Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #46
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MCO_Death Send a message via MSN to MCO_Death Send a message via Yahoo to MCO_Death
Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook
Do the upgrades to the Imps increase there toruqe and HP?

Also what's the difference between 9c1 and 9c3 and what do they stand for?
9C1 / 9C3 don't really stand for anything to my knowledge, just what they choose to use for the option Package.

9C1 / 9C3 Mechanically are identical. Interior choices and exterior choices are what vary with them. 9C1 being the type most departments would buy to paint, decal, light-bar and whatnot. 9C3's is the package option for a department that would want Undercover cars, or occasional state governments buy for general use, such as detective vehicles.

Only department off the top of my head I can think of that i've seen use both is CHP. They have marked Impala's and ones that look just like any other Impala on the road. Great for tagging speeders I imagine.
MCO_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #47
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Death
Police Departments are cheap, there is no reason for one to spend the extra $ on such on option for %99 of the police departments. If they wanted the extra power for pursuit, they would likely just make use of the Crown Vic, which has a higher top end to begin with.

Simply put, I have not heard/seen such a car built.

The Police Interceptor Crown Vic appears to a good automobile compared to the Impalas they use which are very few in our area. Everyone I've talked to has never personally seen a L67 2000-2003 Impala but GM did offer the RPO. Probably no takers.

Our Police department and Sheriff's department took it a step higher. They use pursuit Mustang GTs and Camaro Z28s. They were purchased and maintained with seizures of drug money and not by the taxpayer.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #48
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MCO_Death Send a message via MSN to MCO_Death Send a message via Yahoo to MCO_Death
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor3400
The Police Interceptor Crown Vic appears to a good automobile compared to the Impalas they use which are very few in our area. Everyone I've talked to has never personally seen a L67 2000-2003 Impala but GM did offer the RPO. Probably no takers.

Our Police department and Sheriff's department took it a step higher. They use pursuit Mustang GTs and Camaro Z28s. They were purchased and maintained with seizures of drug money and not by the taxpayer.
Mustang GT's and Camaro's are not useful for hauling anyone to be arrested, which is their only downfall to police use, sure they can go fast, but not that many people succesfully outrun the standard cruisers.

I have seen L67 Impala's before the SS came out, but never a police packaged one. Just to clarify.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #49
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Death
Mustang GT's and Camaro's are not useful for hauling anyone to be arrested, which is their only downfall to police use, sure they can go fast, but not that many people succesfully outrun the standard cruisers.

I have seen L67 Impala's before the SS came out, but never a police packaged one. Just to clarify.

Of course, the local law enforcement here has a full fleet of Crown Vics. The pony cars are used for traffic and hi-speed pursuit which happens every day in my neck of the woods (West Texas). I beg to differ on outrunning standard cruisers..... that easy, its the radio thats hard to outrun.

I'll keep on looking for a police L67 Impala. May get lucky one day. I like collecting L67 equipped GMs no matter what model and that includes the Impala.

Thrasher CAI, DHP v1.0 ECU, Granatelli CAI Tuneable MAF,
3.4 SC pulley, Hi-Flow CAT, u-bend delete, 180 TS, TB spacer
ET: 14.3 @ 96 mph

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #50
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor3400
Of course, the local law enforcement here has a full fleet of Crown Vics. The pony cars are used for traffic and hi-speed pursuit which happens every day in my neck of the woods (West Texas). I beg to differ on outrunning standard cruisers..... that easy, its the radio thats hard to outrun.

I'll keep on looking for a police L67 Impala. May get lucky one day. I like collecting L67 equipped GMs no matter what model and that includes the Impala.

It would be nice to know if you do find one. If my engine ever goes, I intend on putting in the latest version of the supercharged 3800. I'm far to stubborn to just give up on a car unless the frame is shot.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:19 AM   #51
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Just the right weather conditions permitted me to notice this ontop of my car the other day, I thought it was neat.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 PM   #52
bcook
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bcook
I read the speed limiter was raised to 124 MPH. Where was it prior?
bcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #53
bigrod118
AF Enthusiast

around 105
bigrod118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #54
Pat_OD
AF Enthusiast

whats it say on top of your car?something over 5
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #55
bigrod118
AF Enthusiast

well just looking at it, it probably doesnt actually say anything. the 5 is the car number, and at the end the last two letters are PD as in police department, so the first letters are probably city initials, like NYFD(new york fire department) but it is interesting since there are four letters before the PD.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #56
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrod118
well just looking at it, it probably doesnt actually say anything. the 5 is the car number, and at the end the last two letters are PD as in police department, so the first letters are probably city initials, like NYFD(new york fire department) but it is interesting since there are four letters before the PD.
B.S.O.T.P.D.

Berrien Springs Oronoko Township Police Department

Mouthful for sure. Same letters are right above the tail lights as well.

It indeed was car '5'

Another fun fact, the car was a two-tone paint of the green with the bottom half being red. Someday, i'll go down to where it came from and see if they have any other Impala's on the force to get pics of, to see what the car would have looked like in full service.

Another note, Regular Impala's are limited to 115mph, Police ones 124mph. Mechanicle issues are what keep them limited at all, not that I know the reasons off the top of my head.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #57
bigrod118
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

personally I cant give too much recongnition to that figure, my limiter as well as my best friends kicks us down at between 105 and 110, with us giving a little le-way on the needle, so I cant say 115, usually I would say when I needle hits 108 it kicks me down to 95 or so.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #58
thermal izod
AF Regular

where can i get PD parts, aside from lights etc....i mean pushbars, center caps etc....?
thermal izod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #59
MCO_Death
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: How many Ex-Police Impala Owners are out there? (9C1/9C3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrod118
personally I cant give too much recongnition to that figure, my limiter as well as my best friends kicks us down at between 105 and 110, with us giving a little le-way on the needle, so I cant say 115, usually I would say when I needle hits 108 it kicks me down to 95 or so.
The factory 'stats' say 115, I assume the speedometer might be off at reading the right speed. I know the LS will read just a bit over 110 mark and then you feel the limiter kick in. The Cruiser I only hit the limiter once trying to keep up with a Corvette making good time
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #60
Pat_OD
AF Enthusiast

goto Ebay

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS