Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

Question Some Tinting questions please help

I want to tint my car cause the sun burns my face and arms in the summer here and cause of them annoying suv's with the blinding lights.
The problem is I don't want to get any tickets. I live in Brooklyn, NY and the tint law is 0% windshield down from below the top 6 inches, 70% all side windows and anything in the back if you have side mirrors. From my experience the cops in Brooklyn are very cool (they have other things to worry about). My friend has a honda accord with 20% and he hasn't got pulled yet. But my other friend with 15% from staten island has gotten pulled a few times.
Another problem is I have a WHITE car; I bought it used so I'm not sure if it was tinted but here is a pic:
I want 35% but looking at some pics in the summer sun and at an angle it is significantly dark. So I'm thinking of 50% maybe.
And someone is selling pre-cut tints with the equipment needed and instructions included with a window tint strip for 40 bux here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...temZ8052462921
I read the feedback it seems legit.
Thanks A lot!
RightWingZionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
Re: Some Tinting questions please help

I personally like 35%, that's the legal limit here in washington. And don't buy that shit, you will mess it up. Spend the $150 and have it done professionally.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
s14tilo
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to s14tilo

you can see the tint if it has been done to the window already. I would def. recommend prof. tinting, that is not easy. It really sux when you try and d.i.y, and it ends up looking like complete crap. 35% is what I have and I think it looks good, never had any problems, but the cops here are only worried about speeding and dwi's.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
dave92cherokee
AF Enthusiast

Just go extreme and put 2.5% all the way around including half way down windshield like I did and there won't be any more worries about sun at all. As for doing it yourself it's quite easy to do just takes time and somewhere where the wind isn't blowing and a friend to help and it can look very good. Every vehicle I have owned I did the tint job on them myself and it came out looking just as good if not better than the pro job. But if you're worried about problems then I'd definately recommend getting it done pro. As for your car 35% would look pretty good and would look darker because it's a white car so the contrast cuts it down too. Have you checked to see if mirror tint is allowed there or not. If it is get mirror tint it blocks out the sun and alot of heat and doesn't cut down on the visibility from inside out as much as black tint does.
dave92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

I already ordered it and installed the two fronts at 35% and the tint 6" tint strip w/ 15%. The rears...I fucked up. The tint strip was very easy since I could remove the rear view mirror. I did not bother with the rear window since I need a heat gun and some experience, I'll go to a shop for that, and the two rear windows...the instructions make it sound so easy to tuck in the 'extra' tint that lays on the bottom behind the rubber weather seal at the bottom of the inside window -it's impossible. Since you have to tuck in the sides first it is impossible to slide the bottom under the rubber seal, i tried to feed it in as per directions but both tints creased so I got pissed and tookem off. What I did for the fronts is use a small sharp box cutter I had and cut right above the weather rubber seal. I checked it today, the tint expanded like 1/2 mm-1mm behind the seal and it doesnt curl up thatnk G-d; I also squeeged what was left around the borders and the fronts look gr8.
You guys know how much it might cost for just the back? If I can I might order for the two back windows and just cut the tint above the rubber like i did for the fronts.

P.S Legal in NYC is 70% which is stupid like most of the stupid laws here made by annoying whiney voiced quizling politicians here. Forget about mirrored, the cops would beat the crap outta me if I did that, they can't see inside at all with thouse and it would blind people at night. From what I hear they wont pulll you over with 35% cause they can still see you inside at night. Also, was that 2.5% all around a joke?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
dave92cherokee
AF Enthusiast

Nope no joke I've got 2.5% on all the windows on my 4 door cherokee and about a 10 inch strip going across the windshield. When I get the money up to get more tint I'm going to put on another 2.5% layer on top of what's already there as you can still see in just a little if you press your face against the glass.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

dry humour
Old 04-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
dave92cherokee
AF Enthusiast

There was no humor meant there at all. I don't want anyone to be able to see inside the car at all unless they look in through the windshield which if they touch it that will set off the alarm from the shock sensor for it. Mainly doing this because I use my cherokee partly for work so when I have over 10 grand of equipment inside in the back don't want anybody to be able to walk by and see it in there.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics