Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: '00 Grand Cherokee Limited - Good Buy?
Yes! 3 100.00%
No! 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
00GTP4ME
AF Enthusiast

Smile 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited - Good Move?

Hello!

I have NEVER owned a Jeep and I don't have any friends who have one either.
Last night I bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I would like to hear everyone's general opinions about this vehicle. Are they a good car? Are they reliable? Any majorly bad experiences? Any input would be great!

Thanks!

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII V6 S/C
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
----------------------------------------------------
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7L V8
1993 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L V8
1991 Ford Probe LX 3.0 V6
1986 Ford Tempo GL 2.3L 4 cyl.
00GTP4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Bob D.
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited - Good Move?

You came to the right place. You can get an idea about your questions just by browsing some threads here.
But I can tell you your experience will vary, even if it was a brand new Jeep.
There is one thing I would do when buying a new Jeep or any other vehicle; check for fault codes, the ones that do not illuminate the MIL/CHECK ENGINE light.

How well does the automatic a/c work? How many miles? Engine? The 4.0 L in-line six is very reliable but the transmission can be a weak point. The electrical system also can have its share of problems.

Overall they are good vehicles but you should bookmark this reference site:

www.wjjeeps.com

If any issues pop up post them here, most every problem has been covered at least once.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
00GTP4ME
AF Enthusiast

Right after buying it, I took it to my mechanic for a bumper-to-bumper used car analysis like I've done with every car I've ever purchased. This is the ONLY car my mechanic has given back to me with NOTHING to report at all. He said the Jeep is in EXCELLENT condition. He said that there weren't any codes at all and everything looked clean, ran smooth, and was great. Music to my ears.
The engine is the 4.7 V8. It's only got 52,000 miles. For a 2000, I thought that was incredible. There were two previous owners and they were both leases, so the engine and interior are clean enough to eat off of.
My gut tells me that it was a good move, I just have no experience when it comes to Chrysler.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII V6 S/C
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
----------------------------------------------------
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7L V8
1993 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L V8
1991 Ford Probe LX 3.0 V6
1986 Ford Tempo GL 2.3L 4 cyl.
00GTP4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
knelleken
AF Regular

i love my 97 grand cherokee, it has served my well. it is an extremely comfortable car. i take it snowboarding every weekend (in the winter) and never have any problems. it has 4 wheel disc brakes and abs so it stops on a dime, i just realized how great that is yesterday after someone cut me off on cut off of 405 to 84 and i5 then had to slam on there brakes. im telling you it could have been bad. last summers road trip from portland oregon to butte montana then to yellowstone and back through the bottom of idaho. it was hot, high altitude driving, a lot of which was in the rocky mountains. no problems. long gravel roads at high speed(lake cushman, olallie lake) like a dream.

transmission problems? nope not me. i drive the piss out of it but i do all of my scheduled maintenance. my only complaint is the gas mileage i have a 4.0 and get 14-15 in town, 18-20 hwy and 16 high altitude hwy. guess its not that bad(my friends durango gets a solid 12mpg) i have 145k and still running strong and the car is solid(not saggy like worn out ford)

jeeps last forever as long as you take care of them and fix the little things early before they get out of hand. change your oil every 3k.transmission fluid needs to be flushed out along with transfer case fluid every 30k peroid(i dont give a @#*^ what any one sez.)and every 15k for hard trail riders. if you spend the time to get to know your jeep a little so you can figure out its needs, it will never let you down.
knelleken is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8