Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 12:29 PM   #16
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
WELCOME......HEY COULD U DO A HOMEMADE TURBO WITH THE B18C1?? WWW.HOMEMADETURBO.COM IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:41 PM   #17
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

For the love of hell people, it's a waste to spend the extra cash on a type R engine if you just going to change the pistons for lower comp. ones and then turbo it negating most of the gains from the head work.

If your going to go all motor sure, a B18C5 or a B16B would be good because they have lighter internals, higher compression ratios and head work. However this stuff is mostly pointless, if not detrimental to a turbo setup. So really, why would you pay MORE money for something that your going to change anyways. This way your paying more for the upgraded head and internals, then you have to take them out and replace them with other parts that would cost you even more money again. Just because it's a type R engine doesn't mean it's the better choice.

If your going mostly for show I suggest a B16A or a B18C1, or maybe even a B18B would be a good choice. Then turbo it and with other basic bolt-ons you should be making enough to keep the car relatively quick. On a side note though, don't use wheels bigger than 16 inches, they will slow you down a LOT.

Bottom line, don't waste the money on the type-R engine. It's all just hype from people who are more impressed with the image than actualy times.

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
CAptynCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:17 AM   #18
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by CAptynCrunch
Bottom line, don't waste the money on the type-R engine. It's all just hype from people who are more impressed with the image than actualy times.
Why do people always say that? The hype about Type R's is what's put out by people who wish they had a Type R. The people with Type R motors build Honda's for what they were made for.... autox, NOT DRAG RACING!!!!
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:24 AM   #19
civickiller
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to civickiller
there is a fat type r hype, its the people who think that if you get a type r engine, youll run 10s

IMO the type r motor is only good for 1) people who are only going show because its a cool motor for shows 2) people who dont race or race very little and just wanna brag they got a type r

the type r motor is not good for racing. if i only wanted to run 14s and thats it, id get a type r motor.

but also keep this in mind if you only plan on running the turbo at no more than 7psi, then a type r motor at 7psi will have more power than a b18c1 at 7psi.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #20
funkdaflex1
AF Enthusiast

civickiller the typeR motor was specificly built for racing hence the R.
funkdaflex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:24 AM   #21
civickiller
AF Fanatic

yeah you think the type r was built for racing, hmm. do you know anyone that races a stock type r ? well they should right because thats the race engine, but sorry to say they dont. why because its slow
Old 03-15-2003, 12:20 PM   #22
B16EJ1
AF Fanatic

Yes they do race Type R's.....like I said befor autox. The drag strip is not the only type of racing. It's made for the track not the strip. Take all your 12/10 sec cars,H22 swapped civics, crvtec's, and see what happens in the track.
B16EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #23
V00D00
AF Enthusiast

mmm engine wars. i love this.
So from what im reading the b18c5 type r isnt worth the extra money?
So all in all what is the engine of choice?
V00D00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:53 PM   #24
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
b18c5 is worth the extra money and it isn't.......i'd go for the b15c1....if i had the money i'd get the b18c5....but since u have 6k to spend u'd be better off with the b18c1 and turbo....imo
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #25
strodda
AF Enthusiast

bottom line, if you want to go turbo, dont get the c5. but personally i like the all motor route. but for youre budget, if youre set on getting turbo, get the b18c1 or the b16 like everyone else is mentioning.

and about an itr only being a 14sec car, thats not true. a friend of mine has one and runs 13's consistantly, and he hasnt even worked the internals yet.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:40 AM   #26
civickiller
AF Fanatic

hes not autox, he just wants more power or something.

i think for show, type r turbo is the shit
but for performance gsr turbo is the shit
Old 03-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #27
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by B16EJ1

Why do people always say that? The hype about Type R's is what's put out by people who wish they had a Type R. The people with Type R motors build Honda's for what they were made for.... autox, NOT DRAG RACING!!!!
Because it's true man. The type-R engine has the same kind of hype as the type-R it's self. People are always slapping type-R stickers on their car because it's cool to have an R. just like it's cool to have a type-R engine.

And yes I know drag racing isn't the only form of racing. In fact I despise drag racing as a form of racing about as much as nascar. I see drag racing as more of a measure of engineering ability than driving ability, at least until you break the 10 second barrier, and only if you do it with a manuel.

And for anyone who said the type-R isn't made for racing, your wrong, just plain and simply wrong. The type-R is made exactly for racing(minus the fact that it's FWD). But the type of racing is the type honda has always designed they're cars for, track racing.

P.S. People please don't start an argument about how much skill is needed for drag racing and such, that's not what this thread is about.

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
CAptynCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical