Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
mrmusic88
AF Newbie

Fan blower not working on level 3???

The fan blower for the heat/ac does not work when you put the blower on level 3. A few years ago, a mechanic said it was a problem with an attenuator (I believe. I cannot remember for sure). He wiggled a small box and it worked again until recently. I don't know where the box was located, or what its technical name is. I would like to replace it. Can anyone help?
mrmusic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
markqc
AF Regular

Re: Fan blower not working on level 3???

Sounds like it could be the blower resister located up behind the fan housing. If this is your problem and you want to change it, I found it is worth the extra 5 minutes to remove the fan housing and fan so that you can get your tools on the bolts holding it in. I think you will only need to remove the front bolt and only loosen the rear two, and you can slide the unit out.

Good luck.
Mark
markqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
mrmusic88
AF Newbie

Question Re: Fan blower not working on level 3???

Thanks. I am, not very experienced with this car, so could you give a "for dummies" explanation of where the blower housing is located?
mrmusic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
markqc
AF Regular

The blower motor is located under the glove box.(where the passenger's feet would be) It's a little awkward to get at like everything else on these vans. I believe there are 3 bolts holding the motor in place. Remove the wire connectors to remove the motor. There are 3 bolts holding the blower resistor in place. You only need to loosen the back two and remove only the front bolt and the unit should slide out.

Good luck,
Mark
markqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Zackor2
AF Newbie

I had same problem, and yes it is hard to get at, but can be done. Remove motor, then resistor pack. I was able to build up a new solder bead on the printed circuit board, with a good soldering iron. Fixed problem about a year ago, and has not come back.
Zackor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmusic88
Thanks. I am, not very experienced with this car, so could you give a "for dummies" explanation of where the blower housing is located?
Here's a link to a diagram of where the resistor is located:http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl251h.htm

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette