Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
suburbanstevie
AF Newbie

Head gasket, external Coolant leak?

Friends, I think I asked something about this a few weeks ago, but couldn't find the thread, so I apologize up front for this duplication.

I've got a slow coolant leak on a '99 3.5L Intrigue. Last year replaced the Cross-over gaskets (see my write-up). But now there is another leak. A suggestion was made about putting tracer fluid into the coolant, which I did. First I cleaned the suspect area with pressure washer to get all the greasy build-up away. And as I suspected, there is a little leakage coming from the front head gasket. ...major Bummer!

Seriously, that would mean I've got to redo the cross-over gaskets and heads, timing chain...etc. I fear this to be a bigger job than I want to undertake.

Does anybody have any idea what a mechanic would charge for this effort? Or is there some easy way of solving this problem? A co-worker suggested I remove the Cam-Cover and snug-down the head bolts. Would that be a possible fix?

Thanks,
Steve
1998 Windstar, 3.0L
1984 Toyota Pick-Up, 22R
suburbanstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Head gasket, external Coolant leak?

I would consider http://www.steelseal.com , let us know how it works!
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
krivasauto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanstevie View Post
First I cleaned the suspect area with pressure washer to get all the greasy build-up away. And as I suspected, there is a little leakage coming from the front head gasket. ...major Bummer!
I am curious - where exactly is the leak? Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanstevie View Post
Does anybody have any idea what a mechanic would charge for this effort? Or is there some easy way of solving this problem? A co-worker suggested I remove the Cam-Cover and snug-down the head bolts. Would that be a possible fix?

Book time is about 13 hours shop labor for one, 18 for both (and a shop would likely recommend both). Shop rates vary so call around. Then you would need parts - the cheapest head gaskets are about $50 each, $50 for the head bolts per head, and you would probably have other parts needing replacement. Like I said in my post about my head gasket, I would seriously consider replacing the timing chains and tensioners, and that's another couple hundred in parts.

Since you demonstrated your proficiency in doing the crossover gaskets, I bet you could do the head gasket. I didn't have any machine work (resurfacing, valves, valve stem seals) done on the head, and it now has about 9K miles on it since the repair. I have seen as high as 32mpg with it, and it runs good. I am really glad I did it and did it myself.

As far as tightening up the head bolts, dicey. They are stretch to yield and when they stretch too far they snap. They go into an aluminum block and have been known to strip. If I were you I would only do this as a last resort (ready to junk the car), and if I were me I wouldn't.

Not good news I know. How much is it leaking? I am living with a small leak in my radiator. This time of year a coolant leak is a whole lot easier to live with, imho.
krivasauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
suburbanstevie
AF Newbie

Hey Krivasauto,

it's leaking sporadically. Seems to be more of a problem after the vehicle is driven on the highway for a little, then might lose about a quart when it all cools down. but this last week driving around town haven't lost more than maybe a couple of "shot-glass" sizes.

I put in "tracer fluid" a week ago, but because I haven't really lost much, the tracer really hasn't come out any cracks yet. maybe this next week the misses will get it on the freeway.

just waiting for tracer fluid to show it's sparkle!
Steve
1998 Windstar, 3.0L
1984 Toyota Pick-Up, 22R
suburbanstevie is offline   Reply With Quote