Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
barkboy6
AF Newbie

'85 SS Fuel Problem

My 85 has not been running right for over a month now and I can't figure out what's wrong. It runs and drives fine for about 30 minutes or so, then it acts like it is running out of gas. I've replaced the fuel filter, MAP sensor, EGR valve, ignition module, and the fuel pump. I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed the fuel pump problem and replaced it, along with some vacuum hoses with pinholes.

It ran good after the pump replacement and I thought it was fixed, but it started up with the same problem. I took it back and he found/replaced another hose with a pinhole, yet it is still not fixed. The car is 20 years old and had been sitting in a garage for about 2 years before I bought it. What other areas of the car might I check out that could be causing this problem? Could the plugs and wires be the cause? The car only messes up after it gets warm, maybe something is failing only after it heats up?
barkboy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: '85 SS Fuel Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkboy6
My 85 has not been running right for over a month now and I can't figure out what's wrong. It runs and drives fine for about 30 minutes or so, then it acts like it is running out of gas. I've replaced the fuel filter, MAP sensor, EGR valve, ignition module, and the fuel pump. I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed the fuel pump problem and replaced it, along with some vacuum hoses with pinholes.

It ran good after the pump replacement and I thought it was fixed, but it started up with the same problem. I took it back and he found/replaced another hose with a pinhole, yet it is still not fixed. The car is 20 years old and had been sitting in a garage for about 2 years before I bought it. What other areas of the car might I check out that could be causing this problem? Could the plugs and wires be the cause? The car only messes up after it gets warm, maybe something is failing only after it heats up?
How about the filter in the carb inlet?
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
barkboy6
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '85 SS Fuel Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
How about the filter in the carb inlet?

I haven't checked that at all. Where exactly is it, and how can I tell if it needs to be replaced?
barkboy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
99grandgt
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 99grandgt Send a message via Yahoo to 99grandgt
Re: '85 SS Fuel Problem

sitting for two years, its gonna need replaced. it is in the carb where the fuel line goes in...jsut inscrew it and put a new one on/in. if its a q-jet.
possibly a g8 gt when i get to cali
99grandgt is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo