Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
sgdtr2989
AF Newbie

Lightbulb twin turbos...

is it at all possible to twin turbocharge a 4 banger? is there a minimum size it would have to be or what? and if you have to ask, im interested because i like the idea of twin turbos and nobody else has done it bfore, though tha t might be for a reason, i dont care, just is it possible or not.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

Re: twin turbos...

there are tt 4 bangers i belive but can't think of them right now, but i am postive it has been done . and fyi this would go in the forced induction section not the trivia one.
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
sgdtr2989
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayStation3
there are tt 4 bangers i belive but can't think of them right now, but i am postive it has been done . and fyi this would go in the forced induction section not the trivia one.
sorry, couldnt find the forced induction section...
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
BeZerK2112
VG30DETT Goodness!

Most cars that are TT's have at least a V6, and for a reason. Each bank of cylinders push's a turbo to get the most out of the turbo.

If you used 2 Cyl for each turbo you could turn the turbine, but it wouldn't turn it very efficiently and you wouldn't get nearly as much boost as you would like. Plus there would be a lot of custom piping to make it work. If you wanted to TT a 4 Cyl. a sequential TT system may be your best bet.

It's just not done much anymore but it is possable.

I would stick with a single turbo, unless you are really looking for a novelty item to talk about. Performance wise... Stick with a single you'll get more bang for the buck!

99 Maxima - View the Project at CarDomain

BeZerK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
sgdtr2989
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeZerK2112
Most cars that are TT's have at least a V6, and for a reason. Each bank of cylinders push's a turbo to get the most out of the turbo.

If you used 2 Cyl for each turbo you could turn the turbine, but it wouldn't turn it very efficiently and you wouldn't get nearly as much boost as you would like. Plus there would be a lot of custom piping to make it work. If you wanted to TT a 4 Cyl. a sequential TT system may be your best bet.

It's just not done much anymore but it is possable.

I would stick with a single turbo, unless you are really looking for a novelty item to talk about. Performance wise... Stick with a single you'll get more bang for the buck!
not that i have the money for the twin turbos or the piping anyway, but thanks for the useful info.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

the thing is that it's just useless on an i4 engine. the reason people do it on v engines is becuausi it's easier to plumb everything. i think single turbos are slightly more efficient, not completely sure, but many people with supras swap out their twins for a larger single turbo.

the only reason i could see for doing a twin setup on an inline engine would be the wow factor. nobody does it so it would look different, but it would probably be a little heavier and less efficient.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 PM   #7
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

there is one reason to go with twins on a 4 cylinder, and thats being a cheap bastard

If your goal is 400 HP, for example, it COULD be cheaper to find two 200hp capable turbo's out of a junk yard vs finding/buying a single that would make 400hp by itself.

But thats the only reason I would ever bother. It'll be heavier, it'll have space issues under the hood with unnecessary extra piping, and it would perform the same as a single.

The ONLY reason to ever go for a twin setup, is if your engine config and engine bay make a single more difficult than a twin setup. There is no performance gains.

This is all assuming that we're talking about turbo's in parallel of course.

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

quick question:
turbos in parallel, this means that you have two turbo's, one on each side, coming from seperate cylinders?
sequential turbos means that one turbo "feeds" another?

if i'm confused, feel free to correct me.
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

in series means one feeds the others. In parallel means that they are independant, either they are fed off a common log, or they are ran from independant cylinders.

Sequential means you have 2 different sized turbo's that are fed through a log, but you have flappers or valves that isolate one turbo from the other, so that they are only engaged individually (if desired) for a portion of the RPM/throttle

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgdtr2989
im interested because i like the idea of twin turbos and nobody else has done it bfore
Have you not heard of a turbo subaru legacy?
They've been doing twin turbo four cylinders for around a decade. But they're boxer engines, not inline.

Do a search for: subaru RSKB4, subaru GTB, Subaru GT or Subaru RS.

I think they've gone back to a single turbo with twin entry for their latest versions though.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
sr20dk
AF Newbie

turbo's are now cheap and efficient enough that it would not be worth the time & effort on a 4cyl, like they said it could be done but not worth it at all. it just sounds cool to some people to hear twin turbo. most inline 6's with twins from the factory, when modified are switched to one more efficient power, that all depends on power levels and goals
sr20dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
sgdtr2989
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20dk
turbo's are now cheap and efficient enough that it would not be worth the time & effort on a 4cyl, like they said it could be done but not worth it at all. it just sounds cool to some people to hear twin turbo. most inline 6's with twins from the factory, when modified are switched to one more efficient power, that all depends on power levels and goals
The twin 6's, i would keep a twin for, hopefully, faster spool on one or the other for a larger powerband, correct me if im wrong because i really dont want to screw up a 6 with twins from the factory
Old 08-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
sr20dk
AF Newbie

v6, yes i would keep them, i said inline i would go single
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
sr20dk
AF Newbie

the smaller turbo in a sequential setup will restrict exhaust flow and become less efficent at higher rpm's, you are right about a broader powerband but less power.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction