Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
1997 Camry Temp Guage Fluctuates

My girlfriend's 1997 Camry with about 150k miles has a temp gauge that fluctuates between just above cold to about half. I noticed it gets hotter when idling and gets down to near cold when light on the gas and at a good speed (such as downhill coasting).

I am not at all familiar with Toyotas. Most I did on her car was change the oil a few times. I suspect it's the thermostat, but before I go pick that up, are there any known problems with the cooling systems on these things?

With that said, if the t-stat needs replacement, where can I found instructions on how to flush the cooling system and what anti-freeze product do you recommend? Again, I've never worked on or owned a Toyota so any help is appreciated.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Re: 1997 Camry Temp Guage Fluctuates

Your girlfriend's car has all the symptoms of a thermostat that is stuck in the open position. I would be willing to bet the heat also fluctuates somewhat as the temperature gage goes up and down. The needle should rise to just a bit under halfway on the gage and stay there. I would recommend a Toyota OEM thermostat and gasket. They are generally just a few dollars more than aftermarket and have a jiggle valve (a little bypass hole) that goes at or near the 12:00 position. As far as instructions you can download an entire generation 4 Toyota factory service manual at the top of this forum's home page. Refer to the cooling system section for her particular engine on how to change the thermostat. As far as the type of antifreeze, that's really up to you or you could just get the recommended Toyota antifreeze at a dealer. Again it will be a bit more than the aftermarket stuff.

Mike
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
nmikmik
AF Regular

And after you change the thermostat make sure you use a distilled water when diluting the coolant. I'd say use the premixed 50/50 mixture, but I don't trust the manufacturer to actually use the distilled water in their mixture, parts store says they do but do they?
2002 Lexus LS 430 - 105000 mi
2001 Volvo S40 1.9 T - 140000 mi
nmikmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

A bit more of a pain, but buying full strength and diluting with distilled water saves money versus pre-mixed 50/50. $11 ($10 for full strength + $1 for 1 gallon distilled water) to make 2 gallons coolant while it is $8 to get one gallon of pre-mix. But the premix is handy when you need to top off.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion

I always run up to Walmageddon or whatever place is nearby and get a few gallons of distilled water to flush and fill cooling systems. I find it pretty easy to make a 50/50 mix as long as I know what the capacity of the system is.

I was hoping this would be easy like mine - remove 2 bolts, replace o-ring and t-stat, tighten bolts, and top off degas tank. But it does not appear that way after looking at the service manuals. Let the games begin!

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista