Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
stinkyone
AF Newbie

rotors?

I'm replacing my pads and rotors soon and was wondering if cross drilled and slotted rotors are worth getting
stinkyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
jammyjim
AF Newbie

Re: rotors?

Cross drilled rotors are a bit lighter and have more surface area for better cooling. They look cool if you have spoked rims. I would not suggest slotted rotors unless you are doing serious racing. They help with brake fade as the edges tend to scuff the pads and remove the polishing that occures under heavy braking. Because of this, your pads will wear much quicker. If you want to increase your braking power, I would suggest you replace your rear drums with discs.
I hope this helped you decide.
jammyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

i'd say they aren't worth the money and they will eat regular pads up faster. just go with stock replacements but make sure the ones you get are made in china or canada as the steel is of better quallity and will last longer. The OEM rotors are made in mexico and flake appart and eventually crack.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
TownCarTechi
AF Newbie

I admit this is an old post but I didn't want to create a new one since my question is about rotors. I just replaced the front rotors and pads on my daughter's 99 GMC Jimmy. The old rotors were worn to 1.129" and 1.137" and Pep Boys told me the minimum spec is 1.14", so I purchased new rotors. However, I was very surprised to find that the new rotors measured 1.158" on one and 1.155" on the other. This gives only 0.015 - 0.018" before the rotors are worn out of spec. This seems unusually low to me, or I am just out of touch with the reality of rotor manufacturing?
TownCarTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
wafrederick
Banned

Another thing to check are the fins,they rust out and you will have further problems with warping rotors.If you see this happening,pitch them and get new ones.Also make sure you clean the protective coating off the new rotors with brake clean.Avoid ceramic pads too,they are known for eating up rotors and are noisy due to the metalics in them.Plus they are harder to break in.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownCarTechi View Post
I admit this is an old post but I didn't want to create a new one since my question is about rotors. I just replaced the front rotors and pads on my daughter's 99 GMC Jimmy. The old rotors were worn to 1.129" and 1.137" and Pep Boys told me the minimum spec is 1.14", so I purchased new rotors. However, I was very surprised to find that the new rotors measured 1.158" on one and 1.155" on the other. This gives only 0.015 - 0.018" before the rotors are worn out of spec. This seems unusually low to me, or I am just out of touch with the reality of rotor manufacturing?
It used to be that rotors were thick enough that they could be machined (ground down and resurfaced ) on a brake lathe at least once, sometime 2 or 3 times, when new pads were installed.

In recent years, the aftermarket has been flooded with inexpensive rotors... usually made overseas (Usually China, but I have bought some that were made in Brazil and Argentina, of all places).

These cheap rotors are priced to be competitive with the cost of machining rotors. The idea is that, instead of paying $25 for resurfacing, one will pay $25 to 35 and get all-new rotors. However, these rotors are not only cheaper than, but also thinner than OEM and usually are not thick enough to resurface. Just use then once and throw them away.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy