Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
96AcuraTeg
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 96AcuraTeg
Mirror Interior

i want to put mirrors on the floorboards and the roof. problem is (1) should i use one big mirror for the roof or a bunch of 1' x 1' squares (2) where to get them (3) how to keep them still and (4) would it work to put them on the floorboards and then cover them with plexiglass so they wont crack,break,etc.??????any help would be appreciated alot
96AcuraTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
99SilveradoGuy
AF Newbie

one big mirror for the roof should do it to keep the appearance smoother , but for the floor normal mirrors would probally crack/break from the bumps and pressure of steping on them, even with plexiglass top. Id try and find an alternative for the floor , possibly some Chrome type tape carefully taped onto a thin piece of wood/plexiglass lined up with each piece so it looks seemless, then a plexiglass or simliar see thru top. The mirror on the floor would be nice for a car show , but wouldnt be practical for everyday use.
99SilveradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

Mirror headliner sounds like it would look funny and blind you when that _____ pulls up behind you with bright lights

floors sound great though, I recommend shaping and polishing sheet metal instead of tape/mirrors. If done right, you can get a perfect mirror finish, and would be durable and easily cleanable, hard part will be shaping it, but if you're going for something like floor mats it'd be easy.

Hmmm... I may try this myself,
'97 Maroon SL1- Bored Throttle Body, Knife Edged Throttle Plate, Short Ram Intake 3" Cone Filter, Flip Flop Trunk, Red Enameled Engine, Interior & Exterior Painting Mods, 4" Burnt Tip Muffler, DRLs ON A SWITCH!, "Rims", Seat Covers, And A Stereo System Thats Too Good!, Other various mods and detailing...
mysatilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
notladstyle@yahoo.
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notladstyle@yahoo. Send a message via Yahoo to notladstyle@yahoo.
Re: Mirror Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96AcuraTeg
i want to put mirrors on the floorboards and the roof. problem is (1) should i use one big mirror for the roof or a bunch of 1' x 1' squares (2) where to get them (3) how to keep them still and (4) would it work to put them on the floorboards and then cover them with plexiglass so they wont crack,break,etc.??????any help would be appreciated alot
1use at least 4 different pieces for the roof, the roll bars sway while maneuvering, you will eventually break/warp one single mirror.

2wallmart housing section, make sure you buy plexyglass(home depot) to cover them

3take the carpet and headliner out and use lots & lots of glue - personal preference I would use 3m adhesive so that when you realize how bad it looks you can remove them with little trouble.

4you could get plastic based mirrors, also at wallmart for cheap but they will probably melt in extreme heat and require replacement frequently.

It seems my sig pic was too big for some ppl to see on their screens - srry about that
notladstyle@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

The plastic mirrors are a good idea,
although, yes they would require frequent replacement, but if cheap they're worth a try.

My thoughts on using mirror polished metal will give you a much more durable surface. But require more prep work.

Supplies:
  • Aluminum sheet metal
  • tin snips
  • several polishing pads
  • metal polish
  • hammer wrapped in a towel
  • Rubber lip, or other cover for sharp edges

Again though, even plastic mirrors will not give you mirror floorboards, more like mirror floor mats...

I'm still considering mounting some neons and trying this out for myself. It sounds like it would look pretty cool. Even though my buddy looked at me like I was crazy/stupid when I brought it up, " Mirror Interior?!?"
I still think its a good idea, props for being creative
'97 Maroon SL1- Bored Throttle Body, Knife Edged Throttle Plate, Short Ram Intake 3" Cone Filter, Flip Flop Trunk, Red Enameled Engine, Interior & Exterior Painting Mods, 4" Burnt Tip Muffler, DRLs ON A SWITCH!, "Rims", Seat Covers, And A Stereo System Thats Too Good!, Other various mods and detailing...

Last edited by mysatilac; 04-14-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:47 AM   #6
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird
Re: Mirror Interior

mirrors wont absorb and diffuse the light from the neons though, it will only reflect it sharply. Like if you park your car over a wet surface and turn on your neons, it isnt as bright as over a dry surface. White upholstery would react better with neons than mirrors.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

I agree, but with mirrors if you set up the neons right you'll be at the right angle for the reflection of light, so you'll see it, but, your right, it won't light up your floorboards,

Although the white would probably be a more dramatic effect with the lights on, during the day they would be pointless and not as unique as mirror or metal, the metal floorboards would hide dirt much more easily, and depending on your polishing job would reflect the light just as well (not too polished would disperse the light, instead of reflecting it directly)...

He also didn't say he was going to mount neons at all, I suggested that for my own application, but of course thanks for the tip

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General