syays that there is nothing the dealer can do then thats it. Beyond that you are asking the dealer to pay for repairs that GM will not reimburse them for.
bpnsd is offline   Reply With Quote